Artemi Panarin: First Calder Winner Since Patrick Kane?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
He's the frontrunner right now. Barring an injury or a complete drop in production in the second half, it's his to lose.

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
I just wonder about the voters.

He's older, he plays with Kane. Even though he is leading the pack I could see some voters easily going another way. Same thing with the Hart re:Kane, although that has more to do with the off-ice stuff.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I don't know if he will keep it up or if he will be punished by some voters for his age

But at end of day Panarin is the Russian forward I have wanted all my life on Hawks.

So many young Russians who I have wanted to workout have come and gone leaving only disappointment (Nabokov and Vorobiev) or downright disgust (Yakubov)

Before Panarin the only Russian forwards I could say were quality Hawks would have been Zhamnov and Krivo (Krivo was solid 3rd liner ,, Never had talent to be what Hawk fans wanted him to be)

FinnFan8

Expert Thread-Killer
Dec 7, 2015
SF, CA
I agree. That 2000 draft still makes me shudder. ****ing Mike Smith. :rant:

Vorobiev, Yakubov, Radulov, Barkunov, Luchkin. There were boatloads of good Russians in that draft and we picked all the bad ones. When Reto Von Arx may vary well be the highlight of that draft, you know it was a stinker.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I don't know if he will keep it up or if he will be punished by some voters for his age

But at end of day Panarin is the Russian forward I have wanted all my life on Hawks.

So many young Russians who I have wanted to workout have come and gone leaving only disappointment (Nabokov and Vorobiev) or downright disgust (Yakubov)

Before Panarin the only Russian forwards I could say were quality Hawks would have been Zhamnov and Krivo (Krivo was solid 3rd liner ,, Never had talent to be what Hawk fans wanted him to be)

Genuine question, why are you so intrigued by Russians?
Are you part Russian?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I dont know why but since I was a kid I have always loved Russian hockey

Remember the exhibition games between Soviet teams and NHL teams in I believe 91

I traded for every (Or almost every) Soviet player card that came out with NHL set that year as kid. And reallly since then have just loved Russian hockey and used to watch highlights of Russian Elite League via internet

I think it was Opee Chee that had those Soviet players that year in there set (Might have been Topps)

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
The Russians are an enigma but suffice it to say that they are extremely talented.
I remember back to '72 and the Summit series what with the whole reality shift that Canada was not necessarily the best hockey nation. A lot has changed of course since then but one thing that hasn't is the crazy talent some of these Russians have. Truly elite and it is at long last an awesome thing to have one on the Hawks.
I say yes to Artemi winning the Calder …. but wouldn't the Conn Smythe look good on him as well!

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006

Vorobiev, Yakubov, Radulov, Barkunov, Luchkin. There were boatloads of good Russians in that draft and we picked all the bad ones. When Reto Von Arx may vary well be the highlight of that draft, you know it was a stinker.
Bad memories... lol. Thanks for the trip back down memory lane.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Panarin, Larkin, Eichel, and Hanafin should make a good race. Obviously, Panarin's to lose, but we'll see how the season progresses.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

To be fair to Smith

He did well after that initial failure and built foundation of Hawks championship teams

He just failed badly with his Eastern Euro picks though in some cases the Hawks gave up on them too early

I still believe Vorobiev would have developed into good player if Hawks wouldn't have jerked him around in 05-06 and chased him back to Europe. Also Babchuk could have been a valuable part of PP with his shot but he was another player Hawks really didn't know how to use

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

Oh Krivo had the talent. He was just a little too............shall we say thirsty.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I dont know why but since I was a kid I have always loved Russian hockey

Remember the exhibition games between Soviet teams and NHL teams in I believe 91

I traded for every (Or almost every) Soviet player card that came out with NHL set that year as kid. And reallly since then have just loved Russian hockey and used to watch highlights of Russian Elite League via internet

I think it was Opee Chee that had those Soviet players that year in there set (Might have been Topps)

Ah, very cool.
At least we finally have Panarin for you to watch :laugh:

FinnFan8

Expert Thread-Killer
Dec 7, 2015
SF, CA
To be fair to Smith

He did well after that initial failure and built foundation of Hawks championship teams

He just failed badly with his Eastern Euro picks though in some cases the Hawks gave up on them too early

I still believe Vorobiev would have developed into good player if Hawks wouldn't have jerked him around in 05-06 and chased him back to Europe. Also Babchuk could have been a valuable part of PP with his shot but he was another player Hawks really didn't know how to use

I agree. I doubt the organization was at all welcoming to European players at that time. If I was one of these kids showing up in the US, the Sophie's choice of getting stuck in Norfolk for years or having to deal with playing for Brian Sutter might send me running back home too.

I loved Ruutu, and Smith finally had hits behind the blue line in 02 and 03 with Keith, Seabs, Buff, Crow, Craig Anderson, James Wisniewski. But by that time it was too late for him...

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
Too early to tell. Larkin's only 10 points behind him right now while being 5 years younger and without the benefit of playing with the league's leading scorer. It's gonna be between Panarin, Larkin and Domi IMO.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Any voter who uses bread man's age against him, so lose their voting rights. If you want to vote for another rookie that 's fine, but don't use panarin's age against him.

Yeah, it's panarin to lose right now now.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I don't know if it's using Panarin's age against him or just using Larkin/Domi/Eichel/McDavid's ages as a bonus.

Last year Ekblad won because his age as a defensmen playing that good at 18/19 was a boost. Because that doesn't happen ever, but really a 19 year old rookie center/winger playing great on a decent or still bad team happens every year. I don't think that any one of those guys gets a bonus for it. Unless Parayko gets more ice time frequently, I don't think he'll be a contender for it.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Ekblad won because defenseman take longer to develop than forwards for the most part. A teenage rookie coming in and being borderline All-Star quality while on the blueline was sensational and well beyond just about everybody's expectations, not to mention that forward rookie vote was kind of split between Gaudreau and Stone. No rookie defenseman is putting up Ekblad numbers and Panarin is far and away the best rookie forward right now. I just don't see how, right now, it's not his to lose.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
If any voter uses the "he plays with Kane" excuse, their vote should also not count. That line was basically our only offense for a long time, and Panarin was in no way just a passenger in that. He was a big reason Kane had that streak going anyways.
Don't hold it against him that he was able to develop stupidly insane chemistry with Kaner

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
I don't know if it's using Panarin's age against him or just using Larkin/Domi/Eichel/McDavid's ages as a bonus.

Pretty much this. It's not a knock on Panarin, but you can't downplay the fact that he plays with the best offensive player in the league. No doubt he plays a significant role in Kane's production as well but I'm not entirely convinced that a 19 year old Larkin wouldn't be able to put up similar numbers. Voters will also take into considering that Panarin is in his sixth (!) season of professional hockey.

Not saying Panarin won't win it and that he doesn't deserve it if he does because he's been a HUGE part of the team this year but if Larkin finishes within 5 points of him, don't be surprised if it goes to Larkin.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Too early to tell. Larkin's only 10 points behind him right now while being 5 years younger and without the benefit of playing with the league's leading scorer. It's gonna be between Panarin, Larkin and Domi IMO.

10 points is a lot. I can't remember the last time a rookie held such a large lead. Michael Ryder in 03-04 was the last time a rookie finished with at least a 10 point lead.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Sure, why not.

Honestly, the Calder is about Lady Bing level to me as far as NHL awards.

Yeah, its tough to win, but only because of the fact you only get one shot at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad