Around the NHL XXXVI - Final Countdown: 2018 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Good job kid, social media is beyone evil. You are better off!

hfboards%20fish.svg

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Columbus are imploding down the stretch here.

Jarmo & Torts better update their CVs...
As much as I like Jarmo, his decision to push all his chips in with that group and coach was highly questionable. He would deserve to get canned if they miss.

Also freaking Sorenson has 15 goals now.

Reactions: DrEasy

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
As much as I like Jarmo, his decision to push all his chips in with that group and coach was highly questionable. He would deserve to get canned if they miss.

Also freaking Sorenson has 15 goals now.

It may have been dictated by ownership. Not that he needed to trade for specific players, but that they wanted him to get the team over the hump at all costs.

The smart move would have been to deal Panarin+Bob for futures. It reminds me a bit of the Islanders keeping JT in that has they dealt him at the deadline, they probably would have gotten enough picks/prospects to heavily subsidize acquiring a player with term later on.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Columbus has never won a series and is about to lose their best W and their starting goalie. They had to go all-in. They need to give the fans something.

I think the problem is that they added too many players too quickly. A cautionary tale about waiting too long to make a big push: if you are going to trade for 2 top 6 players and a dman, don't do it all at once as crunch time begins.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
If you're Matt Duchene and you're having a tough time transitioning to Columbus and the team isn't having success, does that make you more or less likely to consider signing back in Ottawa where things were going pretty well for you?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If you're Matt Duchene and you're having a tough time transitioning to Columbus and the team isn't having success, does that make you more or less likely to consider signing back in Ottawa where things were going pretty well for you?
Well will Ottaea offer him 1. The best contract or 2. The best chance of winning a Stanley cup?

Probably not.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

Things were going well, but it's now a completely different team than when Duchene was here only just a few weeks ago.

1) Different coach
2) Different roster - Stone and Dzingel are both gone. Ceci, Pageau, Anderson, are all UFAs at the end of next season. That's a huge turnover in terms of significant top players.

If he wanted to stay here, he would have signed. It's as simple as that. Why would he put himself in a position to get a less lucrative deal here by virtue of losing that 8th year? He clearly either wasn't on board with the plan, or he wanted a specific amount of signing bonuses/trade protection, knew he was never going to get it here, so his people instead focused contract talks on "the rebuild" rather than money, so that Duchene wouldn't seem greedy on his way out. (I don't think players are greedy for looking out for their own interests, but most hockey fans see it that way when players leave over money)

Neither of those things have changed based on how Columbus is doing. Either he's still not sold on our rebuild, or we still can't give him a Tavares style contract structure.

I'll be shocked if he signs here. I could see him talking with Ottawa out of respect leading up to July 1st, but I think a lot of the Duchene stuff was calculated PR from both sides.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Its a gamble bringing in players at the TDL .. It can take time to adjust, for the player, coach, line mates. Duchene will try for the best chance to win 1st; and he will get a good contract that has at least a couple years of heavy bonuses. I really think winning is what will drive his decision.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Columbus missing the playoffs does make their pick this year better, but it also means Duchene probably won't resign.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Columbus missing the playoffs does make their pick this year better, but it also means Duchene probably won't resign.

The thing is, it won't make their pick that much better. The way the standings are, there is a major gap between CBJ and the next tier if nob-playoff teams.

If they miss, it's almost certainly going to be the top non playoff pick (15?) instead of being 18 or 19.

So it's something, but it's not enough to make up for Duchene not re-signing. While I don't think he is a lock to stay in CBJ, if they miss the playoffs I can't imagine he re-signs at all .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad