Prospect Info: Arttu Ruotsalainen

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I just hope he doesn't get the pilut treatment. If they're going to give him a shot I hope they really give him a shot

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Still think he starts in Rochester, don't wanna get anyone's hopes up too much. Olofsson was allowed the same reprieve to get used to North American ice.
Probably a smart idea. He will certainly have an advantage heading into camp with game action he has already seen. We will have some players going on 7/8 months without a competitive games.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Still think he starts in Rochester, don't wanna get anyone's hopes up too much. Olofsson was allowed the same reprieve to get used to North American ice.

Olofsson was a lot more one-dimensional when he made the jump over the pond. It wasn't just smaller ice, it was also that there were deficiencies in a lot of the parts of his game that weren't his shot. Ruotsolainen is already playing all situations, PKing, etc., so he may not need time in Rochester to polish the corners of his game. We'll see.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Olofsson was a lot more one-dimensional when he made the jump over the pond. It wasn't just smaller ice, it was also that there were deficiencies in a lot of the parts of his game that weren't his shot. Ruotsolainen is already playing all situations, PKing, etc., so he may not need time in Rochester to polish the corners of his game. We'll see.

Is he a center or a winger ??

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
This reminds me of the last NHL lockout, when prospects were playing in the AHL. I wondered if that would give a leg up for some of them to make the team out of training camp. I remember thinking that if TJ Brennan couldn't establish himself in the NHL after warming up in the AHL, then he would never make the jump.

(I don't feel the same way about Routsolainen, btw, seeing that was Brennan's 4th season in the AHL)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If I'm not mistaken, the Liiga is played on both large and small ice. And besides, a bunch of Swedes step right in to the NHL from the larger Swedish rinks. Yes, it could be a problem for some, but I don't think it has to be.

I don’t think it has to be a problem either. I’m more wondering about how long it will take him, not if he can.

He is a smaller guy (5’8” 180lbs) adjusting to a much more physical NHL thats faster and played on a smaller ice surface (consistently). Even small NA based players have to adjust to the size and speed of the NHL. Some do it quicker than others.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
What does “really giving him a shot” look like to you?
Like if they're going to play him in buffalo, a stretch of 10-15 continuous games where hes getting minutes in a role he's suited to play, not taking an occasional shift on the rw of girgs and eakin. Now if he's an absolute liability in those games I'm ok with the experiment being cut short.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Like if they're going to play him in buffalo, a stretch of 10-15 continuous games where hes getting minutes in a role he's suited to play, not taking an occasional shift on the rw of girgs and eakin. Now if he's an absolute liability in those games I'm ok with the experiment being cut short.

Thats pretty vague. He’s not going to play in the top 6 or on the top PP unit. So I’m not sure what “a role he’s suited to play’ looks like to you.

Lets be realistic. If he makes the team he’s going to be a depth forward. He’ll be playing wing or center in the bottom 6, probably on PP2 and possibly the PK. No idea how that shakes out 5v5 in terms of linemates. There are so many variables.

Reactions: Club

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

If he's going to be an NHLer, I don't think he's going to need as much time in Rochester as Olofsson.....as in, I don't think he'll need a full AHL season.................buuuuuut who knows what will happen. It wouldn't shock me at all if we just leave him at Ilves all year.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Thats pretty vague. He’s not going to play in the top 6 or on the top PP unit. So I’m not sure what “a role he’s suited to play’ looks like to you.

Lets be realistic. If he makes the team he’s going to be a depth forward. He’ll be playing wing or center in the bottom 6, probably on PP2 and possibly the PK. No idea how that shakes out 5v5 in terms of linemates. There are so many variables.
It seems like he's strong both ways in special teams, so getting any bit of time on either would be nice.

5v5 is hard to project not knowing what our lineup will really look like. If we go with a pure top/ bottom 6 I guess he'll have no choice but to play in a role that requires more defensive starts than he's used to and with mediocre teammates

Id rather see the talent spread out to something like

Skinner eichel Tage
Hall Staal R2
Olofsson eakin reinhart
Girgs Lazar okposo

Doesn't have to be exact but you have 2 offensive lines that give young RWs a chance to succeed, and a 3rd line that can score but has 2 defensively responsible (fingers crossed) players.

Reactions: joshjull

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I don’t think it has to be a problem either. I’m more wondering about how long it will take him, not if he can.

He is a smaller guy (5’8” 180lbs) adjusting to a much more physical NHL thats faster and played on a smaller ice surface (consistently). Even small NA based players have to adjust to the size and speed of the NHL. Some do it quicker than others.
Agreed. Some of that adjustment will have to do with strength and being able to hold your own in tight areas, but I believe it has even more to do with smartness and ability to learn, adjust and figure out how to make use of the tools you have. And that is something that is really hard for us as bystanders to predict. I look at a guy like Olofsson and his development. From game 1 in the NHL I think it's been visible to the eye how he adapts and learns. Compared with, for example, Grigorenko who just never seemed to be able to put things together. (Granted, Grigs was put in a pretty bad position so it may not be the best comparison, but I hope my point comes through.) I can only hope R2 is another Olofsson in that regard. :)

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Now with what is left Adams go to work. Figure out how to upgrade goal tending. Also, if Athanasiou is available at a realistic cap hit, get that!

With potential bonuses to Dahlin, Jokiharju, and Cozens (if he's on the team), they are basically capped out at this point.

It will be interesting to see if Adams can pull anything else off or if this is the roster they take to camp.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
With potential bonuses to Dahlin, Jokiharju, and Cozens (if he's on the team), they are basically capped out at this point.

It will be interesting to see if Adams can pull anything else off or if this is the roster they take to camp.

That makes complete sense. I truly expect that the Sabres are going to buy out Okposo next offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad