Confirmed with Link: Artemi Panarin, Tyler Motte, 6th (17) to Columbus for Saad, Forsberg, 5th (18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I'll guess that Panarin's agent-along with most other agents-keeps a close eye on what Tavares and Matthews get and goes from there. He'll be 27 starting next season so an 8 year deal takes him through 34 which is about as good an age-time frame as a team can hope to sign a top player.

He's blown away every other CBJ in points production. He's a top 10 wing. It would be surprising to see him settle for less than $9 million per year. I think it'll be richer. His contract will probably include a NMC and a lot of bonus money as well. It's hard for me to see him signing for much less than Eichel did. Buffalo screwed up the pay levels with that deal. Edmonton's Draisatl deal will also cause problems for GMs.

I'll guess that he'll get $9.75 million/8 years/NMC/heavy bonus money. First year salary plus bonus in the $12 million range.
You may be right. It'll certainly be an 8 year deal which is ok based on his age. If $9M would sign him, I'd do it with little hesitation....but I suspect it could take a few bucks more.

While I love his goal scoring, his assists are also incredibly impressive. Players often rack up assists because they made the last pass or pass just prior while the goal scorer does the rest of the work. In Panarin's case, so many of his assists are true table setters where the recipient just has to shoot; the goal is contingent on the perfect set-up from Panarin's skating and keen eye for the open spot. That's as rare a talent as his goal scoring.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
How are bonuses counted against the cap?
same as regular salary. The difference is is that once a bonus is given those bonus monies must be paid in full. Regular salary can be bought out at 2/3 on a buyout. Bonus money must be paid in full. So the big difference is that if the contract contains a lot of bonus money for all intents and purposes it can't be bought out

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
You may be right. It'll certainly be an 8 year deal which is ok based on his age. If $9M would sign him, I'd do it with little hesitation....but I suspect it could take a few bucks more.

While I love his goal scoring, his assists are also incredibly impressive. Players often rack up assists because they made the last pass or pass just prior while the goal scorer does the rest of the work. In Panarin's case, so many of his assists are true table setters where the recipient just has to shoot; the goal is contingent on the perfect set-up from Panarin's skating and keen eye for the open spot. That's as rare a talent as his goal scoring.
I cringe at the thought of paying any hockey player outside of a McDavid-type that type of money. I hope the club does its due diligence on how he is off the ice ....personal habits flaws all that stuff.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
What exactly is your definition of a superstar? One who drives TV ratings? 233 pts in 243 NHL games and a ppg this year ain't bad. I think it translates to a 12.4 share in viewership terms.:sarcasm:

When Canada and the major markets want the CBJ on TV, outside of playing a Canadian team (even then they would rather it be someone else) or the Rangers. When the NHL is wanting the CBJ in the winter classic. A superstar transcends markets. It's your desire to watch someone because you have no idea what they are going to do next (Bonds, Gretzky, Montana, Woods). In this generation of hockey it was Crosby, now that is moving on to players like McDavid and Matthews. AO and Stamkos are starting to wind down. Do you think that Panaris is even up there with Kucherov? I'm not sure Panarin is ever going to reach 40 goals.

No question Panarin is a start, but superstar? I don't see it. I'm perfectly ok with that. I'll be happy with a PPG player that doesn't drive a 10+ million dollar AAV.

The playoff will be a chance for him to really shine and, perhaps, start to move that needle even more.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
He has superstar level production arguably. But he doesn't have the hype mainly because of how he came into the league at the age of 23 as a UFA. If he had been elite at 17 and been drafted in the top-5 in 2010, then yeah he would have more pull.

That said, if I'm John McConnell, I'd start pushing Bettman to have a clause put into the next television rights agreement between the NHL and (presumably) NBC which sets a more equal min/max for nationally televised regular season games. Might not get support from the other owners, but that'd be my annoying thing I keep bringing up at ownership meetings.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I cringe at the thought of paying any hockey player outside of a McDavid-type that type of money. I hope the club does its due diligence on how he is off the ice ....personal habits flaws all that stuff.
I hear you. It's a huge commitment and a lot of money tied to one player.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
My guess is 8 years (max term), $8m/year range. Comparable to what Vladimir Tarasenko got in St Louis.

He hasn't led us to a Cup (yet?), so I don't see him getting the $10 that Kane got.

Reactions: EspenK and Viqsi

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
My guess is 8 years (max term), $8m/year range. Comparable to what Vladimir Tarasenko got in St Louis.

He hasn't led us to a Cup (yet?), so I don't see him getting the $10 that Kane got.
If I'm Panarin's agent, then I draw my line in the sand at Eichel's compensation level. I can't see him signing for 8 million a year. If Taveras commands something stupid like 11 12 million then this could be a very contentious negotiation. It might be in Panarin's best interest to just play it through the to UFA

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If I'm Panarin's agent, then I draw my line in the sand at Eichel's compensation level. I can't see him signing for 8 million a year. If Taveras commands something stupid like 11 12 million then this could be a very contentious negotiation. It might be in Panarin's best interest to just play it through the to UFA

If he intends to play it through to UFA, the CBJ have a tough decision to make. Do you go for broke and try to win the cup? This can backfire if you're wrong (Ottawa) but can also help immensely (Pittsburgh). Trading away young guys for proven talent. I guess we'll see how we perform in the PO this year.

Or, do you trade him for max return if he won't negotiate? No doubt you piss off the team and the fans for trading the best player, but you also have to look at the big picture. July will be interesting.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
If he intends to play it through to UFA, the CBJ have a tough decision to make. Do you go for broke and try to win the cup? This can backfire if you're wrong (Ottawa) but can also help immensely (Pittsburgh). Trading away young guys for proven talent. I guess we'll see how we perform in the PO this year.

Or, do you trade him for max return if he won't negotiate? No doubt you piss off the team and the fans for trading the best player, but you also have to look at the big picture. July will be interesting.

If he doesn't negotiate, you have to trade him away. We have too much investment in him to let him go for nothing.

The thing that's getting overlooked in the comparisons with Tavares and Eichel - small as it may seem - centers naturally command more dollars because they have more value. Panarin plays on the wing. Both guys are labeled as generational talents who are the faces of their franchise. And have been since they were drafted.

The other thing: would he want to risk leaving a great situation with a team that is set up to be at the top of the league for the entire length of whatever contract he's out to sign?

Columbus has everything a player like this wants. It's an easy media market, great city, young, talented team, and cap space to make sure he never has to worry about money again.

I think it'll get done pretty easily, and work for all parties involved.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

The CBJ FO will have to make a proper evaluation of where this negotiation really is by the time the regular season starts-if a deal has not yet been reached. The NYI didn't make the right call about Taveres-or so it seems. The CBJ FO has not distinguished itself when it comes to difficult negotiations. They had best not screw this one up. Panarin is their best asset and needs to be handled appropriately. If there's too much of a gap in negotiations by October then they'll need to trade him for appropriate value.

Overpaying him by a million or so shouldn't stop the team from signing him. It's the war, the long term competitiveness of the CBJ that's important, not 1.5 percent of the total cap that overpayment might involve.

As you say, July will be very interesting.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Another thing to consider is who will have the cap space to pay him $10 mill? I'm guessing not a lot especially a young, team with a bright future.

Reactions: Sore Loser

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
especially a young, team with a bright future.
Sounds like "he must be happy to carry our young guys and dry vets next few years")))) thats joke
But i beleive that CBJ is best team for him. He can bring here his work ethic and mentality to young players and looks like they accept it. This is his team and i hope Artemi understands it. Chicago wasnt best for him.

Last edited:

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Agree with many others... I probably shoot for a deal around 8.3-8.5 million AAV, but I'd be willing to go up to 9 million to keep him around if it on's a shorter basis... I don't think he'll get 10 million a year like Eichel as he's viewed as a franchise centerman, point per game producer on a awful team as a teenager. Patrick Kane had previously been producing at about a point per game in the playoffs, leading them to the Stanley Cup at the time of his contract as well..

8.5 seems fair. I presume most on this board are in favor a long term contract.

Like Sore Loser said, If Panarin doesn't want to sign here... You have to look at trading him, as painful as it could be to the fans... But, I'm not really worried about that happening.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'll guess that Panarin's agent-along with most other agents-keeps a close eye on what Tavares and Matthews get and goes from there. He'll be 27 starting next season so an 8 year deal takes him through 34 which is about as good an age-time frame as a team can hope to sign a top player.

He's blown away every other CBJ in points production. He's a top 10 wing. It would be surprising to see him settle for less than $9 million per year. I think it'll be richer. His contract will probably include a NMC and a lot of bonus money as well. It's hard for me to see him signing for much less than Eichel did. Buffalo screwed up the pay levels with that deal. Edmonton's Draisatl deal will also cause problems for GMs.

I'll guess that he'll get $9.75 million/8 years/NMC/heavy bonus money. First year salary plus bonus in the $12 million range.
Bonuses are only permissible on ELCs and age 35+ contracts under the CBA.

fashi13

Feb 13, 2008

I agree, Kuznetsov got 7.8 AAV over 8 years and is a center, so I really see Artemi getting 8 to 8.5 on a 8 year deal.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
I agree, Kuznetsov got 7.8 AAV over 8 years and is a center, so I really see Artemi getting 8 to 8.5 on a 8 year deal.
Panarin have much harder situation - to success whyle Kuzi have best goalscorer of last 20 yearsto gain points who also is his friend and also Orlov who his friend since WJC 2011.
Things are pretty simple
If you wnat to star player for lesser money you should offer him real SC chances ot perspectives or good friends at the team (debatable). If you havent them - be ready to overpay

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Panarin and his girlfriend, Alisa, have grown close with Bobrovsky and his wife, Olga. But how much longer they'll play together in Columbus remains a mystery.

The Blue Jackets would like to sign both players to contract extensions this summer, but both might be in line for salaries of $10 million or more per season.

Both Panarin and Milstein, his agent, say they are willing to talk with the Blue Jackets about an extension this summer, but it's unclear how much the Jackets will be willing to spend — and able to spend, given the constraints of the NHL's salary cap.

Panarin and Bobrovsky can be unrestricted free agents after the 2018-19 season.

Panarin seems comfortable in Columbus, says he's fond of Tortorella and his teammates and says he has nothing to complain about.

“For me, it's not all about the money,” Panarin says. “I want the things that money can't buy.”
Then he flashes an ornery grin.

“But don't tell the general manager this, right?”

An incredible journey: Artemi Panarin's path from poverty to...

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Amazing that this is the part you took from that story. :D All business.
I also must say, his agent has a different tone now, he used to say this is an opportunity for Bread to land a bigger deal(somewhere), now he says he thinks Columbus is his team. Good.

Inglewood JACKets

Jan 11, 2011
Columbus, OH
Bread seems to be having a really good time playing with this team. Always see him smiling on the bench.

Unless Jarmo trys to undercut him on negotiations, I don't see why we wouldn't be able to re-sign him.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Bread seems to be having a really good time playing with this team. Always see him smiling on the bench.

Unless Jarmo trys to undercut him on negotiations, I don't see why we wouldn't be able to re-sign him.

That is a fireable offense, imo.

This team would be nowhere near the playoffs without him. I'd be willing to give $9m per for #9.

Reactions: Inglewood JMFJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad