Player Discussion Artemi Panarin

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He should win the hart but Point totalzzzz will direct the trophy somewhere else.

That and Zibanejad going God Tier.

I would still give it to MacKinnon over Panarin due to the situation he was in. The number of games his best teammates missed due to injury, leading everyone else on his team by 43+ points. He really carried his team to the play offs.

Panarin has been great, but the dual-threat the Rangers have with him and Zibanejad does affect the MVP-considerion for me. The 2nd and 3rd highest in points were rookie D-man Cale Makar and bottom 6 forward Andre Burakovsky, on MacKinnon's team. That's crazy

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He certainly has not done that so far.

Still, to presume that Strome has had absolutely zero impact on Panarin's game is pretty silly. If that is the case, why not simply save a ton of money and run out and sign some random rookie to an ECL and call it a day?

The biggest compliment I can pay Strome is that he doesn't drag Panarin down.

If you look deeper into the numbers, Panarin's shot% jumped as did his secondary assist count. Neither of those things are really things we can rely on to carry over into next season.

OTOH, he almost had a full point more per 60 min on the PP this year than he did last year. Strome had little to do with that as he's the ultimate passenger on that unit.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I would still give it to MacKinnon over Panarin due to the situation he was in. The number of games his best teammates missed due to injury, leading everyone else on his team by 43+ points. He really carried his team to the play offs.

Panarin has been great, but the dual-threat the Rangers have with him and Zibanejad does affect the MVP-considerion for me. The 2nd and 3rd highest in points were rookie D-man Cale Makar and bottom 6 forward Andre Burakovsky, on MacKinnon's team. That's crazy

I think all this shows you is the top players don't need other top players to produce. MacKinnon can perform with Landeskog/Rantanen and he can perform without them. Panarin can perform with Atkinson or he can perform with Jesper Fast. If the Rangers had more injuries, or the Oilers had more injuries, you'd likely have the exact same scenario of Panarin or Draisaitl/MacKinnon outscoring his teammates by a huge margin.

Reactions: CasusBelli

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The biggest compliment I can pay Strome is that he doesn't drag Panarin down.

If you look deeper into the numbers, Panarin's shot% jumped as did his secondary assist count. Neither of those things are really things we can rely on to carry over into next season.

OTOH, he almost had a full point more per 60 min on the PP this year than he did last year. Strome had little to do with that as he's the ultimate passenger on that unit.
The biggest compliment I have for Strome is that IF this is what he is when paired with Panarin, then he enables the coaching staff to deploy two top lines. Yeah, I know. Cue the "Panarin is the sole reason that happens. Ok. Like I said, if it were that easy and anyone can do it, then why not sign some rookie for an ECL and have him do it?

The view seems to be that all of Strome's assists can be discounted as Panarin scored them. All someone needs to do is skate at center and simply lob the puck to Panarin's side of the ice.

Reactions: will1066

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The biggest compliment I have for Strome is that he was somehow able to dupe a large portion of the fanbase and media into believing that he allows the coaching staff to deploy two lines. Ryan Spooner could do the same thing if he was here in this role. He already has done it before with Boston.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The biggest compliment I have for Strome is that IF this is what he is when paired with Panarin, then he enables the coaching staff to deploy two top lines. Yeah, I know. Cue the "Panarin is the sole reason that happens. Ok. Like I said, if it were that easy and anyone can do it, then why not sign some rookie for an ECL and have him do it?

The view seems to be that all of Strome's assists can be discounted as Panarin scored them. All someone needs to do is skate at center and simply lob the puck to Panarin's side of the ice.

I mean, you may not want to admit it but it's true. Its the reason why I shook my head every time someone put Zibanejad and Panarin together in line combos last off season.

It's not as simple as existing, as I said Strome should be credited for not dragging him down (that wasn't a dig at him, there are plenty of players in the league who would do that. Howden would for sure) But it would be foolish to think that Strome had a large part of Panarin doing what he did this year. I really don't think he would have been any less successful this season with Chytil down the middle.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I mean, you may not want to admit it but it's true. Its the reason why I shook my head every time someone put Zibanejad and Panarin together in line combos last off season.

It's not as simple as existing, as I said Strome should be credited for not dragging him down (that wasn't a dig at him, there are plenty of players in the league who would do that. Howden would for sure) But it would be foolish to think that Strome had a large part of Panarin doing what he did this year. I really don't think he would have been any less successful this season with Chytil down the middle.
I am not admitting it because I do not believe that attributing zero to Strome while Panarin was on pace to demolish all of his records is valid.

I am not stating that Strome was a large part of Panarin's success. Panarin was arguably a top-5 player in the league. He could do plenty himself. But he WAS a part of it. And I guess that is where we diverge in our views. I have zero evidence that had Chytil centered Panarin all year, that the results would be the same (Panarin would be what he was and Chytil would be a 70 point player). I just do not believe that to be true. And because I don't, I see Strome as a pretty valuable commodity that could be had a reasonable rate.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I am not admitting it because I do not believe that attributing zero to Strome while Panarin was on pace to demolish all of his records is valid.

I am not stating that Strome was a large part of Panarin's success. Panarin was arguably a top-5 player in the league. He could do plenty himself. But he WAS a part of it. And I guess that is where we diverge in our views. I have zero evidence that had Chytil centered Panarin all year, that the results would be the same (Panarin would be what he was and Chytil would be a 70 point player). I just do not believe that to be true. And because I don't, I see Strome as a pretty valuable commodity that could be had a reasonable rate.
I think it's really easy to say "Oh, Strome plays with Panarin". But Panarin's numbers are are better than ever before in a season. Now is that all attributable to Strome? Of course not. But Panarin has played with players much better than Strome and not had this kind of success. Strome may not be the flashy player but he has learned to find open ice wear Panarin can feed him.

We've seen before that playerscan't find success playing with an elite player (see Jagr and Drury or Gomez).

Reactions: CasusBelli

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

There is obviously a huge difference between "Any competent NHL player should be able to have success with Panarin" and "Any person in the world can have success with Panarin" but gotta go with the absolute max hypoerbole whenever possible. Yes, I believe if you put Panarin with the vast majority of 3C level players you will see almost no fall off. If you put Panarin with random ECHL 4C obviously the production will not be there.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There is obviously a huge difference between "Any competent NHL player should be able to have success with Panarin" and "Any person in the world can have success with Panarin" but gotta go with the absolute max hypoerbole whenever possible. Yes, I believe if you put Panarin with the vast majority of 3C level players you will see almost no fall off. If you put Panarin with random ECHL 4C obviously the production will not be there.
Claiming that the vast majority of 3rd line centers could spend a season with Panarin and morph into 70 point players, all the while helping Panarin achieve career numbers is really no different than citing the max hyperbole you describe.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Claiming that the vast majority of 3rd line centers could spend a season with Panarin and morph into 70 point players, all the while helping Panarin achieve career numbers is really no different than citing the max hyperbole you describe.

If that was true, I'm sure coaches and GMs would capitalize on that. But no, Pittsburgh pays Guentzel 6m a year to put up 50-ish points a season playing with Crosby.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Panarin's super productive season has everything to do with scoring being up, higher secondary assist numbers and a lethal PP. Had CBJ not had an ass PP last year he would have easily been top 10 in scoring.

It doesn't mean that he isn't good, it's clear that hes one of the top wingers in the league, but that has nothing to do with Strome.

Whats next? Are we going to credit Staal with DeAngelo's break out?

If that was true, I'm sure coaches and GMs would capitalize on that. But no, Pittsburgh pays Guentzel 6m a year to put up 50-ish points a season playing with Crosby.

You do realize that he's basically been a PPG player over the last 1.5 seasons right?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Pretty sure we've gone through this Guentzel/Crosby/etc. thing before on HF in relation to Panarin/Strome/etc. and it turns out just to show that...yes...playing elite players with randoms did result in the randoms having beeeeeeeeeeg success.

Also, Guentzel was a known good player before being an NHL regular, and is good in his own right, so it's a bad player to bring comparison to.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Panarin's super productive season has everything to do with scoring being up, higher secondary assist numbers and a lethal PP. Had CBJ not had an ass PP last year he would have easily been top 10 in scoring.

It doesn't mean that he isn't good, it's clear that hes one of the top wingers in the league, but that has nothing to do with Strome.

Whats next? Are we going to credit Staal with DeAngelo's break out?

You do realize that he's basically been a PPG player over the last 1.5 seasons right?
I don’t think the PP made much of a difference, he led the league in EV points by 11 (which is a massive gap), and was on pace for the most EV points in a season since Jagr in 1996

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad