Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Always thought we should've kept Pearson, he was never a problem imo
WYl41sE.png

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I take a perverse pleasure in seeing Reaves be a contributor on a team that's doing well in the playoffs after seeing how Sullivan misused him here and we heard cries of "he's the type of player Cup contenders can't have on the roster".

Maybe if Sullivan didn't expect every single player to play a specific way or he'd be in the dog house, we wouldn't be in the situation we're in. Sullivan's rigidity is causing us to get rid of otherwise useful players just because they happen to play a style that's different than Sullivan's "fast, fast, fast tiny winger fast" approach.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I take a perverse pleasure in seeing Reaves be a contributor on a team that's doing well in the playoffs after seeing how Sullivan misused him here and we heard cries of "he's the type of player Cup contenders can't have on the roster".

Maybe if Sullivan didn't expect every single player to play a specific way or he'd be in the dog house, we wouldn't be in the situation we're in. Sullivan's rigidity is causing us to get rid of otherwise useful players just because they happen to play a style that's different than Sullivan's "fast, fast, fast tiny winger fast" approach.

Reaves sucks though. You're being blinded by the announcers giving him praise and a young team falling into his BS. That shit never and will never fly in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: ncm7772

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Reaves sucks though. You're being blinded by the announcers giving him praise and a young team falling into his BS. That shit never and will never fly in Pittsburgh.

I mean, I'm watching the Vegas games? He's effective at what he does. I get that with the whole analytics craze, some folks think guys like ZAR do more for a team than Reaves, but I still think there's an element Reaves brings (and no, not fighting) that doesn't show up in the analytics that a guy like ZAR or any number of vanilla 4th liners don't.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I mean, I'm watching the Vegas games? He's effective at what he does. I get that with the whole analytics craze, some folks think guys like ZAR do more for a team than Reaves, but I still think there's an element Reaves brings (and no, not fighting) that doesn't show up in the analytics that a guy like ZAR or any number of vanilla 4th liners don't.

Vegas is outscoring the other team by 5 because of their top three lines. It ain't because Reaves is acting like a dumbass.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Vegas is outscoring the other team by 5 because of their top three lines. It ain't because Reaves is acting like a dumbass.

Don't recall saying he was the reason they're winning? I said he's good enough to be a contributor to a team that's doing well and not be this hindrance like people made him out to be where he's directly responsible for a good team being dragged down because of his 8-10 minutes per game.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Don't recall saying he was the reason they're winning? I said he's good enough to be a contributor to a team that's doing well and not be this hindrance like people made him out to be.

He was a hindrance for our style of team. Vegas plays a different game.

Reaves ain't carrying the 4th line.

Also to expound on that point. DeBoer is playing Reaves around the same as Sullivan did here.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He was a hindrance for our style of team. Vegas plays a different game.

Reaves ain't carrying the 4th line.

Also to expound on that point. DeBoer is playing Reaves around the same as Sullivan did here.

Maybe the bolded is the problem. Maybe Sullivan should adapt to the times when his "style" isn't resulting in success. Vegas plays just as fast as the Pens, just as tenacious. So it's not like Reaves is on a team full of plodding, Corey Perry/Milan Lucic-esque skaters. So maybe Sullivan should adjust whatever the f*** it is he's trying to get us to play when it stops working two playoffs in a row?

As for playing time, again, never said Reaves should be playing 15 minutes per night. I'm just saying he's showing he's not a hindrance to his team in whatever minutes he gets. I'd certainly have rather had him this year than two of our plugs that dressed regularly in the playoffs.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Maybe the bolded is the problem. Maybe Sullivan should adapt to the times when his "style" isn't resulting in success. Vegas plays just as fast as the Pens, just as tenacious. So it's not like Reaves is on a team full of plodding, Corey Perry/Milan Lucic-esque skaters. So maybe Sullivan should adjust whatever the f*** it is he's trying to get us to play when it stops working two playoffs in a row?

As for playing time, again, never said Reaves should be playing 15 minutes per night. I'm just saying he's showing he's not a hindrance to his team in whatever minutes he gets. I'd certainly have rather had him this year than two of our plugs that dressed regularly in the playoffs.

Tanev and who?

You can't remake a team with Crosby and Malkin. Every year we get people around here wishing for us to play a different style of hockey. Pittsburgh Penguins hockey is offensive stars leading the way. That's the way it has always been. That's the way I hope it will always be. Vegas is a solid team, but they are what is wrong with the game.

Also did anyone ever say Reaves was a hindrance? He's a 4th liner.

Vegas has three of the best two way wingers in the game. Patches, Stone and Smith.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Well, Lehner's gonna have to really shit the bed for Fleury to get the net back if he keeps this up. :laugh:

Which, early days yet, but.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Tanev and who?

You can't remake a team with Crosby and Malkin. Every year we get people around here wishing for us to play a different style of hockey. Pittsburgh Penguins hockey is offensive stars leading the way. That's the way it has always been. That's the way I hope it will always be. Vegas is a solid team, but they are what is wrong with the game.

Our style of play doesn't really resemble the bolded. There's very little "offensive creativity" from this group. Unless Sid or Geno have the puck on their stick, it's a bunch of chip and chase, and take low danger/low percentage shots on net and hope for rebounds.

Also did anyone ever say Reaves was a hindrance? He's a 4th liner.

Yes, that seemed to be the common theme. That with him on the 4th line, we can't roll 4 lines and play "our game", whatever the f*** that is supposed to be at this point.

You can't look at how ZAR or Marleau performed in the playoffs and say that Reaves couldn't have done more than they did or that he would have dragged his lines more than they did.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Our style of play doesn't really resemble the bolded. There's very little "offensive creativity" from this group. Unless Sid or Geno have the puck on their stick, it's a bunch of chip and chase, and take low danger/low percentage shots on net and hope for rebounds.

Yes, that seemed to be the common theme. That with him on the 4th line, we can't roll 4 lines and play "our game", whatever the f*** that is supposed to be at this point.

You can't look at how ZAR or Marleau performed in the playoffs and say that Reaves couldn't have done more than they did or that he would have dragged his lines more than they did.

I look at ZAR, Marleau and Reaves as cut from the same cloth tbh.

Your perception of this team and who they actually are is completely opposite. They were terrible about chip and chase and it led to their downfall. If the Penguins played how some people perceive they do we would've broke Montreal's trap by G2.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
@Honour Over Glory

quoting from the old thread:

Tocchet makes a great assistant, not a great coach. There have been interviews of Sullivan and Tocchet basically saying as much and even the players, about how Tocchet was great at being the go-between.

Go dig them up. It's not my fault you f***ing wankers don't pay attention and then act all moronically surprised at this shit.

Seriously irked.

------------

Some people are really good at not being the #1 but advising the #1. Even mob bosses have a consigliere.

Some people can be really good at their job, but still not be qualified to move up. It's not a slight - it's just how things work...

A good defender that has a knack for scoring goals doesnt mean he can be promoted to forward.... I donno... there's a bunch of examples.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Put me in the camp that Reaves could have had a much better stint in PIT

He was miscast. Even if you think he isn't that good. He was miscast.
All Reaves does in VGK is crash the crease and wreak havoc on the forecheck. He did it well in St.Louis and now in VGK.

But by some miracle, was not used properly in Pittsburgh even though he brought a lot of levity to the dressing room. He definitely was misused and miscast. The same way those morons did Oleksiak too.

Reactions: EightyOne

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
All Reaves does in VGK is crash the crease and wreak havoc on the forecheck. He did it well in St.Louis and now in VGK.

But by some miracle, was not used properly in Pittsburgh even though he brought a lot of levity to the dressing room. He definitely was misused and miscast. The same way those morons did Oleksiak too.

Well to be fair the Penguins are ardently against crashing the crease these days. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad