Prospect Info: Arttu Ruotsalainen

Ygo

Oct 19, 2015
I just hope he doesn't get the pilut treatment. If they're going to give him a shot I hope they really give him a shot
Agree, although, I am not sure these players should be considered on the same level. Pilut, was the top D-Man in a more competitive league (SHL). At last years prospect challenge, RR did not stand out as a star... in fact, Olofsson was the most dangerous Sabre out there and Asplund had a better/more notable tournament.

Liiga is not as competitive as other elite leagues and shows a gap to the stronger KHL, SHL and AHL. Yes, he should be given a fair shot, but, I think it best to temper expectations on a guy who is lighting up Liiga (shooting 20% this year, last year 9.5%). Puljujärvi had a similar ppg as RR last year shooting 6.1% for context.

Maybe the Sabres have something here... they need it!

Reactions: jc17

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
That makes complete sense. I truly expect that the Sabres are going to buy out Okposo next offseason.
I think he'll be here as long as he can play at an NHL level even if it's as a 4th liner. Krueger loves what he brings to the room. Some days it's cinnamon rolls, other days it's cheesecake or brownies. If the team is feeling down his wife will bake German Black Forest Cake. Ralph is especially fond of that. Okposo plays a key roll in the culture Krueger is trying to develop here. He's the Sabres Trent Murphy.

Reactions: muhmuhMatt

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Liiga is not as competitive as other elite leagues and shows a gap to the stronger KHL, SHL and AHL. Yes, he should be given a fair shot, but, I think it best to temper expectations on a guy who is lighting up Liiga (shooting 20% this year, last year 9.5%). Puljujärvi had a similar ppg as RR last year shooting 6.1% for context.

Different leagues are really hard to compare. KHL has superior resources compared to other European leagues, so it is probably the second best league overall after NHL. SHL teams have bigger budgets and Swedish taxation is better for players compared to Finland, so it is probably the second best league in Europe. However, when playing against Finnish Elite League teams in CHL, the gap is not so big. The best players in both leagues would most likely be great in either side of Baltic Sea.

In the last season´s team ranking in Europe there were 7 teams from SHL and 6 teams from FEL. I don´t think this list is very reliable at least when it comes to KHL teams, but gives some indication about the situation between Sweden and Finland.

The level of play in AHL is a questionmark for me. At least it seems not to be so tactical compared to SHL or FEL, but more physical due to smaller rink.

Last edited:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Interesting discussion developed when Linus Ullmark was on The Instigators the other day about AHL vs NHL. They were talking about Ullmark's remark that the AHL is more chaotic. Andrew Peters says that the NHL is actually easier to play in, assuming you have the skill level, because it's more organized.
Starting around the 16 minute mark

Reactions: Club

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
That makes complete sense. I truly expect that the Sabres are going to buy out Okposo next offseason.

There really isnt any gain in buying him out next summer.

next year the buy out is $5M cap space vs his $5M in salary.
If you wait till 1 yr left it created more cap space.

they could instead trade him at 50%

I think he'll be here as long as he can play at an NHL level even if it's as a 4th liner. Krueger loves what he brings to the room. Some days it's cinnamon rolls, other days it's cheesecake or brownies. If the team is feeling down his wife will bake German Black Forest Cake. Ralph is especially fond of that. Okposo plays a key roll in the culture Krueger is trying to develop here. He's the Sabres Trent Murphy.

I thoiught Bils could trade Trent? the benched him last week

I dont know what he is in the locker room

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Different leagues are really hard to compare. KHL has superior resources compared to other European leagues, so it is probably the second best league overall after NHL. SHL teams have bigger budgets and Swedish taxation is better for players compared to Finland, so it is probably the second best league in Europe. However, when playing against Finnish Elite League teams in CHL, the gap is not so big. The best players in both leagues would most likely be great in either side of Baltic Sea.

In the last season´s team ranking in Europe there were 7 teams from SHL and 6 teams from FEL. I don´t think this list is very reliable at least when it comes to KHL teams, but gives some indication about the situation between Sweden and Finland.

The level of play in AHL is a questionmark for me. At least it seems not to be so tactical compared to SHL or FEL, but more physical due to smaller rink.

While not perfect, one way to compare leagues is using their NHLe translation factors.

hockeyman1

Aug 21, 2020
Who here would have thought that hm?
I guess one or two lost souls..
What a crap shoot drafting is, nobody knows shite.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ruotsalainen is just too good for Finnish level at the moment. Better than any NHL loan, and by far best forward in here.

I see no reason why he wouldn't be on Sabres NHL roster when the season will start. Great NHL level speed and pretty strong on his feet also on board battles for a small guy. Should give some depth scoring outside the Top6.

Who really knows if he is the next Kubalik. Has scored a goal per game rate.

Is he a center or a winger ??

Center.

1st line Center
- Most faceoffs from Defensive end
- Most faceoffs from Offensive end
- Most PP ice-time from Centers
- Most PK time from Centers.

He plays kind a "Patrice Bergeron" -role for Ilves.

Last edited:

hockeyman1

Aug 21, 2020
Appears to blocked for non-Finland ISP's. I tried a vpn with Helsinki server and it blocked that too as "known proxy".
youtube has all the highlights from today and yesterday, but be careful they repeat each goal fifty times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad