Article about WC vs. Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
OK, here is something that really pissed me off! It is Kara Yorio's article from the yahoo sports:

The Olympics are ending and the World Cup is just beginning, and that makes this the perfect time to say this: End NHL participation in the Olympics. The World Cup should be this league's Olympics, the international tournament played every four years. Yes, the hockey in the 2002 Olympics was great (and a trip to Turin, Italy, in 2006 wouldn't be bad) but it's time to keep NHL players at home during the season.

Participation in the Olympics by the league is done not for the competition or Olympic ideal, but for the cash and Olympic-sized exposure. The World Cup, a joint venture between the NHL and the NHL Players' Association, can be for the cash and exposure and hockey. It can be a showcase event. It can help bring the NHL the international presence it wants by alternating having the semifinals and final in North America and Europe every four years. That would give fans that great, open championship game on international ice every eight years and the North American title game every eight years. The World Cup can be the better tournament.

I am not trying to provoke but that is a typical north american way of thinking when it comes to sport. They are trying to rule the world of sport and set their own rules by inventing and praising their own tournaments that are suddenly much more important and valuable then ''some'' Olympic tournament (which is in Kara Yorio's opinion turning to be a cinderella tournament). Their opinion allways has to be the last one and the saddest thing is that it is the last one since they have enough money. Even enough money to put the biggest and the most important tournament in the shadow of a product of the north american arrogance called ''the world cup of hockey''. World cup was a great opportunity to confront Canada and USSR, but since USSR is gone the WC lost it's true meaning. Actually, in the last decade, it turned to be a tournament made for NA teams (and we all know it's true). And that's why Europeans do not CARE about it! At least not as close as they care about the Olympics! I don't have anything against the WC as long as, in the hierarchy of hockey, it stays beneath Olympic games which are the BIGGEST event in ice hockey!!! My favorite part is: ''Send the best of the AHL, American colleges, Canadian juniors and European leagues to the Olympics.'' I still can't belive such a stupid idea! It is underrating and even insulting of hockey in Europe!
What did she mean by that? Crosby and his team of kids against players like Tverdovsy, Dopita, Yushkevich, Peltonen???
... and the next two weeks are not going to prove that (as Kara thinks). The next two weeks are just going to prove my point!

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
North American players dream of the Stanley Cup first.
Europeans dream of an Olympic Gold first.

The World Cup, is at best a 2nd to one of, or both. Kara Yorio's idea, is ridiculous.
I can imagine european players demanding a contract stipulation that they are relieved of their NHL duties in the time of an olympic games.
I certainly would.

In the club team vs country arguement, only in North American sports does club team come first, it does not exist anywhere else. Soccer plays, european hockey players, etc put country first. And that's whats demanded of them, because their country had a huge impact on them being in the NHL in the first place.

Jovo Cop

I would rather just see it in the Olympics ..as a canadian this World Cup seems well below the Olympics in my eye .As if the players and the NHL cant sacrifice a little time every 4 years to participate .I have even heard talk in our canadian newspaper about the NHL not going to Italy but playing in Vancouver ..hows that for a slap in Europes face ???
The World cup is just a $$ grab ..with too many players not even bothering to show from all countries ..scrap the World Cup and just stick to the Olympics .4 years is just right ..every 2 years is not IMHO. :)

Feb 24, 2004
TORRUS said:
I am not trying to provoke but that is a typical north american way of thinking when it comes to sport. They are trying to rule the world of sport and set their own rules by inventing and praising their own tournaments that are suddenly much more important and valuable then ''some'' Olympic tournament (which is in Kara Yorio's opinion turning to be a cinderella tournament). Their opinion allways has to be the last one and the saddest thing is that it is the last one since they have enough money.

Unfortunately, this is a typical EUROPEAN way of thinking. In fact, most North Americans care MORE about the olympics than the World Cup, only if pros are involved. We all know that only if EVERYONE is allowed to play than we can determine who truly is the best.

And say what you want about these players in the European leagues, some of the Canadian Juniors and definately some of the guys in the minors could beat them.

How do I know? The Spengler Cup. Club teams from Europe lose to a team from Canada that has only minor league guys.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
leafs4thecup said:
And say what you want about these players in the European leagues, some of the Canadian Juniors and definately some of the guys in the minors could beat them.

How do I know? The Spengler Cup. Club teams from Europe lose to a team from Canada that has only minor league guys.

Spengler cup is nothing. You should know that! I allready said that before, but the strongest teams in Europe can destroy those minor league guys and can even cope with lower ranked teams in NHL.

Macman

May 15, 2004
How is the World Cup a notch below the Olympics? Both tournaments are open to the world's best players. They're on a par as far as I'm concerned and let's keep 'em both the way they are.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Macman said:
How is the World Cup a notch below the Olympics?

At least for the fact that Canada always plays at home. And don't tell me it's not an advantage. Just check out the home/road stats for any hockey league in the World.

Vic Rattlehead*

I Prefer the Olympics to the World Cup. I'm just more of a fan of the Olympics.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Torrus obviously has some kind of a hate on for N.A. - because this person idea isn't at all what all what North Americans want. Everybody I know cares more about the Olympics. Anyways it evens out advantage wise - Europeans have the advantage in all the major international competitions except the World cup because of the big ice and international rules and (mostly) reffing. Enough of this cry baby crap.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
19bruins19 said:
I Prefer the Olympics to the World Cup. I'm just more of a fan of the Olympics.

And I prefer a larger ice surface. I wish the IIHF and the NHL could get together and create a standard ice size so that ll new arenas could be built to that spcification or have the ablity to change to it during international play. The WC in my mind IS a second rate international tourney because it is not played on international sized ice sheets.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
those two bodies agreeing on changing each others ice surface is a pipe dream. NHL won't enlarge because it would take away alot of revenue from seating. IIHF will never change because, well, they don't want to I guess - they like their ice the way it is I suppose.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
thome_26 said:
those two bodies agreeing on changing each others ice surface is a pipe dream. NHL won't enlarge because it would take away alot of revenue from seating. IIHF will never change because, well, they don't want to I guess - they like their ice the way it is I suppose.

While I would like a larger ice surface for NHL games I can see that it is not likely going to change anytime soon. It is a minimalist argument to look at only the lost seating and not consider the quality of play imptovements that could be had with larger NHL ice. Three feet wider and five feet longer would suffice IMO. That is essentially one row of seats on the sides and two rows at either end. The players have just gotten too big.

Assuming that can't happen, I would refit newer NHL rinks to allow for international ice for World Cup tourneys. I hate the fact the World Cup gives an advantage to North Americans. It should be a WORLD cup. Not another Canada Cup.

Feb 24, 2004
TORRUS said:
Spengler cup is nothing. You should know that! I allready said that before, but the strongest teams in Europe can destroy those minor league guys and can even cope with lower ranked teams in NHL.

I laugh at this. You say Spengler Cup means nothing? Why? The best clubs in Europe losing to minor league Canadians. If these players are so good, they would be in the NHL. This isn't like the seventies or eighties. The truly good players are now over in America. Where is your proof to back this stuff up?

TML_FAN

Mar 1, 2004
Toronto
www.liberal.ca
Ginner's in T.O. said:
While I would like a larger ice surface for NHL games I can see that it is not likely going to change anytime soon. It is a minimalist argument to look at only the lost seating and not consider the quality of play imptovements that could be had with larger NHL ice. Three feet wider and five feet longer would suffice IMO. That is essentially one row of seats on the sides and two rows at either end. The players have just gotten too big.

Assuming that can't happen, I would refit newer NHL rinks to allow for international ice for World Cup tourneys. I hate the fact the World Cup gives an advantage to North Americans. It should be a WORLD cup. Not another Canada Cup.

As apposed to the Olympics that gives the advantage to European teams. Canada dealt with the different rules in the Olympics and won, now the European clubs should buck up and play without any excuses. To be the best you got to beat the best, as someone once said. It evens out, European rules for the Olympics, and North American rules for the world cup, sounds far to me. Guess people will always find something to complain about. :shakehead :banghead:

Jazz

The Olympics are a bigger world Stage, so for the time being, the NHL needs to take part...simple as that.

I know so many people in countries that they are not even showing the World Cup, whereas the Olympics shown by everybody, especially the SFs and Gold medal games.....

The World Cup organizers dropped the ball on this one...in every other country (except the 8 countries participating), they should have simply given the TV rights away - this game needs exposure and especially at this level... :banghead:

Also, here is a bigger reason to go to Italy in 2006: The fact that NBC now has both the NHL rights and the Olympic TV rights. This factor has been underplayed, and here is why:

The fact that the NHL right's holders and the Olympics right's holder have not coincided during the '98 and '02 game is a major reason why the exposure in the US has been less than expected...

* In 1998 in Nagano, the Olympics were on CBS, whereas FOX then had the NHL's rights.
* In 2002 in Salt-Lake, the Olympics were on NBC whereas ABC owned the NHL's rights at the time.

The reason this mis-match is a problem is in terms of cross-promotion. With NBC now owning both the 2006 Olympic and now the NHL rights, there is vast potential for NBC to use TV spots to promote both properties (the Winter Games and the NHL). During '98 one CBS official stated point blank: "Why should we promote FOX's property??" I'm sure NBC had the same thinking 2 years ago in SLC when the NHL was on ABC. The NHL needs as many opportunities to get into the American public eye and the potential for this to happen with the NHL going to Turino should not be missed.

This could be just another casualty if the CBA is not signed in time (i.e. them not going to the 2006 Olympics).....

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Raimo Sillanpää said:
North American players dream of the Stanley Cup first.
Europeans dream of an Olympic Gold first.

That used to be the case, but I believe that if you asked Mats Sundin, Zdeno Chara and Sergei Gonchar they'd all rather win the Stanley Cup than the 2006 Olympics.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
leafs4thecup said:
I laugh at this. You say Spengler Cup means nothing? Why? The best clubs in Europe losing to minor league Canadians.

The Spengler cup is an exhibition tournament, the players are there to have fun. Don't draw any conclusion from its outcome.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
That used to be the case, but I believe that if you asked Mats Sundin, Zdeno Chara and Sergei Gonchar they'd all rather win the Stanley Cup than the 2006 Olympics.
Chara IMO would want more the Olympics than the Stanley Cup. But I think he would want both :) .

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
thome_26 said:
Torrus obviously has some kind of a hate on for N.A. - because this person idea isn't at all what all what North Americans want. Everybody I know cares more about the Olympics. Anyways it evens out advantage wise - Europeans have the advantage in all the major international competitions except the World cup because of the big ice and international rules and (mostly) reffing. Enough of this cry baby crap.

You are making it sound like when the competition takes place outside of NA then every european team feels as the host, as it playing at home and ostensibly has some huuuge advantage over north americans.
At every world championship NA countries and european countries have plenty players from NHL or AHL so europeans face the same adaptation problems as north americans, i.e. bigger ice, different judging. The difference between the WC and World Champs that at the World Champs nobody is trying to make it all european final and Czech doesn't referee the game Chech - Canada.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Ginner's in T.O. said:
World seniors would be a bigger deal if played after the NHL season was over. Not that I expect the IIHF to do the NHL any favours.

I'd rather they keep it the way it is. I always enjoy watching the players Canada sends, guys you like but wouldn't otherwise get to play for their country. And it would cheapen the lustre of the Olympics.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Gurj said:
The Olympics are a bigger world Stage, so for the time being, the NHL needs to take part...simple as that.

I know so many people in countries that they are not even showing the World Cup, whereas the Olympics shown by everybody, especially the SFs and Gold medal games.....

The World Cup organizers dropped the ball on this one...in every other country (except the 8 countries participating), they should have simply given the TV rights away - this game needs exposure and especially at this level... :banghead:

Also, here is a bigger reason to go to Italy in 2006: The fact that NBC now has both the NHL rights and the Olympic TV rights. This factor has been underplayed, and here is why:

The fact that the NHL right's holders and the Olympics right's holder have not coincided during the '98 and '02 game is a major reason why the exposure in the US has been less than expected...

* In 1998 in Nagano, the Olympics were on CBS, whereas FOX then had the NHL's rights.
* In 2002 in Salt-Lake, the Olympics were on NBC whereas ABC owned the NHL's rights at the time.

The reason this mis-match is a problem is in terms of cross-promotion. With NBC now owning both the 2006 Olympic and now the NHL rights, there is vast potential for NBC to use TV spots to promote both properties (the Winter Games and the NHL). During '98 one CBS official stated point blank: "Why should we promote FOX's property??" I'm sure NBC had the same thinking 2 years ago in SLC when the NHL was on ABC. The NHL needs as many opportunities to get into the American public eye and the potential for this to happen with the NHL going to Turino should not be missed.

This could be just another casualty if the CBA is not signed in time (i.e. them not going to the 2006 Olympics).....

Good post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad