As of mid-December - who are your top 3 Stanley Cup favorites?

Who do you consider the top 3 Stanley Cup favorites as of today?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Who do you think are the 3 teams most likely to win the Stanley Cup this year? For reference, we did some polls in the off-season in terms of who HF thought was the top Stanley Cup favorites going into the year, and here's how they ranked:

1. Tampa
2. Colorado
3. NY Isles
4. Vegas
5. Carolina
6. Florida
7. Boston
8. Winnipeg
9. Toronto
10. Pittsburgh

As of today, league standings are like this (this is total points, not p%):

1. Florida
2. Washington
3. Toronto
4. Carolina
5. Rangers
6. Wild
7. Tampa
8. Anaheim
9. Calgary
10. Nashville

So 6 of the top 10 teams today didn't make our list in the off-season of top 10 Cup Favorites. If instead of points I went by point percentage, Colorado would make the top 10 too.

But of course - this is just regular season standings. Wild is feasting in what so far has been a weak division - do people here consider them a top 3 cup favorite? Florida still hasn't won a single playoff round in 25 years - can they go all the way? Toronto - same boat as Florida pretty much. Vegas out of top 10 currently - but have had a lot of injuries, and still have a +Eichel to add by playoffs possibly - are they top 3? Is Tampa still top 1, with Kucherov coming back soon? Do you have Habs - last year's finalists - as top 3? Will the Isles come roaring back?

Vote for your top 3, and rank them. I listed the top 15 teams in the standing currently in order for you to choose from - you can also vote 'other' if you think a team not-listed should be top 3

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Here's my rank:

1. Tampa. Simply put - they're still the best team on paper, coasting a bit in the season, but will easily make playoffs and are the team to beat. I know it's hard to 3 peat, but they have better odds than any other 1 team.

2. Colorado. They started out slow but are ramping up again. I think the western conference is weaker too, easier path to the finals

3. Vegas. I really like the Eichel addition, and the overall playoff experience they have. That core hasn't won a cup, but they've won a ton of playoff rounds. Weaker western conference, easier path to finals, I could see them go all the way.

Very seriously considered Pittsburgh + Washington too at #3, who I think both could still win 1 more time.
I could see teams like Florida or Carolina do good - but I'm a bit unsure about them and how they'll do in playoffs.
Edmonton an x-factor - also very seriously considered voting for at #3, due to McDrai, but decided against it.

Reactions: wetcoast

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
1. Florida. Their goaltending was the question mark, but Bobrosvsky has looked good. Insanely deep.
2. Tampa. They're winning games without Kucherov and Point. Could move them to 1 since they are the proven winners.
3. Colorado. Starting to heat up. Toews and Makar have been great. Getting everyone healthy should really show us what they are.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Tampa as they are the favorite until proven otherwise. Then Canes/Florida. I'd put Canes first just since Florida will have to go through Tampa before the Canes would have to. I really do think whichever of these 3 teams come out of the east wins it though. Vegas if Eichel does actually come back full strength this season would also be up there, but I'm highly skeptical.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Florida, Carolina, Tampa

Remember, Tampa doesn't even have Kucherov yet. And Point is out for a little while longer as well. Colorado HM at 4th for me. But I really like the way the Panthers/Canes have built their team, very well balanced with lots of emphasis on team D. I'd put my Leafs as the 5th favorite.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Tampa

Florida
Colorado

I only put Colorado because I think the West has an easier path to the SCF. Otherwise I’d have Carolina.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
1. Tampa. Same situation that Pens had in 2018. I will have them as a #1 until they lose no matter how other teams dominate in regular season.

2. Colorado have advantage to other good teams because they play in easy conference and they should not meet good teams before conference finals or finals if Vegas fail.

3. Florida. I'm not as convinced as from other two but this was between them and Carolina. Vegas can also get hot with Eichel and they have same situation as Colorado

P.s. As a guy who predicted Isles to not make playoffs it's hilarious to see them as a 3rd in a poll before season.

Reactions: MaKarter

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
People underrating the Wild as usual. They will say they are unproven in the playoffs but then go ahead and put Florida second, a team who hasn’t won a playoff round since 1996

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
People underrating the Wild as usual. They will say they are unproven in the playoffs but then go ahead and put Florida second, a team who hasn’t won a playoff round since 1996

The Wild have good depth, which is crucial for playoff success. However, they don’t have enough high-end depth to make them a serious contender. They have been great this year because everyone is pitching in; but if that trend stops, which it likely will, they’re going to struggle.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
The Wild have good depth, which is crucial for playoff success. However, they don’t have enough high-end depth to make them a serious contender. They have been great this year because everyone is pitching in; but if that trend stops, which it likely will, they’re going to struggle.
Depth and defense win Cups. Wild are top 5, arguably top 3 in both. Sure they are lacking multiple superstar players up front but they have 2 elite two way defenseman and Kaprizov has the ability to carry an offense. The team as a whole also plays playoff style hockey. The wild card in this scenario is goaltending. As long as Talbot makes the saves when he needs to Minnesota is in the conversation

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Florida/Carolina/Colorado with Tampa and Washington closely behind.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Tampa
Colorado
Florida

I mean, Tampa is blowing teams away without their best offensive player. Would like it if they would f*** off, but based on results it's pretty hard to not have them #1.

Reactions: MaKarter

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I think Washington has a real chance this year but getting out of the Atlantic is going to be real tough with Tampa, Florida, and Carolina

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Tampa and Colorado based on raw talent, with Calgary as the fancy stats dark horse. Florida is a very strong fancy stats HM, I just think they have a tougher path through the East than Calgary through the West.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Tampa, Carolina, Florida are the three best right now imo. I find Colorado a bit overrated - great high end talent, but not well rounded enough for the playoffs.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Tampa
Colorado
Florida

I mean, Tampa is blowing teams away without their best offensive player. Would like it if they would f*** off, but based on results it's pretty hard to not have them #1.
Other than Ottawa shutting them out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad