As of mid-December - who are your top 3 Stanley Cup favorites?

Who do you consider the top 3 Stanley Cup favorites as of today?

• Total voters

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
1. Tampa Bay
2. Vegas
3. Washington

Anyone naming Colorado should notice that this is about Stanley Cup, not Presidents' Trophy. I have no problem believing Avalanche win the regular season again, but I don't have a slightest trust in them getting to the 3rd round of playoffs. Without Patrick Roy in goal, it hasn't happened in 35 years. No matter how many Joe Sakics or Cale Makars they've had.

This would be my order, as well. I could see teams like Colorado or Carolina winning it. I could even see teams like Toronto or Florida winning it, but I have a hard time thinking the favorites aren’t the teams that have won the Cup or been deep in the playoffs.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
I don't understand what Florida has done to be held in much higher esteem than Toronto?

Both have pretty much identical records and analytics this year (both are top 3 in xGF% at 5v5 and all situations) and neither have made it out of the 1st round in like forever...

Reactions: Pyrophorus

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Here's my rank:

1. Tampa. Simply put - they're still the best team on paper, coasting a bit in the season, but will easily make playoffs and are the team to beat. I know it's hard to 3 peat, but they have better odds than any other 1 team.

2. Colorado. They started out slow but are ramping up again. I think the western conference is weaker too, easier path to the finals

3. Vegas. I really like the Eichel addition, and the overall playoff experience they have. That core hasn't won a cup, but they've won a ton of playoff rounds. Weaker western conference, easier path to finals, I could see them go all the way.

Very seriously considered Pittsburgh + Washington too at #3, who I think both could still win 1 more time.
I could see teams like Florida or Carolina do good - but I'm a bit unsure about them and how they'll do in playoffs.
Edmonton an x-factor - also very seriously considered voting for at #3, due to McDrai, but decided against it.

Good post although I took Edmonton instead of the Avs but they round out my top 5 along with the Canes.

Florida, Toronto, Pittsburg, Washington and Calgary round out my top 10 assuming full health ect but we all know this year is still Covid times so who knows.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I don't understand what Florida has done to be held in much higher esteem than Toronto?

Both have pretty much identical records and analytics this year (both are top 3 in xGF% at 5v5 and all situations) and neither have made it out of the 1st round in like forever...
Because we know Toronto sucks in the playoffs. While we don't know whether Florida will be able to succeed in the playoffs, we don't know that they won't either.

Basically what I'm saying, people will take the question mark over known chokers.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Because we know Toronto sucks in the playoffs. While we don't know whether Florida will be able to succeed in the playoffs, we don't know that they won't either.

Basically what I'm saying, people will take the question mark over known chokers.
Sure they will. Question is how a team like tampa might be viewed if they lost to the leafs in the early round of the playoffs

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Sure they will. Question is how a team like tampa might be viewed if they lost to the leafs in the early round of the playoffs
I guess the same way the Leafs have been viewed since losing to the Habs in the 1st rd............. and every other team that has disposed of them in the 1st rd.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Toronto, Carolina, and Colorado. HM's to Tampa and Florida. Still think Colorado has a big advantage since they're the only team from the west in that group.

Honest M

May 11, 2012
I guess the same way the Leafs have been viewed since losing to the Habs in the 1st rd............. and every other team that has disposed of them in the 1st rd.

You really think so, with back to back cups that they are seen as the leafs of they now loose in first round huhhh :confused:

I think not. Tampa is proven playoff team with a solid roster not chokers, even if they would lose in a first round. Any teem to beat them would have to be really good and determent.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
If Eichel comes back strong I really think Vegas might creep up on people.

Carolina is due to get over the hump too. Such a good team.

I picked Florida over Tampa even though I honestly think Tampa might come up better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad