Player Discussion Artemi Panarin

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I agree he does try too hard at times but what is he to do? His linemates aren't great stick handlers and they have a tough time doing anything when he's not driving the offense. Panarin needs one nice winger on the other side. Who do the Rangers have in the pipeline to replace Fast? Panarin really needs some help at times as he's always pressed and doubled up..

Panarin hit a career high in basically everything, in a shortened season, playing with Fast and Strome. Pairing someone with better linemates doesn't always result in better performance.

Remember the Nash-Richards-Gaborik line?

excaliber

Mar 30, 2018
No I don't remember that line. So you are OK with Fast as a permanent linemate for Panarin? I'm not.
To each his own I guess. Hopefully there is a better option ready to come up in the next year or so.

Reactions: Bread4Life

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
No I don't remember that line. So you are OK with Fast as a permanent linemate for Panarin? I'm not.
To each his own I guess. Hopefully there is a better option ready to come up in the next year or so.

If it works ‍♂️

Panarin isn't going to perform better with someone else on his line. He's already producing better than ever before. Chemistry is a thing. It matters.

Bread4Life

Dec 13, 2019
Russia, Yekaterinburg
at least he have fun (like always)
0E5F81A8-18D4-4489-9092-549B80C12FFE.jpeg

Reactions: CasusBelli

excaliber

Mar 30, 2018
Panarin would produce allot better with someone who can finish on the other side. Panarin is a one man wrecking crew who will produce with anyone. He'd do better with more talent. I'd rather see chemistry with a much better player myself but as long as mediocracy is your thing go ahead and run with it.

If it works ‍♂️

Panarin isn't going to perform better with someone else on his line. He's already producing better than ever before. Chemistry is a thing. It matters.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Panarin would produce allot better with someone who can finish on the other side. Panarin is a one man wrecking crew who will produce with anyone. He'd do better with more talent. I'd rather see chemistry with a much better player myself but as long as mediocracy is your thing go ahead and run with it.

It's hard to argue that a player who hit career highs in literally everything is somehow held back by his linemates

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Linemate not linemates.

Okay. For the sake of argument, let's assume Panarin plays with the best teammates. He's centered by Zibanejad (Everyone hates Strome anyway because he sucks and only leeches off Panarin) and Buchnevich on the right (our best right winger). All of a sudden, that is the only line we have. And I highly doubt that improves Panarin's chances at adding points.

Panarin with Strome and Fast (mostly) is on pace for 115 points. Are we really assuming he could have hit 120 or even 130 if he played with the best teammates? I doubt that would be the case

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Okay. For the sake of argument, let's assume Panarin plays with the best teammates. He's centered by Zibanejad (Everyone hates Strome anyway because he sucks and only leeches off Panarin) and Buchnevich on the right (our best right winger). All of a sudden, that is the only line we have. And I highly doubt that improves Panarin's chances at adding points.

Panarin with Strome and Fast (mostly) is on pace for 115 points. Are we really assuming he could have hit 120 or even 130 if he played with the best teammates? I doubt that would be the case
It's not far fetched to suggest Panarin would score more with better linemates, but the difference might not be as big as people think. However the main value of a truly elite player is the ability to elevate tweeners like Strome or complementary players like Fast to 1st line scoring levels so you can put the real talent on other lines.
upload_2020-3-24_16-40-23.png

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's not far fetched to suggest Panarin would score more with better linemates, but the difference might not be as big as people think. However the main value of a truly elite player is the ability to elevate tweeners like Strome or complementary players like Fast to 1st line scoring levels so you can put the real talent on other lines.
View attachment 338877

Look at Pittsburgh. They have Malkin and Crosby on separate lines. Crosby played with Rust, Guentzel, Dupuis, Kunitz etc over the years. Stacking your best players on your top line doesn't work.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Look at Pittsburgh. They have Malkin and Crosby on separate lines. Crosby played with Rust, Guentzel, Dupuis, Kunitz etc over the years. Stacking your best players on your top line doesn't work.
Exactly, that's how you get the most out of them if they have that capability (which Panarin obviously has).

Mika Zibanejad scored 2.79 5v5 P/60 this season, by far the best rate of his career as he's never been above 2.00 before.

In comparison, Strome scored 2.23 with Panarin and Fast scored 2.03 - i.e. rates Zibanejad had never exceeded until this season. Even with the new level of scoring we've reached in the past three seasons, 2.00 P/60 is still a lower-end 1st line level of scoring (Eric Staal was 76th in 5v5 P/60 among forwards with 700+ 5v5 minutes this season at exactly 2.00 P/60 this season).

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Man I hope this wasn’t just a one off career year. Even if he doesn’t hit this year’s marks in the coming seasons, I hope he consistently comes close.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Man I hope this wasn’t just a one off career year. Even if he doesn’t hit this year’s marks in the coming seasons, I hope he consistently comes close.

He hit career highs in goals and assists, in only 69 games. As much as I want him to do the same next season, it's safe to assume he won't be able to. I expect him to still hit 80-90 points, but will he hit triple digits? Who knows. I really hope he does.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I can see him being consistent like on this level for years. His stuff is of his imagination. The way he piles on a good portion of his points is thru unconventional plays.

Reactions: BreadKick

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
As crazy as it is if he can replicate this type of season he's not just an elite player he's a franchise winger... Zibanejad is in the same boat, if he can produce like this season he's a top 10 center. Correct me if I'm wrong but Panarin had the highest PPG rate for a winger and Zib had the 5th highest for a center and both these guys are Rangers, that doesn't even sound real :laugh:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm still okay committing to Strome, say for 3 years. IF his ask is reasonable.

Yeah, I have no problem with Strome being on this team, as he works well with Panarin who has 6 years left on his deal. If we can fit it under the cap without having to get rid of DeAngelo, we should do what we can to keep him.

I rather go with the chemistry I know, than to roll the dice on someone who may not have that same spark with Panarin. Strome playing with Panarin allows us to have an actual top-6 instead of just a top line

Reactions: LokiDog

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If want to play Strome with Panarin why don't we exchange the bad Strome (Ryan) for the good one (Dylan)?

He might actually be more viable to keep now though since it's less likely a big long term deal is out there from any one with the cap situation. There is still zero situation where I would give him more than 2 years for any realistic AAV.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Ted Lindsey Finalist. That's awesome. Try to remember these performances, because they're rare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad