Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

Factotum

Apr 13, 2024
Nah, my ire still falls more to the 18000 or so Tempe NO voters that either were stupid from the start or allowed themselves to be easily led astray. And I'll never set foot in a Changing Hands Bookstore again. Except if i need to use their bathroom, maybe.

Unless someday I find out it turns out they could have gotten it done at TED without a vote, like probably every other damn building next to Tempe Town Lake....*then* I'd wanna b-slap AM around.

This was my gut, initial reaction as to where to place blame as soon as the reality of relocation was confirmed

Now, after the dust has settled a bit so to speak, it is still my opinion and I still aim my blame to the voters

Any resident that was fence-sitting or neutral, that was later influenced by that grassroots sham, should be ashamed

They won’t, the shamelessness is what keeps them going

But even the most basic, minimal amount of inquiry and research would confirm that any other commercial business in the area is operating with a gplet/excise tax

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not at all surprised to learn Rich Nairn’s leaving was because of ownership squabbles.

First thing AM needs to do is get rid of Junior. Also his daughter (or maybe daughter in law?) runs the foundation. Never hire family or friends. I’d think a guy who “has been in business 40 years” would know this generally comes with more issues than benefits.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not at all surprised to learn Rich Nairn’s leaving was because of ownership squabbles.

First thing AM needs to do is get rid of Junior. Also his daughter (or maybe daughter in law?) runs the foundation. Never hire family or friends. I’d think a guy who “has been in business 40 years” would know this generally comes with more issues than benefits.
That is Peetey spouting off. Don't know what is true and what isn't. He is also a ex employee who was fired. Take his rant with a grain of salt.

Reactions: MisterPurple

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
He told Shane Doan there was no job for him there, just like Chayka and Barroway told him he won't be a player here.

And now, Shane Doan is no longer here.
Would love seeing a link to that. Not that it’s not true, but I recall Shane leaving of his own accord and figured it was due to asshatery.

That is Peetey spouting off. Don't know what is true and what isn't. He is also a ex employee who was fired. Take his rant with a grain of salt.
I’m thinking Petey’s exit was prior to the asshats coming to town.
Hey by the way Jakey, did you ever go to a Coyote game?

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

HowlofRevel

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Blaming the Tempe voters more than Meruelo is asinine. You don't lose a campaign by the margin TED lost unless either your proposal sucked or your campaign sucked.

Lets start from before TED was approved by the Tempe Council. While knowing that they were going to need help from local political officials and potentially could go to a vote, the Meruelo group:
1. Failed to pay state and local taxes, resulting in the state filing a lien in court. (Keep in mind that local governments make multiple contacts to try and get delinquent taxpayers to pay taxes before filing a lien in court. Lien is not the first thing they do)
2. Was continually late on rent payments to City of Glendale, and that info became public.

So now, instead of voters being just generally suspicious of a new arena deal, Meruelo gave voters specific reason to be suspicious of him, since he has proven to not be on the up-and-up with his business with local governments. That is him stepping on his own dick, making TED more likely to fail.

Now lets get to the campaign.

The TED campaign got started late, allowing the opposition to start controlling the narrative. The opposition used professional political outreach and campaign organizations. The TED campaign had volunteers and Meruelo employees do most of the voter outreach. The TED campaign had overly simple messaging like "Landfill to Landmark" instead of explaining why it is a good deal, and specifically, why there was not a catch that Tempe would on the hook for.

The campaign needed to sell TED but they thought TED would sell itself.

The Meruelo group are incompetents who half-assed the campaign and did absolutely nothing to engender public trust. That's why TED failed.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I could have done without watching that Utah story. That was salt in the wound. f*** Meruelo and his son. Typical rich people. They don't give a damn about anyone but themselves and their only passion is increasing their wealth. If they have to step on everyone they come in contact with to do that, they're perfectly willing to. It's just amazing they couldn't find anyone better than that pos to buy this team.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Blaming the Tempe voters more than Meruelo is asinine. You don't lose a campaign by the margin TED lost unless either your proposal sucked or your campaign sucked.

Lets start from before TED was approved by the Tempe Council. While knowing that they were going to need help from local political officials and potentially could go to a vote, the Meruelo group:
1. Failed to pay state and local taxes, resulting in the state filing a lien in court. (Keep in mind that local governments make multiple contacts to try and get delinquent taxpayers to pay taxes before filing a lien in court. Lien is not the first thing they do)
2. Was continually late on rent payments to City of Glendale, and that info became public.

So now, instead of voters being just generally suspicious of a new arena deal, Meruelo gave voters specific reason to be suspicious of him, since he has proven to not be on the up-and-up with his business with local governments. That is him stepping on his own dick, making TED more likely to fail.

The TED campaign got started late, allowing the opposition to start controlling the narrative. The opposition used professional political outreach and campaign organizations. The TED campaign had volunteers and Meruelo employees do most of the voter outreach. The TED campaign had overly simple messaging like "Landfill to Landmark" instead of explaining why it is a good deal, and specifically, why there was not a catch that Tempe would on the hook for.

The Meruelo group are incompetents who half-assed the campaign and did absolutely nothing to engender public trust. That's why TED failed.

- The state never filed a lien. They went to Glendale and asked them to collect it. Because the state was listing an old business address in downtown Phoenix from when IceArizona had the team for which the Meruelo Group apparently didn’t know about. Either way someone in accounting should have wondered and looked into it.

- It was the Coyotes who got the signatures in first to get the referendum. They were out the day after Tempe approved the proposal and did in 9 days.

- The opposition started well after and got theirs in almost two months later, and it would have delayed the vote another six months.

- TempeWins site was up immediately. Public meetings around Tempe were scheduled.

- Where they were lacking is in the ground game. Grass roots campaigning historically gets off the ground and rolling much quicker. Then accelerated when Worker Power kicked in the funding on social media, commercials, etc.

- Meruelo’s public reaction to being called a “crooked billionaire” did more damage to him than the accusation itself.

- Selling TED as a “Rodeo Drive” did the most damage. The political advisor to Tempe1st said as much after the vote.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I could have done without watching that Utah story. That was salt in the wound. f*** Meruelo and his son. Typical rich people. They don't give a damn about anyone but themselves and their only passion is increasing their wealth. If they have to step on everyone they come in contact with to do that, they're perfectly willing to. It's just amazing they couldn't find anyone better than that pos to buy this team.
Well, it would have to have been another rich person aaaand your general characterization of them, would basically have us here anyway.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Exactly. While we love Bettman for keeping the Yote's alive for so long, what the NHL actually did was put a knife in our back and turned it slowly. The NHL made us operate like a high school team with bare bones everything. IF the NHL supported the team as they should have, they would have attracted the right buyer years ago by showing that a NHL team can be very successful in this market.
I can't believe I'm agreeing with you twice in a week. the world really must be ending.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Who told Doan what?

Doaner said he wanted to do more in hockey-ops and BA already had the people he could afford in place.
Would love seeing a link to that. Not that it’s not true, but I recall Shane leaving of his own accord and figured it was due to asshatery.
1714184867777.png

It's what Craig says in his most recent article about Doan.

The stuff with Chayka and Barroway was reported by him in 2017

Example

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018

There are few rules in life:
-Don't work with family and/or friends
- Don't put your pen in company ink
- Don't have "relations" with your best friends
- Don't shit where you sleep
- Don't be a cnt

And AM broke rules 1 and 5.
You can only Break rule 1 If you prepare the people Well enough. But He didn't

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
View attachment 860238

It's what Craig says in his most recent article about Doan.

The stuff with Chayka and Barroway was reported by him in 2017

Example
We knew that. Doaner was done for the last two years, playing like a shadow of himself after contracting Rocky Mountain spotted fever.

How they told him he wasn’t being re-signed was wrong. Barroway took full responsibility for that mistake.

But you were implying his recent departure was the same circumstances and it wasn’t.

Meruelo actually brought Doan back in when he didn’t have to.

Last edited:

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
We knew that. Doaner was done for the last two years, playing like a shadow of himself after contracting Rocky Mountain spotted fever.

How they told him he wasn’t being re-signed was wrong. But you were implying his recent departure was the same.
Craig is talking about both his player and non player time. The image I sent clearly says he only moved on to his role with Treliving after the Meruelo group told him he wouldn't have a place in hockey operations.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Craig is talking about both his player and non player time. The image I sent clearly says he only moved on to his role with Treliving after the Meruelo group told him he wouldn't have a place in hockey operations.
You assumed Meruelo told him.

Bill Armstrong had no place for him and didn’t have the budget to add another position.

What was he supposed to do? Fire someone who had more experience so Shane could play student?

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ

Realistically, I would say Petey's words will fall on deaf ears here.

But given that he is really well plugged in to the hockey community and tenor of it here... and given the context... and with the task ahead, something tells me Meruelo is going to hear this. Whether he listens, adheres and takes it to heart is another story.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Tell that to the Kansas City Chiefs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad