Player Discussion Arshdeep Bains

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Creating a thread to discuss as there doesn't seem to be a dedicated thread here for Arshdeep.

Pretty interesting development curve from undrafted player, to strong AHL finish last year, to leading the league so far in scoring in this early season.

If he can become a regular with the main club by next year that would be a huge win for the farm system current development staff.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Would also hopefully give an edge for us recruiting undrafted players if we have proof that there's a legitimate path to the big leagues if you sign with us. More of this (as much as it'll be a long shot) is our best shot at accelerating any re-tool within the window of our current core's prime years.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Would also hopefully give an edge for us recruiting undrafted players if we have proof that there's a legitimate path to the big leagues if you sign with us. More of this (as much as it'll be a long shot) is our best shot at accelerating any re-tool within the window of our current core's prime years.
It's part of J.R.'s everything going right simultaneously blueprint.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
aWould also hopefully give an edge for us recruiting undrafted players if we have proof that there's a legitimate path to the big leagues if you sign with us. More of this (as much as it'll be a long shot) is our best shot at accelerating any re-tool within the window of our current core's prime years.
I admittedly haven’t watched a lot of this player but am curious if there’s a chance for him to play some decent minutes in. NHL games this season. Seems to be putting up some good numbers and from what little I’ve seen he seems to have NHL wheels and sees the ice pretty well. Is he gritty? Good forechecker? Can he kill penalties? Strictly a winger or can he realistically play the middle?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's reaching a point where, if we're not there already, Bains is a better option for the parent Canucks than he is for Abbotsford.

Before this season, his skating was a question-mark. But no longer. He's now one of the fastest guys on the Baby Canucks, and combined with his obvious vision and offensive skills, he's a force at both ends of the ice.

And just as importantly, he's now one of Abbotsford's 'go-to' guys on the PK--which is what he'll need for third-fourth line duty in Vancouver.

Depending on what the Canucks do on the trade front, or if injuries hit, he's an automatic call-up.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Hes one of our more interesting prospects IMO.

He was a below average skater, who has turned into a good skater. It's NHL caliber IMO. He was solid defensively last season, but his offense has found another gear this season.

He could definetly become a middle 6 player in the NHL, and he will IMO. He has surpassed Raty as a prospect honestly.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I know this shouldn’t influence whether or not he makes the lineup but how good a story would it be if a local kid from Surrey made the team. A feel good story for sure

Yeah, honestly it'd be absolutely incredible if the kid could come up undrafted and cement himself on the team's roster for a bunch of years. Hell, even if he just tops out as a high-end one-way deal AHLer in Abbotsford for half a decade, that'd still be a great story.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I wonder why he did not get drafted. Slow skating speed?

Just a late bloomer. In his initial draft year he scored 18 points and was probably around 5’11 160. Looked like nothing special and a player headed to CIS hockey until he absolutely blew up and led the WHL in scoring in his overage year.

Wasn’t a great skater either but it wasn’t preventing him from being drafted – he wasn’t good enough in any way at that point.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I admittedly haven’t watched a lot of this player but am curious if there’s a chance for him to play some decent minutes in. NHL games this season. Seems to be putting up some good numbers and from what little I’ve seen he seems to have NHL wheels and sees the ice pretty well. Is he gritty? Good forechecker? Can he kill penalties? Strictly a winger or can he realistically play the middle?

1. He's not Matt Cooke or anything but he's a bit of an agitator, gets involved in scrums, throws a few hits although he's pretty skinny and is hardly intimidating. But has some jam and definitely not soft.

2. He's the best forechecker in Abbotsford and will probably be instantly above-average in the NHL in that regard. Big motor, takes smart lines, turns over lots of pucks. Has some Datsyuk qualities in the AHL in terms of sneaky puck stripping but that's obviously a long way from doing that consistently in the NHL. But it's his motor and his play off the puck that makes him a legitimate NHL prospect - lots of smallish guys can score in the AHL but not many play a 200-foot game the way Bains does.

3. Has played on the top PK unit in Abbotsford basically since the start of last season.

4. He's a winger and has played pretty exclusively on the wing both in the WHL and AHL.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
1. He's not Matt Cooke or anything but he's a bit of an agitator, gets involved in scrums, throws a few hits although he's pretty skinny and is hardly intimidating. But has some jam and definitely not soft.

2. He's the best forechecker in Abbotsford and will probably be instantly above-average in the NHL in that regard. Big motor, takes smart lines, turns over lots of pucks. Has some Datsyuk qualities in the AHL in terms of sneaky puck stripping but that's obviously a long way from doing that consistently in the NHL. But it's his motor and his play off the puck that makes him a legitimate NHL prospect - lots of smallish guys can score in the AHL but not many play a 200-foot game the way Bains does.

3. Has played on the top PK unit in Abbotsford basically since the start of last season.

4. He's a winger and has played pretty exclusively on the wing both in the WHL and AHL.
If that's the case that he is a good forechecker, then I can see him getting called up and playing quite a few games. Seems like Tocchet loves his forechecking/distruping guys. Probably why Joshua is still in the linup because say what you will about him. He does forecheck hard.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I know this shouldn’t influence whether or not he makes the lineup but how good a story would it be if a local kid from Surrey made the team. A feel good story for sure
I guarantee you his jersey sales would be through the roof. I really hope this kid succeeds would be huge deal for Canucks getting a free asset make it to the show. Reading about how his skating has greatly improved and he's a solid PK option that can score dream scenario would be him stepping into 3C role for us.

Edit, my bad thought he was a centre guess he's a winger.

Reactions: DFAC

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If that's the case that he is a good forechecker, then I can see him getting called up and playing quite a few games. Seems like Tocchet loves his forechecking/distruping guys. Probably why Joshua is still in the linup because say what you will about him. He does forecheck hard.

He's going to be a really good NHL forechecker.

Right now he has some puck management stuff he's working through.

He went to Abbotsford last year as a big-time WHL scorer and they really simplified his game, got him skating in straight lines, making simpler plays, hounding the puck. Played mainly bottom-6 minutes most of the year.

Toward the end of last year and into this year, he's getting a lot more offensive responsibility and is obviously blowing up as one of the AHL's leading scorers. And he's starting to bring some higher-risk plays back into this game to create offense which is great but it's leading to a bit of slop and some turnovers that weren't there before. And you're allowed to make those sorts of plays if you're Pettersson or Kuzmenko but not if you're Arshdeep Bains playing on the 3rd line.

He's going to have to find a balance between generating offense and being a safe middle-6 winger a coach can trust and he isn't *quite* there yet. He seems like a really smart guy and he's been continually making adjustments over the last 13 months, so I don't have much doubt that he will sort it out, though.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
He's going to be a really good NHL forechecker.

Right now he has some puck management stuff he's working through.

He went to Abbotsford last year as a big-time WHL scorer and they really simplified his game, got him skating in straight lines, making simpler plays, hounding the puck. Played mainly bottom-6 minutes most of the year.

Toward the end of last year and into this year, he's getting a lot more offensive responsibility and is obviously blowing up as one of the AHL's leading scorers. And he's starting to bring some higher-risk plays back into this game to create offense which is great but it's leading to a bit of slop and some turnovers that weren't there before. And you're allowed to make those sorts of plays if you're Pettersson or Kuzmenko but not if you're Arshdeep Bains playing on the 3rd line.

He's going to have to find a balance between generating offense and being a safe middle-6 winger a coach can trust and he isn't *quite* there yet. He seems like a really smart guy and he's been continually making adjustments over the last 13 months, so I don't have much doubt that he will sort it out, though.
This might sound like a strange comparison but watching Bains in training camp/pre-season I was reminded a little bit of when I watched Podkolzin in WJCs.

Not in terms of speed or body type of course, but in the sense of winning battles and then having the hockey sense to always place the puck in a slightly better place than they received it while using their body or timing to take at least one opponent out of the play.

So like win a battle, draw pressure, and then put it into a spot for a skill guy to skate onto it.

Now obviously there are many ways in which they bear no resemblance, but I see them both as probably being really good facilitators for high-skill guys who need space to work in.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Keep Bains in the AHL for majority of the season , let him develop , obviously his start is incredible but I would rather keep him in the AHL for majority of the AHL season and bring him up in the New Year . It’s not about how quickly you get into the NHL it’s about how your developed so let’s let him continue his AHL dominance and then bring him up in the 2nd half of this season.

There is no room on the Canucks right now as Hoglander playing 10-12 minutes a night is proof

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad