Confirmed with Link: Artturi Lehkonen (1 Year @ $2.3M)

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
...I personally really like Lehky and would have had no issue offering him 4 years @ anywhere between $2.5 mill to $3 mill AAV...the guy is our best forechecker and never takes a shift off...great Bottom 6er...
OK, I agree with you, I would have done that, but what if Lehky wanted more for 2 UFA years? Then would it make sense for Bergy to say to the player "let's talk again after this coming year"?

Are you really worried he has a breakout year and his cost will go up a lot? I'm not. Bergy has shown he will pay fair money to that type of player.

Armia is not a fair comparable yet, because Armia was UFA and could get 31 other offers. Lehkonen is still RFA next summer.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
One year is surprising. Seems like they couldn't agree neither on a long-term contract, nor a 2-year contract that would have taken him to UFA. My guess is Lehkonen has bet on himself, as he's entering what should be his best years age-wise.

A $100k raise from the qualifying offer is likely to avoid arbitration. Could he have gotten more if he went that route?

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
1 year may mean that he's either gonna be included in a package for a C or a left PMD soon or that he is gonna be traded at the deadline for a pick and/or prospect depending on where the Habs stands by then

Then again i may be completely wrong on this

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Worth noting, the cap hit for this deal will actually be lower than the one he had last year which was $2.4 million. The fact they slightly front-loaded his contract allowed for a lower qualifying offer of $2.2 million so Montreal saves a bit of money on this deal relative to a year ago. However, the trade-off is that it allows Lehkonen to become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

not an ideal situation. why one year? would hate to lose this guy, especially for nothing. Hate when bergevin doesn't maximize assets.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He will get traded at the deadline for sure
Why would you trade a guy with another RFA year at the deadline? Chiarot maybe. Even Kulak, Paquette, Perreault and Wideman would be on my list ahead of Lehkonen or Evans who both have another year under team control.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archijerej

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Worth noting, the cap hit for this deal will actually be lower than the one he had last year which was $2.4 million. The fact they slightly front-loaded his contract allowed for a lower qualifying offer of $2.2 million so Montreal saves a bit of money on this deal relative to a year ago. However, the trade-off is that it allows Lehkonen to become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

not an ideal situation. why one year? would hate to lose this guy, especially for nothing. Hate when bergevin doesn't maximize assets.
Sounds smart, but actually...........

The lower QO came not from front-loading but from the signing bonus in the second year, which does not need to be replicated in a QO.

And Arturri is still RFA after this season. Getting less than last year does not accelerate his UFA date!

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland

This is incorrect. He's still a RFA after next season.

Reactions: BaseballCoach

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
...I personally really like Lehky and would have had no issue offering him 4 years @ anywhere between $2.5 mill to $3 mill AAV...the guy is our best forechecker and never takes a shift off...great Bottom 6er...
Well good news then, they can still offer him term at the end of this deal because the team regains control. 2.4 + team control for the guy you describe seems like a pretty awesome set up for the team.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
This is incorrect. He's still a RFA after next season.
This was a subtle spinoff from the fact that we brought Lehky over AFTER his 20 yo season in Sweden. Due to his August birthday, we still got 7 years out of him prior to UFA. I mentioned it at the time of his arrival.

Reactions: Archijerej

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

This is actually a great example of maximizing an asset.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Well good news then, they can still offer him term at the end of this deal because the team regains control. 2.4 + team control for the guy you describe seems like a pretty awesome set up for the team.

They can extend him in January I believe

Reactions: japhi

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Good bottom 6 player. Longer term would have been nice. Lehkonen never takes a night off...fierce competitor

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I know I saw somewhere perhaps twitter that they were saying the rumors were that MB has been getting calls on Leks. I recall in the past it was said by MB or rumors that Leks was getting the most interest or at least a lot of interest. So clearly teams value his play, i've always been a fan since he came over and still think he can be more if he ever finds a way to be more consistent and get his confidence going.

I remember back when Byron was picked off waivers and Flames fans said he couldn't score on a breakaway to save his life or something to that effect. He was 26 and had 17 goals in 138 NHL games (sabers/flames) since then he's got 77 goals in 356 games. So he went from a .12 goals per game to a .22 goals per game with us. Leks for his career has scored at a .18 goals per game, maybe he can find his way to get closer to a .25 or so

Reactions: Redux91

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Maybe Lehkonen is the one who agreed to 100K$ less than his QO, and only 1 year to see if he'll get benched as much by Ducharme yet again. He doesn't score a lot but he gives everything on the ice, nobody can argue that.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
As I've said countless times on this board Lehkonen is such an underappreciated player by far too many in the Habs fanbase because he doesn't put up enough points to please them while ignoring everything else he brings to the lineup.
He’s one of my favourite Habs.

Reactions: sheed36

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
...cuz I believe it's a mistake, whether it Lehky who wanted it or Bargain makes little difference...I would have tried hard to sign him for longer...pity not all of us are as Omnipotent & Above Reproach as you...:rolleyes:
Seems you used to one sided negotiations.
Let me guess union or construction ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad