As of mid-December - who are your top 3 Stanley Cup favorites?

Who do you consider the top 3 Stanley Cup favorites as of today?

• Total voters

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
1. Tampa
2. Colorado (getting better lately)
3. Carolina (although they look quite average with few key guys missing..)
4. Florida (assuming they get a good coach)

(I'd like to also add Toronto, but we all know how their last few playoffs have gone..)

Reactions: MaKarter

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Depth and defense win Cups. Wild are top 5, arguably top 3 in both. Sure they are lacking multiple superstar players up front but they have 2 elite two way defenseman and Kaprizov has the ability to carry an offense. The team as a whole also plays playoff style hockey. The wild card in this scenario is goaltending. As long as Talbot makes the saves when he needs to Minnesota is in the conversation
Who?

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
If Tampa goes down, seems more wide open then ever before. Tampa stays healthy and gets the injured back they will take everyone to the woodshed again.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Any of Florida, Washington, Vancouver, Tampa, Carolina are good options here

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
If Tampa goes down, seems more wide open then ever before. Tampa stays healthy and gets the injured back they will take everyone to the woodshed again.
Vasi is the biggest trump card they have imo. You can play your best which will likely resulting in playing even with the Lightning. But they have the best goalie in hockey and you don't. That's so tough to beat

Reactions: Caps8112

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Vasi is the biggest trump card they have imo. You can play your best which will likely resulting in playing even with the Lightning. But they have the best goalie in hockey and you don't. That's so tough to beat
Vasi is the best but doesn't scare me the way prime lundqvist did. The caps having beaten him before may be some if that confidence

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
People underrating the Wild as usual. They will say they are unproven in the playoffs but then go ahead and put Florida second, a team who hasn’t won a playoff round since 1996

The Wild's center depth and lack of elite center immediately writes them off for me as a Cup favorite.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Depth and defense win Cups. Wild are top 5, arguably top 3 in both. Sure they are lacking multiple superstar players up front but they have 2 elite two way defenseman and Kaprizov has the ability to carry an offense. The team as a whole also plays playoff style hockey. The wild card in this scenario is goaltending. As long as Talbot makes the saves when he needs to Minnesota is in the conversation

Who are their 2 elite two-way defensemen? And you can't say the team as a whole plays playoff style hockey when they haven't gotten past the first round in...how long?

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
1. Tampa Bay
2. Vegas
3. Washington

Anyone naming Colorado should notice that this is about Stanley Cup, not Presidents' Trophy. I have no problem believing Avalanche win the regular season again, but I don't have a slightest trust in them getting to the 3rd round of playoffs. Without Patrick Roy in goal, it hasn't happened in 35 years. No matter how many Joe Sakics or Cale Makars they've had.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Florida's longest drought doesn't seem to play a factor.
Weird.

The difference between Florida against Colorado or Toronto is that the later two have choked in the playoffs for the last eternity (Colorado exactly one round later than Toronto) while the former hasn't just been all that good at all.

I find it interesting how dead set people are that you flatout have to be great in regular season or you have no chance. If I checked this correctly, during the salary cap era it has been just as common that #18 of regular season goes all the way to Finals as it is that the Finals are played between teams, that both finished in top-5 of the regular season.

I'd be actually willing to bet that at least one of the 2022 Stanley Cup finalists will not finish in the top-5 of the regular season 2021-22.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad