News Article: As of today Auston Matthews would be 2nd in voting for the Lady Byng

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
PHWA announces midseason award winners

Lady Byng Trophy
- to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability.
1. Johnny Gaudreau, Calgary Flames
2. Auston Matthews, Toronto Maple Leafs
3. Ryan O’Reilly, Buffalo Sabres

The PHWA announced it's midseason awards and they have Auston Matthews finishing 2nd in voting for the Lady Byng to Johnny Gaudreau. I know right now Gaudreau has more points if you want to factor that in, however he also has 10 penalty minutes, where as Matthews has 4 penalty minutes. So assuming Matthews doesn't take any more penalties and finishes with the least amount, shouldn't that get him the award? Plus isn't the least penalty minutes the basis for the award?

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Lady Byng is a meh trophy IMHO. I will wait for the MVP and/or Rocket Richard, maybe next year.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

Lady Byng Trophy
- to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability.

The PHWA announced it's midseason awards and they have Auston Matthews finishing 2nd in voting for the Lady Byng to Johnny Gaudreau. I know right now Gaudreau has more points if you want to factor that in, however he also has 10 penalty minutes, where as Matthews has 4 penalty minutes. So assuming Matthews doesn't take any more penalties and finishes with the least amount, shouldn't that get him the award? Plus isn't the least penalty minutes the basis for the award?

"player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability"

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Hello my fellow Toronto Maple Leafs fans. I'm Faraaz!

First time poster, long time lurker. Wanted to register many years ago but had some issues so just stuck to reading along. Lots of knowledgeable fans on this board who love the game and the Leafs. Makes for great discussion. Glad to be a part of HFBoards, finally! Hockey is everything for me! I've been watching the game since I was 7 years old. Fell in love with it right away. It definitely is the coolest game on Earth.

In regards to OP question, glad to see Auston is getting the recognition for the work he has put in the defensive zone as well as being very disciplined. His back checking is also superb. Such a terrific player, and absolutely thrilled he's a Leaf. He's someone we've wanted for decades. I'd be nice for him to win the award. Should be interesting how it all ends up. Gaudreau also got a suspension last year for diving - and he still won.

Just wanted to give my thoughts on the game last night - many didn't expect the Leafs to beat the Stars, seeing as how hot the Stars have been and how the Leafs have been playing prior to the line changes, which makes sense.

The Leafs played a great game last night against the Stars - one of our more complete efforts this year, without Andersen, Rielly & Zaitsev. On top it was a back-to-back. That's pretty damn impressive. Nice way to head into the break.

Glad we get to see Matty at the festivities on Saturday & Sunday - I hope he takes the accuracy shooting event this year, would be so sweet. He came close last year but Sid got the better of him.
I've been enjoying the ride so far. We finally have so much talent which will only improve as time goes on. The boys are learning how to play 200 feet which will make them better players, and overall - a better team going forward.

IMO, and many would agree - our MVP for the first half easily goes to Fred! He's been a revelation since he got here - beauty trade by Lou! Glad it's worked out.

Last but not the least, thank you to these special numbers: 6, 8, 5, and 13.

Lets finish the next half strong boys!

Go Leafs Go!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hello my fellow Toronto Maple Leafs fans. I'm Faraaz!

First time poster, long time lurker. Wanted to register many years ago but had some issues so just stuck to reading along. Lots of knowledgeable fans on this board who love the game and the Leafs. Makes for great discussion. Glad to be a part of HFBoards, finally! Hockey is everything for me! I've been watching the game since I was 7 years old. Fell in love with it right away. It definitely is the coolest game on Earth.

In regards to OP question, glad to see Auston is getting the recognition for the work he has put in the defensive zone as well as being very disciplined. His back checking is also superb. Such a terrific player, and absolutely thrilled he's a Leaf. He's someone we've wanted for decades. I'd be nice for him to win the award. Should be interesting how it all ends up. Gaudreau also got a suspension last year for diving - and he still won.

Just wanted to give my thoughts on the game last night - many didn't expect the Leafs to beat the Stars, seeing as how hot the Stars have been and how the Leafs have been playing prior to the line changes, which makes sense.

The Leafs played a great game last night against the Stars - one of our more complete efforts this year, without Andersen, Rielly & Zaitsev. On top it was a back-to-back. That's pretty damn impressive. Nice way to head into the break.

Glad we get to see Matty at the festivities on Saturday & Sunday - I hope he takes the accuracy shooting event this year, would be so sweet. He came close last year but Sid got the better of him.
I've been enjoying the ride so far. We finally have so much talent which will only improve as time goes on. The boys are learning how to play 200 feet which will make them better players, and overall - a better team going forward.

IMO, and many would agree - our MVP for the first half easily goes to Fred! He's been a revelation since he got here - beauty trade by Lou! Glad it's worked out.

Last but not the least, thank you to these special numbers: 6, 8, 5, and 13.

Lets finish the next half strong boys!

Go Leafs Go!
Welcome to the boards.

Reactions: MattySnipes

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Wow I completely forgot about Gaudreau being suspended last year and still winning it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Lady Byng Trophy

I want him to go the other way. But that's nice I guess. I would be a little embarrassed by the nomination but its me.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Lady Byng Trophy

Least PIM is part of it, but it's also - probably equally - about playing at a high level at the same time, so points are the other half of that. Will be interesting to see how the second half of the season plays out. Would be nice to have Matthews win it though, on the way to bigger achievements.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
While not the biggest deal, a look at the names of the multiple-time Byng winners over the last 100 years shows some pretty good company.

Every 3 time Byng winner is both a hall of famer and a cup champion. Every 2 time Byng winner is either a hall of famer or a cup champion as a major contributor, and in most cases is both a hall of famer and a cup champion.

Bodes well for Matthews if multiple-time Byng winners all seem to be doing something right over their careers.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
While not the biggest deal, a look at the names of the multiple-time Byng winners over the last 100 years shows some pretty good company.

Every 3 time Byng winner is both a hall of famer and a cup champion. Every 2 time Byng winner is either a hall of famer or a cup champion as a major contributor, and in most cases is both a hall of famer and a cup champion.

Bodes well for Matthews if multiple-time Byng winners all seem to be doing something right over their careers.

Interesting. I never really cared about the Byng, but that does seem to bode well.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Pavel Datsyuk won four of them...I'm ok with Matthews winning a Byng or four.

Matthews obviously has a 200 ft game. Stick handling is...Well I'll say it, I think he's got the best set of hands in the league. He's 20. He's 6'3 and 213 (+/- a couple of pounds here and there) lbs. He's 20. He got a Calder in his first season - scoring 40 goals. Did I mention he's 20?

Like Ulf55 noted (and BSB noted), if the trophies roll for Matthews like they did for Keon (or whatever great ) then that's just something else to be thankful for with our franchise number one centre in tow.

Reactions: Slot

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Think the Byng gets underrated, you see some of the most respected guys in the league win those.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This is the award that is supposed to be a kick in the pants to players to play more on the mean side.

Reactions: Macallan18

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
He should be #1 I think he only has 4 PIM

I want him to get as much hardware as possible

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
He should be #1 I think he only has 4 PIM

I want him to get as much hardware as possible

Yep he only has 4 PIM atm

#1 Gaudreau 49gp 15g 41a 56p 10 PIM
#2 Matthews 41gp 22g 15a 37p 4 PIM
#3 O'Reilly 48 GP 13g 20a 33p 2 PIM

I think if Matthews goes on a hot streak (which it seems like he's due for) he could potentially take the Byng this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad