Value of: Artemi Panarin

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Ok so enough of the Q&A talk and the thread which basically turned into a why Columbus sucks thread.

We know it's not likely that he's going to re-sign in Columbus, we don't know the exact reason why other than "he doesn't know if he wants to sign for 8 years here"

This isn't a thread to discuss why he wants to be in city a over city b, it's to discuss his value and what your team would offer for him. Obviously his value is affected by him either being a rental or potentially re-signing with the team that trades for him.

In a perfect world something similar to the Nash deal would be our best case scenario.

Young(ish)top 6 winger or two experienced 2/3rd liners + A/B level prospect (depending on roster players) + 1st Rd pick + conditional picks for him re-signing.

Before you post, I urge you to read the following.

By semipopular request, I now present the Artemi Panarin Trading FAQ.

Q1: What sort of return are you guys looking for?
A1: It's kind of variable; there's a lot of schools of thought among Jackets fans on this. Some of us want something more Okayish Roster based, and some want something more Very Shiny Future based; see below. There's one fundamental rule, tho - we really don't need defensemen (we're fine there), so forwards and picks only, please.

Q2: What kind of roster-focused return would you guys like?
A2: Probably the best we can realistically hope for is a "2-for-1" type deal, in which we essentially replace Panarin's contribution with "brute force" from two other players. In such a case, expect the two guys going to us to combined score more than Panarin did last year. (That's why it's called "brute force".) Forwards and minor picks only, please.

Q3: What kind of futures-based return are you guys looking at?
A3: High 1sts and/or forward prospects who might have the kind of upside that Panarin is showing now. Ideally that would come with something for the roster, but, again, opinions vary there. Forwards and picks only, please.

Q4: Is there some other variant on that that we can go for instead? I don't like giving up elite prospects/multiple roster forwards.
A4: Quite possibly. If we can do one really good roster forward and a pretty good future asset as the base, that can also be acceptable. It really depends heavily on the sorts of assets involved. Forwards and picks only, please.

Q5: Can we do something based around a defenseman?
A5: Nope. We're more than set on defense, so that doesn't actually bring value back to the team. And making up the difference would cost your team so much more that it's not going to be worth it to either of our teams. Stick to forwards and picks only, please.

Q6: What kinds of roster forwards are you looking for?
A6: Top-6. Specifically, guys who would be at home on the first or second lines - because we're losing an elite first-liner here. Ideally, they'd also be around the same age as Panarin (mid-20s). Middle-6 (at home on the second or third lines) is not going to be acceptable unless we're getting a REALLY good forward prospect back as part of the deal; we do not have someone who can move up to the first line. Coming to us with two middle-6 forwards and a late 1st, in particular, is going to get you torn apart like a deer amongst hungry wolves. The same goes for coming to us with defensemen in that package - forwards and picks only, please.

Q7: Will he sign with my team? / I can offer something like the above, but only if he signs here.
A7: Don't count on it. The whole reason he's potentially available is because he seems to really be interested in UFA freedom of choice. For all we know, he'll sign with Columbus after being traded (g-d, I hope so ;) ). If you want to insure your return against his possibly leaving, your best bet is conditionalized picks to go along with your forwards. We can accept that. Still, forwards and picks only, please.

Q8: Are you sure on that "no defense" thing? You could flip them for what you REALLY need...
A8: Again, this is a bad value proposition for both teams. Flipping a guy afterward just puts us in a situation where GMs know they have a second opportunity to rip us off. So while you can have blueliners involved in a three-way, the return to the Jackets should consist strictly of forwards and picks only, please.

Q9: What are your team needs? Maybe we can handle those directly...
A9: We need a game-breaking scoring forward. Like, y'know, Panarin. If you wish to do a straight-up trade like that, we'll be happy to listen. But otherwise, forwards and picks only, please.

Q10: What if we pick up one of your existing defensemen as part of the deal?
A10: It could work, but that's going to be seriously tricky to pull off well. We're really not interested in lateral moves, so frankly it'll only work as a minor value gap covering thing. Fundamentally, if you're going to trade for Panarin, the package is going to have to be centered around forwards and possibly also some picks.

Q11: You're not going to get anything like that return, you know; he wants out.
A11: That's already been accounted for in the above. The actual acceptable return would be, as noted in response #8 above, a replacement game-breaking scoring forward. The circumstances, alas, are such that this is unlikely. If you're willing to offer such, that's awesome, but we're not banking on it. Trying to haggle things down even further is just being greedy. All we need is the right combo of forwards and picks - those only, please.

Q12: Seriously, our blueliner is so awesome; why won't you take him in return? You need to get something!
A12: We don't want to damage the team any more than it's already going to be damaged. Forwards and picks only, please.

Bonus Q: You realize, of course, that this gimmick of yours means that inevitably someone's going to reply with a sarcastic defense-only offer, right?
Bonus A: Yes, but you can't win if you don't try.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Ok so enough of the Q&A talk and the thread which basically turned into a why Columbus sucks thread.

We know it's not likely that he's going to re-sign in Columbus, we don't know the exact reason why other than "he doesn't know if he wants to sign for 8 years here"

This isn't a thread to discuss why he wants to be in city a over city b, it's to discuss his value and what your team would offer for him. Obviously his value is affected by him either being a rental or potentially re-signing with the team that trades for him.

In a perfect world something similar to the Nash deal would be our best case scenario.

Young(ish)top 6 winger or two experienced 2/3rd liners + A/B level prospect (depending on roster players) + 1st Rd pick + conditional picks for him re-signing.

Connor Brown, Kapanen, Nielsen, 1st

:sarcasm:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
@Viqsi i think it’s time for you to put together an all-encompassing FAQ and acceptable proposal list
WLDD already kind of covered it in the OP - something similar to the Nash deal (although I wouldn't call that the "best case scenario"; the best case scenario is we get a replacement elite winger). I may go for something more detailed later.

EDIT: It's up.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I would need him to agree to an extension BEFORE completing a trade.
I would want Columbus to do what Ottawa is doing with Karlsson: let interested teams talk to his rep about an extension.

Walhstrom is the isles #1 prospect.
Walhstrom + Nelson +2019 top 2 protected 1st+ Soderstrom for Panarin?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I would need him to agree to an extension BEFORE completing a trade.
I would want Columbus to do what Ottawa is doing with Karlsson: let interested teams talk to his rep about an extension.
What if he refuses to talk extension with anyone and is dead set on testing free agency?

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Isles would only be interested if he's willing to sign an extension but we could do a deal around prospects like Bellows or maybe if he's willing to sign an extension in CBus, Lee or someone like that.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Then you take the best offer available.
Not if it is less than a top-6 forward and a good prospect.

And if nobody is offering that, you get a year of play out of him then part ways and look to use the cap elsewhere.

This is no time to panic and dump him for whatever we can get.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
But i if he doesn't want to re-sign with Columbus, why he would sign an extension with us

That's a good question and applicable to any team that might be interested in acquiring him. I'd guess that would impact what teams might be willing to offer. And as another poster said above, they'd expect that Jarmo would let their team talk with the agent. That could also affect an offer.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
What if he refuses to talk extension with anyone and is dead set on testing free agency?

There is a tweet posted on the isles board that they were in the EK bidding and willing to take on Ryan's contract, but EK reportedly will not sign an extension with the nyi and so they are out of the EK bidding.

Not surprising after the Tavares mess. I
I would think that Panarin without an extension , would hold no appeal.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
There is a tweet posted on the isles board that they were in the EK bidding and willing to take on Ryan's contract, but EK reportedly will not sign an extension with the nyi and so they are out of the EK bidding.

Not surprising after the Tavares mess. I
I would think that Panarin without an extension , would hold no appeal.

Do the Isles have anything good for extended Panarin, though?

I think, Florida would be a good destination. They have Huberdeau... Panarin, Wennberg for Trocheck, Huberdeau would be even better, but I doubt Florida does it without an extention.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Would some combination of assets like Tierney, Labanc, Norris, 1st or 2nd round picks work?

If not, would something around Meier+ work?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Any positional preference on the prospects involved? I assume D is not of interest? And what is the Jackets cap situation. e.g can a guy like Backes (3x3.6 in REAL money, but 6 cap hit) be included in the return for a price?

Rory

Jun 14, 2017

The real question is what do you think his value is if he does not want to resign when traded? This is the whole issue with Karlsson. Everyone assumes that the star player being traded is re-signing with the new team. This is not always the case so what would it take to get 1 year of Panarin?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad