As of 2023, International hockey is dead

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Yeah of course, there's a definitely a pyramid, but the pyramid is way wider in terms of the numbers at every layer of it.
Yes, football works much better. No question at all! But this sport is also going in a bad direction. Tha'ts what I meant!

member 305909

Soccer-leagues don't have a salary-cap. So you have leagues with teams winning 12 times in a row.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
No one considers men's Olympic soccer to be a big deal and rightly so, no matter what the quality of the football, because of the FIFA-imposed limits on available players.

Olympic football kinda holds the role WJC holds in hockey, and a lot of people who are into hockey consider the WJC a pretty big deal. For what it's worth, both Messi and C. Ronaldo competed at the Olympics, and a lot of other high profile players too such as Xavi, Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Neymar, Agüero, et cetera. Even Ryan Giggs.

You're making it sound like it's only Jonny Rödlund calibre players.

Nothing beats the Olympic atmosphere.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
The number of blowouts in high level hockey are an indication that there are too many teams in play. Games that end, for example, 9-3, just show that the disparity in teams is so great, ergo, that kind of hockey is uninteresting, or, as a poster here says, is dead.

So the NHL needs to reduce the number of teams in the playoffs to 1, obviously.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
The number of blowouts in high level hockey are an indication that there are too many teams in play. Games that end, for example, 9-3, just show that the disparity in teams is so great, ergo, that kind of hockey is uninteresting, or, as a poster here says, is dead.

So the NHL needs to reduce the number of teams in the playoffs to 1, obviously.
This was great. TIme to relegate Florida I guess.lol

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
For what it's worth, both Messi and C. Ronaldo competed at the Olympics, and a lot of other high profile players too such as Xavi, Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Neymar, Agüero, et cetera. Even Ryan Giggs.

Same with the IIHF World Championships. Gretzky, McDavid, they've all played that tournament.

They don't usually go every single time, unlike a best-on-best scenario where it's rare to refuse a spot.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I believe a part of the point was that the Olympics in soccer have been the primary international stage for some all-time greats despite the World Cup and continental tournaments reliably taking place every few years.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I believe a part of the point was that the Olympics in soccer have been the primary international stage for some all-time greats despite the World Cup and continental tournaments reliably taking place every few years.

Only in the absence of performances in more important tournaments with greater prestige.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Only in the absence of performances in more important tournaments with greater prestige.
Well, Neymar for one has 8 goals in 13 World Cup games for perennial contenders, yet the Olympic gold is still his greatest achievement.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
In part, since 1938 until Di María and Messi last year no one has won both an Olympic gold medal and the FIFA World Cup. It's fair to say especially Messi's legacy would have been different had he only won at the Olympics, but there are nevertheless quite a few legendary players that did.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
The World Juniors are the only international tourney I even bother watching anymore, and I’ll watch every single game even if it’s a Latvia vs Switzerland game. Even in that political reasons aside isn’t as exciting anymore when you can’t see a Canada vs Russia matchup. Can’t be bothered with the watered down world championship rosters plus that’s right in the middle of the playoffs so I’m watching any NHL playoff game over a Canada World championship game

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
I’ll watch every single game even if it’s a Latvia vs Switzerland game.

Of course you do! This matchup was and is usually a much more interesting game than e g cze-swe

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Should we have a U23 WC? Two weeks before training camps start?

Team Sweden:

Jonatan Berggren - Leo Carlsson - Lucas Raymond
Emil Heineman - William Eklund - Alexander Holtz
Samuel Fagemo - Filip Bystedt - Otto Stenberg
Filip Hållander - David Gustafsson - Fabian Lysell
Isak Rosén - Oskar Bäck - Elmer Söderblom

Rasmus Dahlin - Adam Boqvist
Rasmus Sandin - Victor Söderström
Simon Edvinsson - Nils Lundkvist
Philip Broberg - Måns Forsfjäll
William Wallinder - Axel Sandin Pellikka

Jesper Wallstedt
Hugo Alnefelt
Dennis Hildeby
Olof Lindbom
Calle Clang

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Should we have a U23 WC? Two weeks before training camps start?

Team Sweden:

Jonatan Berggren - Leo Carlsson - Lucas Raymond
Emil Heineman - William Eklund - Alexander Holtz
Samuel Fagemo - Filip Bystedt - Otto Stenberg
Filip Hållander - David Gustafsson - Fabian Lysell
Isak Rosén - Oskar Bäck - Elmer Söderblom

Rasmus Dahlin - Adam Boqvist
Rasmus Sandin - Victor Söderström
Simon Edvinsson - Nils Lundkvist
Philip Broberg - Måns Forsfjäll
William Wallinder - Axel Sandin Pellikka

Jesper Wallstedt
Hugo Alnefelt
Dennis Hildeby
Olof Lindbom
Calle Clang
The d and g aren't that much worse than my oilers have.lol

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
2010 Olympics was the peak of international hockey. Incredible and competitive tournament, all around.
I kind of agree but I live in Vancouver and remember that I had to drive down and pick up someone from the suburbs to downtown Vancouver and the world literally looked like all the people had vanished as I drove down in the 3rd period and watched the game in it's entirety later.

From the 2000 superstars such as Ovechkin/Crosby to 2020 and beyond with McDavid/Matthews/Bedard.

The players seem to have less passion than previous generations and are simply satisfied to collect a cheque. I hoped they would push harder for 2026 Olympics since we're less than 3 years away from that.

With Hockey Canada fighting off scandals and Russian-born hockey players banned from international competition, this period of time is certainly a lowlight in international hockey. Canada as a whole has changed significantly in the last 10 years, so has the interest in hockey competition. The media is all politics and zero discussion of entertainment / leisure. The damn country is burning as I type this right now.

I still enjoy the U20, U18/17 competitions, and that's basically the only real competition occuring at an international level.
Man don't take this personally but that's a real Debbie downer look at things, it certainly can't be that bad can it?

Isn't it also about doping? I believe that's why they were made to be the "ROC" and play under the the Olympic Flag instead of the Russian one, so they were already on thin ice before the war.
Russia and sportsmanship don't always appear at the world stage in ice hockey.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
If I remember correctly one of their Hlinka or u18 teams around 2018/19 were all disqualified or banned due to something like this
U 18

U18 team 98 for WJC I think. Meldonium
It wasn't banned or disqualified, it was taken out as preemptive measures, as back then no one knew that just in some weeks WADA would finally come to senses and announce an amnesty for everyone except Sharapova therefore admitting they kind of screwed it and didn't properly investigate the process of that thing leaving sportsmen's bodies before the ban (which they kind of should have).

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
I for one am quite impressed by the number of ways the Russia stans can complain about the IIHF's decision to exclude them.

Hockey is better when all the top nations are there. Hockey doesn't stop being hockey because one nation has been put on a time-out.

Humiliating the Russians at hockey is good for world peace.

Reminds them they ain’t shit when they come up against people who aren’t afraid of them.

member 305909

There really isn't anything coming up in 2023. So the op is right.

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
Olympics used to be amateurs only. I think 2006 Torino was the last real Olympics. Sweden beat Finland w/ Forsberg, Sundin, Lidström etc. super stacked. Finland had Aki Berg :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad