Player Discussion Artem Anisimov (C)

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
You said: Hainsey, Zaitsev, Anisimov, Ennis, Brown... all serviceable players that have no future here, but help make the roster good enough to win some games against teams that play their back-up (which will probably be 50% of the time) against us.

So it's not just Anisimov. Which one is it? Make up your mind.

I'm good with Hainsey. In fact, I think that's a great signing. 1 year deal for a guy who's won a cup. He'll be a great influence on our young defensemen.
I'm okay with Ennis. Salary is low enough that you can just waive him whenever.

Zaitsev and Anisimov? I don't understand. Both have character concerns, neither is a very good hockey player, neither has every won anything, and both are signed for more than 1 season at 4+ million. Neither will be attractive in a trade anytime soon.

And Brown is Zack Smith, who we had but just traded.

Those aren't the type of guys I'd be looking to add.

Reactions: derriko

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I like this trade. Anisimov has some skill so he can help our young forwards develop, and he can probably be dealt for a pick this year or next.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Who is the better player

Most of the advanced metrics suggest that the two players are basically interchangeable. Anisimov's most productive seasons came with Panarin and Kane stapled to his wings.

We save money and the Hawks clear some cap space, but the on-ice differential here is trivial.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
"Former Sen"

Lmao! Rivers, a grand total of 47 games for the Sens and was retired from the NHL before Smith was even drafted.

Can we get Commodore's opinion too while we're at it?

I mean, factually he is a former Sen. Probably has more insight into Smith vs Anisimov's reputation than most around here. I'm not saying treat it as gospel, but I also don't think it should be dismissed out of hand.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This probably hurts Logan Brown's chances as much as anything. No news on White signing . I wonder how that is going.

Where does Anisimov, Tierney, Pageau and White slot in to the lineup in this "rebuild"

Reactions: derriko and Cosmix

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Exhibit A: Chris MF Tierney

I'll have to disagree here. Tierney was a point per game player through 29 games as a 20 year old in the AHL. So it was clear there's some upside there, but in San Jose he was buried under some really good centers. What we saw from him last season was exactly what he is.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
This probably hurts Logan Brown's chances as much as anything. No news on White signing . I wonder how that is going.

Where does Anisimov, Tierney, Pageau and White slot in to the lineup in this "rebuild"

I was thinking the same about Logan but this move IMO now allows the Sens to sit back and wait out these White negotiations

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This wasn't money Smith did something last year and got himself waiver wired. This was about getting rid of the negative Nancy crowd. Something went seriously wrong in the room and almost everyone is gone now.
giphy.gif

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
This is a financially motivated move, but I think it's different from most of our moves because we are actually getting the upgrade in value here.

We get the better player, he costs less, and he will be worth more at the end of the contract in a trade.

Unlike the Leafs deal, I can't find a downside to this trade if the alternative was keeping Smith. Seems like a great move for once.

Literally the only small negative is the difference in these two might win Ottawa an extra game or two.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Sure, why not?

Tkachuk-Pageau-White
Duclair-Anisimov-Brown
Boedker-Tierney-Ryan
Balcers-Ennis-Batherson

Seems pretty balanced.

Why are we playing our best center (and the only one who'll be around in 2 years) out of position and our best offensive prospect on the 4th line?

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Why are we playing our best center (and the only one who'll be around in 2 years) out of position and our best offensive prospect on the 4th line?

Because he's just that. A prospect. He'll get some PP time, and as the season progresses, if he improves, so will his ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad