Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
This move doesn't relieve any cap hit for LA correct? If nobody picks him up that is.

Correct, I believe that was patched last CBA. I'm sure there will be a bunch of articles out today with more details but I also believe the retirement/recapture for LA with early retirement would also be pretty brutal.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
If he gets by us and Edmonton I could see everyone else passing on him up until Calgary.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
His skating was never good, and it's the hinderance in his game today... i dont think he has a 50 pt future. But that doesn't mean I can't stomach a 35 pt 3rd line center who brings work ethic and some rings to the locker room and is over paid by 2 million in cap space for 5 more years.

at the same time tho, at some point in the next 3-4 years we can find our own guy that brings just as much to the table as he does, for a cheaper cap hit. I know thats not a huge factor right now, but if Richards was a free agent I wouldn't be happy signing him to that deal, and therefore don't really see a point in claiming him.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Please pass on Richards. Now isn't the time, and there will be lateral or better options in the summer.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
I think you gotta take him now.

His impact to the tank won't be much. And come deadline day when vets like Mitchell, Stewart and Stafford are gone. Richards being around softens the blow.

Adding winners like Richards is a positive move for this team going forward.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If a team that the Sabres might be modeling their rebuild after are waiving a guy, should the Sabres claim him?

ArsenioHall.jpg

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
The reasons the Kings waived him is his albatross of a contract and his lack of work ethic. His doesn't put the time in during the offseason to prepare himself for the season. Not the type of leader the Sabres need for the young guys. He seems broken down now, two years from now would be a nightmare with his contract still hanging around.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think I pass for right now... ensure the tank... and hope no one claims him.

LA is putting him on waivers because no one is willing to take on the full contract (if someone was, a trade would've been made)

Knowing that no one is willing to eat the whole contract right now, I wonder if GMTM could pass word that he'll take the entire contract in the offseason.

This is where I'm at. Pass on him for now, but let LA know that we're perfectly willing to eat the whole contract in the offseason.

He'd be a very nice choice to insulate the kids at center and has proven he can play wing just fine.

Heck, even offer LA the carrot of something marginal in return for him in the offseason.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
This is where I'm at. Pass on him for now, but let LA know that we're perfectly willing to eat the whole contract in the offseason.

He'd be a very nice choice to insulate the kids at center and has proven he can play wing just fine.

Heck, even offer LA the carrot of something marginal in return for him in the offseason.
If he's free now, I'm not paying anything for him in the off season. Pointless. If we pass on him now then forget about him all together.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
If he's free now, I'm not paying anything for him in the off season. Pointless. If we pass on him now then forget about him all together.

It would be akin to the Boychuk-Tallinder trade. Trading Riley frickin Boychuk didn't hurt us in any way

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto

This is my feeling too.

It's not worth trading for the guy when he's free now. Even if it is a nothing prospect and a pick.

It's not like we have a contract on our team that we desperately want off our books ,and working a trade with LA is beneficial to us.

If we think he's a good player to have on the roster, we should take him. Our tank will be fine with or without him. Especially when Mitchell, Stafford and Stewart are gone in about a month or less.

I don't get the idea of waiting and hoping to get him next season. If we want him on the team for 15-16, let's get him now.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
The reasons the Kings waived him is his albatross of a contract and his lack of work ethic. His doesn't put the time in during the offseason to prepare himself for the season. Not the type of leader the Sabres need for the young guys. He seems broken down now, two years from now would be a nightmare with his contract still hanging around.
A big reason you target a guy like Richards, IMO, is because of his leadership. But if that was always overstated, or he's lost it, then forget it. I agree with the quoted post. Pass.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
yea... i would totally be on board with picking him up , i'm not even worried about the remaining 5 years at 5.75, i really don't think it would be an issue.

my only concern... is the tank. Richards would at least stabilize a huge hole in the roster.

They've taken on so much water, I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to turn things around.

But that said, I'd be down with making a claim. I am curious what the particulars are.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
at the same time tho, at some point in the next 3-4 years we can find our own guy that brings just as much to the table as he does, for a cheaper cap hit. I know thats not a huge factor right now, but if Richards was a free agent I wouldn't be happy signing him to that deal, and therefore don't really see a point in claiming him.

theoretically, yes... but we've been looking for that player for 10 years :dunno:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
This move doesn't relieve any cap hit for LA correct? If nobody picks him up that is.

it relieves something around 900k i believe.

someone else can look it up. they patched the "bury a cap hit" rangers move... but it's something like "Vet minimum + 150k" can be relived by burying someone.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@mayorNHL: From what I've gathered, #LAKings were working on multiple deals to trade Richards over the weekend. Final one fell through late last night.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
it relieves something around 900k i believe.

someone else can look it up. they patched the "bury a cap hit" rangers move... but it's something like "Vet minimum + 150k" can be relived by burying someone.

Yes, if they assign him to the minors (which is not necessarily a given if he clears waivers), then the Kings get a prorated $925k in cap relief.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@TSNBobMcKenzie: If Richards clears, expectation is he'll be assigned to Manchester (AHL). LA obviously hopes waivers may flush out more trade options.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: TOR/CGY believed to be teams talking recently to LA about Richards trade. Guessing Leafs/Flames were trying to move their bad contracts.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Really doubt anyone will claim him. Sounds like they couldn't hammer out a trade. I imagine they'll eventually find a partner to trade. I wonder if they were trying to open up some cap space for Voyonov's replacement. Lombardi loves to make his trades a few weeks before the deadline.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
trying to open up some cap space for Voyonov's replacement.

I think this is what they are trying to do. They need help on D for this playoff run and then they need the cap space in the future to sign Kopitar.

I think Richards will clear and then TM will trade Colin Jacobs for him closer to the deadline. Kinda how Derek Roy cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad