Arsenal game pulled from China broadcast schedule after player speaks out

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall. Looking at the tightrope Priemere League teams endure to work in China. Many teams have Chinese ownership; league and most teams have Chinese sponsors. Also broadcast deals in country, and a few neutral site games in country. Excluding broadcasts, not a lot of income from China, yet.

You have to learn the values and mindset to succeed.

Also looks at China's push for upcoming 2021 Chinese communist party Centennial and country's founding Centennial in 2049.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The league or the owners aren't going to do anything about it because they don't want to lose the money that is on the table, but overall it's also not an NBA-like situation because that income is not as crucial to the success of the Premier League.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
The league or the owners aren't going to do anything about it because they don't want to lose the money that is on the table, but overall it's also not an NBA-like situation because that income is not as crucial to the success of the Premier League.
Considering Premier League has to compete with la Liga, Serie A, Bundelisga and Ligue 1, I would say the Chinese money is even more vital.

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Considering Premier League has to compete with la Liga, Serie A, Bundelisga and Ligue 1, I would say the Chinese money is even more vital.

Exactly, the Premier League has worked hard as well as several of the bigger clubs to establish it's brand in China. I doubt they want all of that investment to be ruined by a fading star player's opinion on the communist nation. The EPL likes to see itself as the biggest and best national club football league in the world and exposure in the United States, China, and other large Asian markets is crucial to their claim of being the best league.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

No one is going to watch Lazio or Lyon instead of Arsenal. Those leagues have 0-2 team brands that can somehow compete with the Premier League thanks to CL exposure, that's all. And it's not going to change anytime soon.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
obviously we can not get political here but this is an example of why when we have discussions about NHL in China, I point out as someone who has been to China--they are very sensitive when they get criticised by people and politicians and they react. I maybe back in China for the month of March and I have been warned about what I post on public forums. They do read what is posted

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB

Anything that those leagues have of any value is out of the reach of Chinese ownership. Even what they have in the EPL is rather low value and not stable (Southhampton is constantly on the cliff on relegation while Wolves has never been a long-term presence). Chinese owners can't get into the German league.

As for TV rights, they already have a presence in China and CCTV5 is the only national sports broadcast outlet of note. The banning of one team won't factor in the long-term, especially as supporters have begun to question the increasing Chinese involvement.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Reminds me of USSR photo of STalin with Yagoda, where they took Yagoda out of the picture later, when he was executed.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Reminds me of USSR photo of STalin with Yagoda, where they took Yagoda out of the picture later, when he was executed.

Reminds me Syria, when American press called those "moderates" islamic terrorists, and when Russian army entered the country, islamic terrorists became moderates again...

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Reminds me Syria, when American press called those "moderates" islamic terrorists, and when Russian army entered the country, islamic terrorists became moderates again...

Whataboutism 1.0

Dude, are you defending the honor of Stalin and NKVD here? Seems like you spend too much time arguing about Russia and politics on international boards.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Whataboutism 1.0

Dude, are you defending the honor of Stalin and NKVD here? Seems like you spend too much time arguing about Russia and politics on international boards.

Not at all, you won't find a person, that hates Stalin as much, as myself. I just found a more proper analogy. Ozil spoke about about poor Chinese muslims, after all, but were they that poor?

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Not at all, you won't find a person, that hates Stalin as much, as myself. I just found a more proper analogy. Ozil spoke about about poor Chinese muslims, after all, but were they that poor?

Dude, the fact that the West is bad does not mean that China is good.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Dude, the fact that the West is bad does not mean that China is good.

Absolutely agree, but it's about a certain problem... I mean, I won't be surprised, if Ozil one day starts to talk about "oppressed Crimean tatars", but he's free to come to Crimea and see, whether they are oppressed or not. The same can be said about Chinese Uighurs...

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Absolutely agree, but it's about a certain problem... I mean, I won't be surprised, if Ozil one day starts to talk about "oppressed Crimean tatars", but he's free to come to Crimea and see, whether they are oppressed or not. The same can be said about Chinese Uighurs...
Ozil is a biased loudmouth, but China is in fact trying to undermine Uyghurs aswell as Tibetians.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad