Confirmed with Link: Artemi Panarin, Tyler Motte, 6th (17) to Columbus for Saad, Forsberg, 5th (18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Panarin's going to get a huge deal from someone.

Bob's case is so interesting. If he plays like he is capable this post season, then he's going to seek a Carey Price deal (though I don't think he'll get that anywhere). If he flops, who knows what to do? He'd be a valuable commodity with a huge asterik. My guess is that someone will bank on a change of scenery cure for post season woes and sign him for 7 years at $8-9 million per. Either as a UFA or a sign and trade.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Panarin's going to get a huge deal from someone.

Bob's case is so interesting. If he plays like he is capable this post season, then he's going to seek a Carey Price deal (though I don't think he'll get that anywhere). If he flops, who knows what to do? He'd be a valuable commodity with a huge asterik. My guess is that someone will bank on a change of scenery cure for post season woes and sign him for 7 years at $8-9 million per. Either as a UFA or a sign and trade.
From looking at playoff history, there are only 3 active goalies that have a higher GAA in the playoffs than Bob , and his save percentage, there are maybe 5 or 6 goalies with a worse save percentage. The amount of money Bob makes is ludicrous, for how he has played in the playoffs. Dont give me regular season awards, if you want to be paid like an elite goalie, you better win, when it counts. Even if he has a great run this playoffs, he should be willing to take a pay cut on his next contract to keep the core of the team together . If not , I fully agree with you that a trade is likely. Currently hes the second highest paid goalie in the league, and many around him have won cups .

NHL Rankings

Reactions: thebus88

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Wow, I figure contract discussions were going to go this route and they are. It doesn't take much around her to get people to throw a lot of others people's money around. I'll let the process play out. I've seen on evidence that he wouldn't be willing to re-sign and it seems unlikely he'd be too bitter after the disaster in Chicago this season.

These playoff are important for a multitude of reasons.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Wow, I figure contract discussions were going to go this route and they are. It doesn't take much around her to get people to throw a lot of others people's money around. I'll let the process play out. I've seen on evidence that he wouldn't be willing to re-sign and it seems unlikely he'd be too bitter after the disaster in Chicago this season.

These playoff are important for a multitude of reasons.
What evidence have you personally seen that he wouldn't be willing to resign ?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
From looking at playoff history, there are only 3 active goalies that have a higher GAA in the playoffs than Bob , and his save percentage, there are maybe 5 or 6 goalies with a worse save percentage. The amount of money Bob makes is ludicrous, for how he has played in the playoffs. Dont give me regular season awards, if you want to be paid like an elite goalie, you better win, when it counts. Even if he has a great run this playoffs, he should be willing to take a pay cut on his next contract to keep the core of the team together . If not , I fully agree with you that a trade is likely. Currently hes the second highest paid goalie in the league, and many around him have won cups .

NHL Rankings

I agree with you on your analysis-except the part of Bob being willing to take a pay cut. He'd be a highly unusual pro athlete to do that. I'm of the mind that even with another playoff flop, he'd still be a valued commodity. A two time Vezina winner who will just hit 30 years of age at the start of next season will be paid well regardless of his playoff performances. Someone will roll the dice that a change of scenery will alter his playoff performance. Teams like the Islanders might not care about post season records at all.

Athletes almost universally run to the highest offer or stay at a place they like with an offer very close to what they could get elsewhere. A $6 million salary ain't gonna happen with Bob.

I'll project, at a bare minimum, Bob signs for $7.5 million for 7 years. A $52 million contract. He's going to take a huge cash commitment, either in Columbus or elsewhere to lock him up for the long term.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I agree with you on your analysis-except the part of Bob being willing to take a pay cut. He'd be a highly unusual pro athlete to do that. I'm of the mind that even with another playoff flop, he'd still be a valued commodity. A two time Vezina winner who will just hit 30 years of age at the start of next season will be paid well regardless of his playoff performances. Someone will roll the dice that a change of scenery will alter his playoff performance. Teams like the Islanders might not care about post season records at all.

Athletes almost universally run to the highest offer or stay at a place they like with an offer very close to what they could get elsewhere. A $6 million salary ain't gonna happen with Bob.

I'll project, at a bare minimum, Bob signs for $7.5 million for 7 years. A $52 million contract. He's going to take a huge cash commitment, either in Columbus or elsewhere to lock him up for the long term.

7 years for a 30 year old goalie , with groin issues in the past :eek:....

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
7 years for a 30 year old goalie , with groin issues in the past :eek:....

I agree that it's not an ideal situation.

But how many 30 year old NHL stars who are at the top of their game and the top of their class (in the regular season) are going to sign a 3,4 or 5 year deal?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I agree that it's not an ideal situation.

But how many 30 year old NHL stars who are at the top of their game and the top of their class (in the regular season) are going to sign a 3,4 or 5 year deal?

Top of their class? He's good, but it's easily debatable on who the best is in the league.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Top of their class? He's good, but it's easily debatable on who the best is in the league.

Agreed. "Top of the class" was a figure of speech. But I don't think that there'd be much discussion about Bob being a top 5 goalie. Regular season, of course.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Just make a fake account so you can do it anonymously.

Right. Anything to preserve my... cred...ibil....ity....

o8a5J4F.gif

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
I tried to line up and recreate panarins otgw from a standing position on my drive way net. Never even pulled the trigger. I laughed and decided just launching pucks into the back of my neighbors house was a bad idea. I tried standing in front of the net just practicing going backhand to wrist shot in a slow even pace aiming at a target.... I tried

I’m in awe of this guy. Not giving him a long term big money contract is insane

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I tried to line up and recreate panarins otgw from a standing position on my drive way net. Never even pulled the trigger. I laughed and decided just launching pucks into the back of my neighbors house was a bad idea. I tried standing in front of the net just practicing going backhand to wrist shot in a slow even pace aiming at a target.... I tried

I’m in awe of this guy. Not giving him a long term big money contract is insane
That's what I love about hockey. I'm sure he's never tried or done that move before. He just saw a opening and reacted. That's one thing I've learned from playing 20 years, if you have to think about what you're doing, you took to long.

I'll be sure to try that move sometime at the rink though, I'm the kind of guy who will miss the wide open net but bury the hardest of shots I have no business finishing :laugh:

Theres like 3 separate moves to practice to even be able to get that shot off like he did, so this might take awhile.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Jarmo sees what all of u see. Quite frankly, he is a generational talent. He is a legit superstar in the same vain as Crosby. And I think Bread is having fun & loving being in Columbus & being a Jacket. A deal will get done. Bread wants to b here & Jarmo wants him here. It will happen.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Jarmo sees what all of u see. Quite frankly, he is a generational talent. He is a legit superstar in the same vain as Crosby.

That's a lot of going way overboard. McDavid is generational, Panarin is not in that category. I'm happy he's here and he's very talented, but hell no.

Reactions: Sore Loser

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
That's a lot of going way overboard. McDavid is generational, Panarin is not in that category. I'm happy he's here and he's very talented, but hell no.

Agreed.

You have tier 1, Crosby, McDavid, maybe one or two others. Then you have tier 2, which is where I would rank Panarin.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
That's what I love about hockey. I'm sure he's never tried or done that move before. He just saw a opening and reacted. That's one thing I've learned from playing 20 years, if you have to think about what you're doing, you took to long.

I'll be sure to try that move sometime at the rink though, I'm the kind of guy who will miss the wide open net but bury the hardest of shots I have no business finishing :laugh:

Theres like 3 separate moves to practice to even be able to get that shot off like he did, so this might take awhile.
I think he often practices that kind of shoot and moves just bacause this is basic position for righty at LW position in Russia . NA style is different. LW s are lefties here so you just havent that advantage to even practice that move at your basic wing wile in Russia hockey schools are train your advantages from righty at LW or leftie at RW. We saw many similar goals from Kovalchuk and Ovie earlier

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think he often practices that kind of shoot and moves just bacause this is basic position for righty at LW position in Russia . NA style is different. LW s are lefties here so you just havent that advantage to even practice that move at your basic wing wile in Russia hockey schools are train your advantages from righty at LW or leftie at RW. We saw many similar goals from Kovalchuk and Ovie earlier
Well I mean yeah, it was a combination of quick hands and quick feet. He practices a lot of stick handling and I'm sure he does a lot of agility and skating drills, but I'm not sure exactly how you would practice that particular move. I think it was just a culmination of years and years of stick handling and skating drills.

The move and the shot aren't difficult by themselves. It's doing it at full speed with two guys draped all over him that makes it special.

Reactions: akmuo33

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Well I mean yeah, it was a combination of quick hands and quick feet. He practices a lot of stick handling and I'm sure he does a lot of agility and skating drills, but I'm not sure exactly how you would practice that particular move. I think it was just a culmination of years and years of stick handling and skating drills.

The move and the shot aren't difficult by themselves. It's doing it at full speed with two guys draped all over him that makes it special.

The shot itself looks really damn hard to me. Maybe if there's no goalie there... but dat angle. Then you add in the other 2 guys trying to stop him. Hubba hubba wubba lubba.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->