Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
Man, the Kings really put the nail into that coffin. Any notions of letting that room organically turn over were trashed when they lost that series.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If Thornton got the captaincy again...lol
That would just be so awkward.
"Hey, Joe, here ya go...don't suck so much this time, ok?" :laugh:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@PollakOnSharks: McLellan says he had talked with Thornton about "clean slate" plan for #SJSharks captaincy; reached Thornton and he says otherwise.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
At this rate, I'd be surprised if he's there by season's end. You all but say "I can't win with these guys (Marleau and Thornton)," (and that weak press release doesn't change anything) and then this? That ship could go sideways in a hurry this season. I wouldn't blame him if makes a public trade demand and then limits his destination to one or two teams to kill San Jose's leverage.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@fearthefin: Sharks have stripped Thornton of the C and added facepunchers for #character. When they don't win the Cup this year, what will people blame?

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@TSNHockey

Ottawa Senators have signed Craig Anderson to a 3 year deal #TSN #NHL

@SunGarrioch

Anderson gets 4.75 M for first two years of deal and 3.1 M in final year. His agent had face-to-face with #Sens last week.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
@TSNHockey

Ottawa Senators have signed Craig Anderson to a 3 year deal #TSN #NHL

@SunGarrioch

Anderson gets 4.75 M for first two years of deal and 3.1 M in final year. His agent had face-to-face with #Sens last week.

Not a fan of that deal. He just turned 33 and has one year left on his contract, so he'll be 34, 35, and 36 through the extension. He's just not good enough of a goalie to want to lock in for 4 more years at that age. He's never gonna play like he did for 24 games in '12-'13.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
What is Ottawa doing? With an owner who counts every penny, giving $4.75m for three years to a goaltender who is arguably your second best netminder right now isn't very intelligent, IMO. I thought it was time for them to turn over the reins to Lehner this season and then let Anderson walk next summer. Apparently, Ottawa has other ideas.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
What is Ottawa doing? With an owner who counts every penny, giving $4.75m for three years to a goaltender who is arguably your second best netminder right now isn't very intelligent, IMO. I thought it was time for them to turn over the reins to Lehner this season and then let Anderson walk next summer. Apparently, Ottawa has other ideas.

If the Sens wanna handicap themselves, I'm not complaining :laugh:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
From the Sabres alumni golf outing

Bv6B4IHIIAEu9h4.jpg

Pretty sure we need to photoshop a tuna can somewhere.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Mike Callahan, Ryan's dad, was one of the speakers (along with Chaddddddd) at the coaches kick off meeting for our hockey association last night.

He said that Ryan asked him if he should sign with the Sabres.

His dad told him that he needed to do what was right for himself and his family.

Then he joked about how he could retire to Tampa Bay.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/26/will-johansen-be-the-latest-overhardt-holdout/

From the Dispatch:

“[Johansen] is a very unique, top-line player in the NHL,†Overhardt said. “There’s a clear market for a player of this caliber; it’s a small market, but he’s one of them. There are several teams that covet his size, his skill and his continued upside.â€

Asked if Johansen would have “a hard time†sitting out part of training camp, Overhardt was abrupt:

“Nope,†he said. “If he’s not in camp, the pressure slips to the other side.â€

OK then....

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

i'm sure it's very puzzling for you... but Ottawa is acknowledging that Robin Lehner is nothing special, and that having an affordable veteran goalie, is preferred to handing the reigns off to a headcase... (preferrably a veteran, and a youngster), is the ideal situation.

They don't believe Lehner can handle a heavy workload, as demonstrated by his collapse last year. He's a mentally fragile goalie. He'll have the "upside" tagged to him for awhile, but what we've seen is that he's likely a split goaltender at best.

Meanwhile, Anderson is a proven/capable NHL goaltender, that's really no different than Ryan Miller aside from name recognition... Anderson is younger, and they got him for almost 2 million less in cap space...

back in January...

I doubt it plays out this way. I expect Lehner to be one of the top goaltenders in the league in the coming years. He's going to be in Ottawa awhile.

That's back when you thought Lehner would be "getting the big bucks"... which turned out to be a 3 yrs / 2.225 contract...

Lehner got the typical "prove it" contract, not the "your the future of the franchise in goal" contract that you expected.

The signing of Anderson means that Senators don't believe Lehner will prove to be more than a split starter at best.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
i'm sure it's very puzzling for you... but Ottawa is acknowledging that Robin Lehner is nothing special, and that having an affordable veteran goalie, is preferred to handing the reigns off to a headcase... (preferrably a veteran, and a youngster), is the ideal situation.

They don't believe Lehner can handle a heavy workload, as demonstrated by his collapse last year. He's a mentally fragile goalie. He'll have the "upside" tagged to him for awhile, but what we've seen is that he's likely a split goaltender at best.

Meanwhile, Anderson is a proven/capable NHL goaltender, that's really no different than Ryan Miller aside from name recognition... Anderson is younger, and they got him for almost 2 million less in cap space...

back in January...

That's back when you thought Lehner would be "getting the big bucks"... which turned out to be a 3 yrs / 2.225 contract...

Lehner got the typical "prove it" contract, not the "your the future of the franchise in goal" contract that you expected.

The signing of Anderson means that Senators don't believe Lehner will prove to be more than a split starter at best.

I don't disagree on the Lehner assessment but saying Anderson is on par will Miller doesn't really match their bodies of work. Anderson hasn't really proven he can put up good numbers while carrying a starters load. Miller has proven he can play 60+ games and remain consistent. Anderson has had good partial seasons, not any good full seasons.

Anderson is more comparable to Brian Eliot than Miller IMHO....and Elliot signed for 3 years/2.5 per....and is 4 years younger.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Wait, wait, wait Mr. You-Never-Pay-For-Goaltending-Because-They're-All-Pretty-Much-The-Same, this appears to be a seismic shift in your philosophy. You're now advocating for a $7m allocation to the goaltending position? For a bean-counting organization, no less!

I'll take that bet. He's better than Anderson. Right now. This is a dumb move by Ottawa. Period. They could've ridden out this year with an Anderson/Lehner split, and then addressed this situation next summer if they still had qualms about Lehner. Instead, they locked themselves into what may be an untradeable contract before it even kicks in.

Anderson is proven and capable starting vet, yet Lehner is the untrustworthy headcase.

What's that? Lehner has better numbers over the last three years? Oh. Not bad for a headcase.

Speaking of goaltending headcases, I don't ever think that Rask guy is going to make it. Here's a clue, since you don't seem to have one when it comes to goaltending, most of them are headcases.

I'm pretty sure that was in the context of Tim Murray's answer to a question re: whether he believed in paying goaltenders when the WGR guys cited Ottawa, and he referenced Lehner as they guy who will eventually get paid like one. I'd love the link to that thread to establish context, but I doubt you'll provide it.

I'm sure that's precisely what it means. That's a quintessentially Jame all-or-nothing rationale--it could never be something in the middle of "he's a split goaltender" and "he's going to be the starter in 2015-16." I'm sure the Senators believe that the 23 year-old goaltender they just invested nearly $7m in when he had no contract leverage is just a "split goaltender." I bet they don't believe--wrong or not--that they're breaking him in slowly and will give him the reins in 2-3 years at an age when guys like Rask and Bernier took the next step of their careers.

It's definitely because they just believe he's a split starter, at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad