As of 2023, International hockey is dead

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I have come to a conclusion that international hockey became such a niche sport that it is only truly cared about by the hardcore fans in a handful of countries. It’s probably on the same level as international handball nowadays as there’s ZERO exposure and any interest for the casual fans, especially in North America. And there are multiple reasons for it:

- First and foremost: NHL have not sent their players to the last 2 Olympics, making those tournaments absolutely boring and pointless.

- Gimmicky World Cup: a parody of a best on best tournament in 2016 was still interesting for fans, but clearly the made up teams and players out of shape and interest made it underwhelming, NHL cancelled it since then.

- Canada dominance: argue it or not, but Canada established itself as the main hockey power winning most of the tournaments making it less interesting to watch: last WHC is a big proof of that, Canada F rather easily coasted through the tourney and grabbed the gold

- Russia ban: hate it or not, but Russia is a top 3 hockey nation when it comes to number of fans, hockey players and money poured into the sport. Without Russia, any tournament is missing a number of rivalries, many fans, many sponsors

- WHC losing popularity among players: if you compare the rosters of 2019 and 2023 WHC, it’s entirely different tournament, very few NHLers agree to play for their country nowadays and with Russia and Belarus bans they’re replaced with lower level teams that make the tournament even less enticing for the players.

All of this can obviously change if the NHL starts participating in Olympics, Russia is back and WHC regains its popularity, but for now the international hockey is rather dead than alive

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
There's a discussion to be had here, but I feel like you're overreacting to one tournament, which still showed great hockey, great upsets and a story for the ages (Latvia bronze).

Historically, the relative success of this tourney always depends on the attendance of the traveling European fans and not mainstream appeal in NA. For Slovakia I can personally say that the traveling Slovak fan was back after Covid and will be back in full force next year.

Wait for next year in Prague and then draw your conclusions. I expect an arms race between the teams announcing NHL players for the tourney. This year it was really just Switzerland who participated in the arms race.

I agree about the NHL and the Olympics, it's a shame and a big loss for our game.

As for Russia being out, it's a fact, it was the correct decision and it's better to just accept it. There are more important things than entertainment.

Eric Cartman22

Apr 13, 2020
I wouldn’t say international hockey is dead. It’s just been on hiatus due to circumstance. The NHL skipping the 2018 Olympics was dumb. I still don’t understand it. But you really can’t blame the NHL for not going to China in 2022. They would have had to cancel lots of nhl games that season to make the schedule work. NHL players will be back at the next Winter Olympics in 2026 and Bettman said the other day that World Cups will resume soon. Ideally, in the future best on best international hockey will happen every two years. Do a World Cup of hockey every four years in between Olympics years.

Reactions: DaveG

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I for one am quite impressed by the number of ways the Russia stans can complain about the IIHF's decision to exclude them.

Hockey is better when all the top nations are there. Hockey doesn't stop being hockey because one nation has been put on a time-out.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Only a blind or ignorant person would reject those points, Russia is one of the most important countries in hockey world.
If there's no Russia in International hockey, then it is dead?

Russia coasted easily to gold in 2012, were they dominant back then?

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
People overrate the whole "best on best" concept. It is never possible, someone is not in shape, someone injured, someone has personal problems etc.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Ask the Latvians if international hockey is dead.

Of course "Best vs best" hockey is dead without Russia, yet this doesn't mean international hockey is.

Some great hockey, storylines and passion can still emerge without the world's best participating.
No question, all 2 million of Latvians were happy their team got bronze on their home ice, but if you take a look at the main picture, there’s nearly no interest in international hockey around the globe.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It was an underwhelming world's talent wise but I think the attendance and player quality is about to go up in Prague. I will be in shock if it doesn't.

The quarterfinals were excellent this year ftr. Some big upsets. Only disapointing game was the Czechs vs US which appeared to be a good game on paper but it wasn't.

Canada lost to Norway and Switzerland and finished 2nd in their group. I wouldn't say they easily cruised to Gold. They definitely deserved gold but a Finn quarter is brutal!

No best on bests really hurts interest in international hockey. It's awful. I hate it.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Latvia can be happy and all, but there is that realistic undercurrent to it that they got it by beating C/D national teams. WC used to at least get B teams but not even that anymore when countries like the USA sending an AHL/NCAA fusion team.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I think when mentioning the Russia ban it is a bit disrespectful to Belarus to not to mention them too, as well as not mentioning another category, that is unofficially banned - the KHL players (with the exception of Kazakhstan and Slovenia): it might seem not too important, but in previous years teams like Slovakia, Germany and France could've used some KHL players even for the best-on-best tournaments and also some stronger countries for the World Championships too.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Will certainly give it a boost
Remains to be seen. In 2006 with all the best NHL players in Italy we had even the top teams play games in front of less than 3000 spectators, including a quarterfinal. That's weak even by World Championship standards. Recently we already had the IIHF warn the organizers that their preparations are advancing well behind expectations.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It's seen better day, of course, but it is far from dead. And, it can easily be upgraded with a World Cup or an Olympic Best on Best.

Just enjoy the scraps until things get better.

Reactions: wetcoast

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Will certainly give it a boost
You are avoiding the question))

I am also for the NHL to release players for OG or World Cup
But what if they do? Will hockey be alive if all the best are playing but Russia is not allowed?

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
The one thing that could inject a little juice into international hockey would be a 8 game border clash between the #1 and #2 hockey powers Canada v USA.

A 20 year commitment to an NHL Olympics (should be long enough)

And a legit World Cup. legit = no gimmicks.

The countries that are banished to the wilderness can stay there for all I care. They are not missed and not needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad