News Article: As of today Auston Matthews would be 2nd in voting for the Lady Byng

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Probably a bonus hunting objective. Rather him be mean, wins you more.

I'm all for Matthews getting a Malkin type mean streak but being mean and racking up PIMs are two different things imo.
I'd rather Matthews gets the lowest amount of PIMs possible in his career, the more he's on the ice the better.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
No it isn't

Passionate people take penalties because they stand for something or up for someone. They can not help get involved. Its going to happen. Most of the best real true leaders and Champions have edge. Toews, Crosby, Doughty, Messier etc etc.

Some people would say Sundin lacked a level of passion when he played for the Leafs, something Roberts had in abundance. Although I am not sure I really agree with that, I do know we did not win with Sundin. Gretzky did no win without Messier.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Passionate people take penalties because they stand for something or up for someone. They can not help get involved. Its going to happen. Most of the best real true leaders and Champions have edge. Toews, Crosby, Doughty, Messier etc etc.

Some people would say Sundin lacked a level of passion when he played for the Leafs, something Roberts had in abundance. Although I am not sure I really agree with that, I do know we did not win with Sundin. Gretzky did no win without Messier.
We didn't win with a lot of guys.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

Guys like Sakic and Keon seemed to do just fine while winning the trophy

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Pavel Datsyuk won four of them...I'm ok with Matthews winning a Byng or four.

Matthews obviously has a 200 ft game. Stick handling is...Well I'll say it, I think he's got the best set of hands in the league. He's 20. He's 6'3 and 213 (+/- a couple of pounds here and there) lbs. He's 20. He got a Calder in his first season - scoring 40 goals. Did I mention he's 20?

Like Ulf55 noted (and BSB noted), if the trophies roll for Matthews like they did for Keon (or whatever great ) then that's just something else to be thankful for with our franchise number one centre in tow.
Gaudreau, Kane, McDavid all are visibly better

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I'm pretty sure this is a bit of a joke award to the players. The winner probably gets chirped pretty bad.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Yep, I guess all Leaf haters, will despise Matthews for being so soft. Maybe Andersen wins the Vezina but only because he faces too many shots because the Leafs defence horrible. Leafs reach the Stanley Cup only because they are in the weak Atlantic division.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The sad part is you think you're doing well.

It's absolutely a Joke award. Gretzky just got awards because. No tender has ever won a Byng, why? It's not an award, Sakic, Gretzky, Kurri, Hull and some other won it with over 30mins in penalties. It's seriously just a joke like the All Star game. So the guy that treated the ASG like a total joke could possibly win the joke Byng award. Big whoop, get us a Rocket or something.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Kopitar won the award too. Just because you're not an idiot running around and taking penalties doesn't mean you can't be an imposing force.

That's actually even more impressive imo if you don't take penalties while being responsible and getting as many points as they do.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Not sure about Lady Byng, but Matthews will be winning the Lady Bling on his next contract.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
No way a guy as big and strong as Matthews should be winning an award for gentlemanly play. That's pretty embarrassing.

He checks, steals pucks, makes plays, scores and helps his team win games...all the things he can't do while sitting in the penalty box.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad