News Article: As of today Auston Matthews would be 2nd in voting for the Lady Byng

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kopitar won the award too. Just because you're not an idiot running around and taking penalties doesn't mean you can't be an imposing force.

That's actually even more impressive imo if you don't take penalties while being responsible and getting as many points as they do.

So because you are an aggressive player (majority) you are an idiot. Nice one there bud.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
So because you are an aggressive player (majority) you are an idiot. Nice one there bud.
That's not what I wrote though?
I don't consider players taking more penalties than they absolutely need to very smart, do you?

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Gaudreau, Kane, McDavid all are visibly better

As opposed to invisibly better? I kid, I get your rationale. I'm not sure what the appropriate descriptor is or whether it's just something situational, but in the same way that more and more skaters (over the years) seem to be incorporating 10-to-2 elements in their gameplay, I find that Matthews incorporates elements of stick handling that seem...playful, but at lightning speed? And some of his puck protection, timing is just fantastic. Datsyukian at times.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't consider players taking more penalties than they absolutely need to very smart, do you?

Lets face it. It's the award for players that are not really very physical or emotional on the ice. Matthews softly rubs guys out and gains position with his tools routinely. Never uses his body aggressively. Just a few games ago someone was pushing him around behind the play (escapes me right now who and what team) but he was getting pushed around bad and he had no response.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Lets face it. It's the award for players that are not really very physical or emotional on the ice. Matthews softly rubs guys out and gains position with his tools routinely. Never uses his body aggressively. Just a few games ago someone was pushing him around behind the play (escapes me right now who and what team) but he was getting pushed around bad and he had no response.

Why do you keep saying let's face it?

"Softly rubs guys out" That's an actual thing?
"Never uses his body"

Okay I think you and I are getting the term aggressive confused. Matthews "aggressively" wins battles and "aggressively" goes to the dirty areas all the time. I know you want Matthews to "aggressively" take penalties but I think most people would agree that we should have him on the ice more and continue to put up points "aggressively".

Did you see the list of winners for this award? Would you say Keon was not very emotional on the ice?

I think you'll be very sad to hear that Matthews won't be our next Wendel Clark.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
This award should be reserved for the Denis Savards and Cliff Ronnings of the NHL. It's not an award Matthews should be proud of.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
This award should be reserved for the Denis Savards and Cliff Ronnings of the NHL. It's not an award Matthews should be proud of.

lmaooo he should mention that in his award speech. i've brought great shame upon myself, my family, my teammates, the Leafs and Leafs nation.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
OP, please fix the thread title - it's Byng, not "Bying".
I tried doing that, however I can't see where to do it since the boards changed their format. So if one of the moderators see this can you please edit the title.

Edit: I was able to figure out how to change the thread title.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad