Around the NHL XXXVI - Final Countdown: 2018 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
That one has worked out really well, but frankly we got lucky that Gaborik has LTIRetired. If Gaborik were still playing today, that trade would be a lateral move. I guess it's possible we knew he was going to LTIRetire, or we bet on it happening, but I'm not sure that's a fair assumption.

We aren't privy to the players medicals, but teams are. It's very possible the Sens knew well he was a ticking time bomb

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We aren't privy to the players medicals, but teams are. It's very possible the Sens knew well he was a ticking time bomb

I suppose, but if he was a ticking time bomb, why would LA move him to get a equally terrible contract in Phaneuf?

I'm sure they had it in the back of their minds that he could get hurt, but I still think they got very lucky. Even a guy that is a ticking time bomb could be healthy enough to play half a season and negate insurance paying a dime.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Are we also not a 1st class organization Stone?

Reactions: Sun God Nika

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I suppose, but if he was a ticking time bomb, why would LA move him to get a equally terrible contract in Phaneuf?

I'm sure they had it in the back of their minds that he could get hurt, but I still think they got very lucky. Even a guy that is a ticking time bomb could be healthy enough to play half a season and negate insurance paying a dime.

I genuinely believe LA thought they were improving their D with Phaneuf . Otherwise why else make the deal ?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

LTIR isn't the exact same as free cap space. It can still handicap teams since they only get back the amount they exceed the cap by at the time the put the contract on LTIR.

Phaneuf was still perceived as a top 4 D at the time coming off of that run we had. The issues with us moving Phaneuf were always his NTC and his cap hit restricting the market.

If I am recalling correctly, LAK were in on Phaneuf dating back to when Toronto originally shopped him, so they liked the player. So I think it was probably a situation where they saw a chance to acquire a #4 defender they liked for essentially salary/cap considerations and no real assets beyond that. Almost like they signed Phaneuf as a UFA. It's hard to quantify what their actual added cap obligation is with Phaneuf because currently they wouldn't get back the entirety of Gaborik's contract via LTIR since they aren't spending to the ceiling, so while Phaneuf has a 5.25M cap hit for them this year, in practical terms because they dumped Gaborik it's probably closer to 3 or 4 something depending on where their cap wise on day 1 of the season.

It's crazy to think that two guys playing a combined 43 minutes for us during 16-17 when we were an alright team who went on a great run are now basically done only two years later.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Columbus is going to miss the playoffs. Philly charging up right behind them and they have to knock off Pittsburgh or Montreal who are holding down wildcard spots to get in.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Can someone sum up who we want to win/lose for sens to get better?
i.e. San Jose going into Finals and signing Karlsson adds another 1st round pick for us.
Columbus? We want Duchene to re-sign (+1st rounder) and Jackets miss the playoffs (higher pick this year)? Ideal if they win the lottery in 2019 and 2020 so we get a top-3 pick in 2020.
Any other team?

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Anyone hear or see that video from Islanders fans to Tavares? Perhaps it’s the Sens fan in me that has me feeling no sympathy - given what we’ve been through with no end in sight - but the video was so annoying I now find myself wanting Tavares to score 4 tonight. Congratulations, universe, you win.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
The boos on Tavares' first shift back in NYI are the loudest I've ever heard (unless they've pumped up the crowd noise on the broadcast)
And I think they were chanting "***hole" :laugh:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The boos on Tavares' first shift back in NYI are the loudest I've ever heard (unless they've pumped up the crowd noise on the broadcast)
And I think they were chanting "***hole" :laugh:

Good stuff, I have no idea why some people were upset Duchene got a few boos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad