Artemi Panarin: First Calder Winner Since Patrick Kane?

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Sure, why not.

Honestly, the Calder is about Lady Bing level to me as far as NHL awards.

Yeah, its tough to win, but only because of the fact you only get one shot at it.

Exactly.

Yeastmode's to lose at this point.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
10 points is a lot. I can't remember the last time a rookie held such a large lead. Michael Ryder in 03-04 was the last time a rookie finished with at least a 10 point lead.

Oh for sure, 10 points is an impressive lead but it's also January. Larkin has a lot of time to gain ground. Again, I'm not saying that Panarin won't win it. I'm just saying it's not a one horse race at this point.

Retail1LO*

Voted no, because I don't think he should. But he will. He's older, and playing with arguably the best player in the game, currently. Some of the guys just behind Panarin are far younger, and make due with a fraction of the talent on their line. I'd go with Max Domi. Playing even +/- hockey on a junk team, 10 points back with two in hand...fraction of the age...and nothing remotely resembling Patrick Kane on his line.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
He should also get consideration for an oscar for his performance here:

CavernousTanCrocodileskink.gif

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
If his production continues at this pace (think it will), he's almost a lock for The Calder. The League, media and fans have caught up to the awareness of what Panarin is doing. Very hard to envision anyone beating him out provided he maintains his production.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
Voted no, because I don't think he should. But he will. He's older, and playing with arguably the best player in the game, currently. Some of the guys just behind Panarin are far younger, and make due with a fraction of the talent on their line. I'd go with Max Domi. Playing even +/- hockey on a junk team, 10 points back with two in hand...fraction of the age...and nothing remotely resembling Patrick Kane on his line.

True. When you take the talent around him into consideration, Domi's season has been even more impressive than Larkin's. At least Larkin is playing with Zetterberg.

Retail1LO*

we all saw that dive... what's your point?

I think it's an exhibition of just how horrendous it was.

They should give out game miscounducts for **** like that. Seriously. There's no excuse for people to be flopping around like that.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
That did look like it came right out of a Vancouver playbook. Hopefully Q talks to him and gets him to steer clear of that stuff in the future.

CPHawksFan

That's Hockey Baby!!
Jun 17, 2011
Crown Point, IN
I don't know if he will keep it up or if he will be punished by some voters for his age

But at end of day Panarin is the Russian forward I have wanted all my life on Hawks.

So many young Russians who I have wanted to workout have come and gone leaving only disappointment (Nabokov and Vorobiev) or downright disgust (Yakubov)

Before Panarin the only Russian forwards I could say were quality Hawks would have been Zhamnov and Krivo (Krivo was solid 3rd liner ,, Never had talent to be what Hawk fans wanted him to be)

Hell you can say this about Anisimov as well

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I dont know why but since I was a kid I have always loved Russian hockey

Remember the exhibition games between Soviet teams and NHL teams in I believe 91

I traded for every (Or almost every) Soviet player card that came out with NHL set that year as kid. And reallly since then have just loved Russian hockey and used to watch highlights of Russian Elite League via internet

I think it was Opee Chee that had those Soviet players that year in there set (Might have been Topps)

Topps and OPC are pretty much the same sets. OPC is just a Canadian version of Topps.

Indeed Topps/OPC had the Russian cards, so did Upper Deck.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Thing about Panarin is that he really doesn't play like a Russian player.... He's pretty much like Patrick Sharp, just younger, more dynamic with better hands and is a bit more aggressive...

That is why I said when we signed him that he was basically Sharp's replacement and I was more than happy with that (not that I wanted to see Sharp go, or even Saad for that matter) but we all knew Sharpie was gone, and Panarin was the perfect player to replace him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad