NHL Around the NHL XXI - UPDATE 7/1 - Toronto and Edmonton chosen as hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
So let me try and grasp this as I have read it twice and I’m still not sure if I get it.

The Bruins would have to play the top 3 teams in the conference thus potentially losing the one seed and home ice thought out which they’ve earned.

If they still keep the one seed they would have to play the highest seed of the “buy in tournament” or whatever it is? Am I misunderstanding this?

If this is that case it’s almost like the Game of Thrones finale. You knew it was going to suck but you were floored at how bad it truly was. I knew this plan was going to suck, but yet here I am floored at how bad it truly is.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
So let me try and grasp this as I have read it twice and I’m still not sure if I get it.

The Bruins would have to play the top 3 teams in the conference thus potentially losing the one seed and home ice thought out which they’ve earned.

If they still keep the one seed they would have to play the highest seed of the “buy in tournament” or whatever it is? Am I misunderstanding this?

If this is that case it’s almost like the Game of Thrones finale. You knew it was going to suck but you were floored at how bad it truly was. I knew this plan was going to suck, but yet here I am floored at how bad it truly is.

It's the NHL. Of course they'll get it wrong.

Thankfully we have rules about the jersey tuck and helmets coming off.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

eastern-conference-24-team-layout.jpg

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Ok so that’s what I’m trying to understand. Friedman’s tweet suggested the top 4 would play each other to get up for speed but would allow for position jockeying. Doesn’t that suggest the Bruins could lose the one seed?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Pierre McGuire on OMF: 'There are major issues' still to figure out before NHL returns

But appearing on Ordway, Merloni and Fauria Thursday afternoon, NBC analyst Pierre McGuire pumped the brakes and said it's still a matter of "if" the NHL returns this season and not just "when."

"If we come back and play," McGuire said. "I know everybody’s thinking we’re definitely coming back to play, but there are issues. There are major issues. This thing is so fluid right now. I’ll use the Canadian border as an example. Everyone says, ‘Well they’ll make a little leeway for the players to cross the border and get in for the six or seven Canadian teams that would be in.’ Well here’s the problem: Once they cross the border, once the players get in, they’re going to have to self-quarantine for 14 days. That’s another 14 days off the calendar. That’s the reality of it. So this is far from being a done deal I believe."

McGuire also pointed out that while coaches and players on a top team like the Bruins definitely want a chance to play this postseason, there may not be nearly as much urgency around some other teams.

"I think there’s a lot of players that are kind of in summer mode right now, because this is a long time to be away from the rink," he said. "But you’ve also got a good percentage of players that actually really do want to play, because they want to finish off a season that they’ve had some really good results. Whether that’s St. Louis, who wants to defends, or Boston, who has shown unbelievable tenacity this season. Maybe Tampa, who got humiliated last year in the first round of the playoffs by Columbus. Maybe Washington, who thinks that they’re starting to peak at the right time. So there are a lot of teams that I think would like to keep playing, but I think most players are probably in summer mode right now."

Still, McGuire said that when push comes to shove, he thinks the league and ownership are going to do everything they can to salvage these playoffs.

"There’s such an appetite from ownership and from the people in the league to get this done that I think they’re going to try to find any way possible to get it done so that it does have significant consequence in a positive way for the league and for the fans that care about the league," McGuire said.

McGuire also clarified one part of the reported playoff plan that was initially unclear. At first it seemed like the top four seeds in each conference would simply get a bye before facing the winners of the play-in round for seeds five through 12. But as Thursday went on, the reports shifted to those four teams actually playing a round-robin tournament amongst themselves and then being reseeded one through four based on the results of the tournament.

McGuire said that is also what he's been hearing, and that a straight bye may not even be desirable for those top-four teams.

"I think the reason they play the round-robin is to reseed," he said. "I can tell you from talking to coaches around the league in those positions of being a top-four seed, the thing is, they need to get battle-ready too. Christian, you know, it’s one thing to play an NFL preseason game, but it’s another to go live and in color opening day. For a lot of these teams, let’s just say they’re playing friendly games those first three games, they might not be battle-tested because the other guys just played a five-game series."

Reactions: sooshii

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
So now it appears Bruins would play Tampa, Washinton and Philly in a 3 game round-robin to determine seeding. I am GUESSING Bruins get final line change in all 3 games :dunno:

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm ok with this. No better way to shake off the rust than facing top teams, especially in a non-elimination setting.

And without fans, playing for home ice is essentially playing for last change. With the Bruins' depth (as well as their inability to capitalize with last change last year),that's not a big deal for me.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

That *appears* to be the case.

Why are they going with bubble teams and 24? It's stupid and unfair.

They should go right to 16, and the "seeding" should reflect the standings at the time of stoppage.

I don't know why you would do it any other way. I'd say money, but there won't be any gate dough, and that's mostly how they make it.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

They should go right to 16, and the "seeding" should reflect the standings at the time of stoppage.

I don't know why you would do it any other way. I'd say money, but there won't be any gate dough, and that's mostly how they make it.
The seedings at the time of stoppage would see a disparity in number of games played. Isn't that what they're trying to address?

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Yeah, I don't understand the point of playing to determine seeding. I understand the need for games to get up to speed, and I guess the seeding is the incentive so it's not just "meaningless games" but I still don't like it.

No perfect solution, I guess.

Reactions: GordonHowe

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
So now it appears Bruins would play Tampa, Washinton and Philly in a 3 game round-robin to determine seeding. I am GUESSING Bruins get final line change in all 3 games :dunno:

This again. This might be the stupidest decision in NHL history.

Yes, let the top teams role players look to injury the opposition. Tampa and Washington are teams that know they are in each other's way to the Cup. And they have a number of players who have no issue with injuring others to help their cause.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I'm ok with this. No better way to shake off the rust than facing top teams, especially in a non-elimination setting.

And without fans, playing for home ice is essentially playing for last change. With the Bruins' depth (as well as their inability to capitalize with last change last year),that's not a big deal for me.

I cannot wait to see what Pacquette and Hathaway do at minimum. Two players with nothing to lose as their histories reflect. Let alone the borderline players on those two teams.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
The seedings at the time of stoppage would see a disparity in number of games played. Isn't that what they're trying to address?

I have no idea.

What I'm saying -- rightly or wrongly -- is that allowing *24* teams into the playoffs
is nonsensical and unfair. Do those bubble teams who surely would have missed the playoffs deserve this? No.

And then, hey, have the the top four seeds, or whatever it is, play each other to determine seeding going forward. What kind of bullsh*t is that? You play, almost, an entire, grueling regular season to gain home ice and a favorable matchup, and that's suddenly out the window?

Garbage. And again, if there's any reason for this "plan," doubtless it's money. How, I don't know. Why? I suspect.

Reactions: BMC

member 96824

NHL - Around the NHL XX - NHL looking at playoffs starting on July 1

I’ll add an additional note to my post in the last thread: This all came at a very bad time for the NHL’s TV deal.

Advertising funds have dried up. They’re gone. The largest TV players in sports have seen their cash cows disappear. Disney, NBCUniversal, Fox, hell even Viacom have seen deep impacts. Oh and you know who’s TV rights are up at the same time as the NHL? A little league called the NFL who is continuing to push forward with their negotiations.

Unless a non-traditional player steps in (Google or Amazon), I’m thinking that TV deal is no longer the rosey situation it was 4 months ago. Budget is going to be a huge deal for the companies that the league was depending on for a big check. For that reason, you have to push those big markets I listed that would be sitting on the outside looking in into the playoffs.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins on ice next week? Tentative NHL plan is practice by June, playoffs around July - The Boston Globe

The National Hockey League, forced to close its doors March 12 because of the coronavirus pandemic, inched closer to finalizing a return-to-play plan with its players in recent days, raising hopes that game action could resume around July 1 with the start of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
The plan, being forged between the league and the NHL Players’ Association and subject to modification, currently is aimed at getting players back on the ice for small-group practice sessions as early as late next week or by June 1.
The Bruins, who would hope to set up shop at their Brighton training facility — if permissible under the city’s restrictions — would start back with multiple daily skating sessions, each workout group likely limited to six players and accompanying on-ice coaching staff.

In keeping with a number of reports, the league currently is planning to scrap the remaining 189 games on the regular-season schedule and enter directly into the postseason with a playoff pool expanded from 16 to 24 teams, 12 from each conference.
The seven teams to miss the cut, based on points percentage, would be Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Detroit, Ottawa, New Jersey, and Buffalo.
The Bruins, who owned the league’s best record (44-14-12) when play was suspended 71 days ago, would be one of eight teams (four per conference) with a bye when the postseason begins with eight teams in each conference engaging in a play-in round.

Once into what amounts to the Round of 16, it is expected all series will be best-of-seven, with the Cup Final ending in early September, possibly on Labor Day (Sept. 7). Last year, the Bruins and Blues played Game 7 of the Final at the Garden June 12.
A key factor to all this: COVID-19 testing. It ultimately will dictate whether the timeline remains on course, or whether it must be amended or even scuttled.
“One hundred percent,” said Neely. “And again, the league will never put themselves in front of any others that need [testing], as far as front-line workers and whatnot. But testing is going to be key. Just like all the other sports; they’re going to want to know who’s positive or not.”

On Tuesday, Canada and the US agreed to keep their borders closed for nonessential crossings until June 21, which could serve as an impediment to players seeking to get to their home cities for workouts and training camps. However, given that governmental leaders in both countries have expressed great interest in pro sports restarting, it’s a good bet the ban would be relaxed for NHL players.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
NHL - Around the NHL XX - NHL looking at playoffs starting on July 1

I’ll add an additional note to my post in the last thread: This all came at a very bad time for the NHL’s TV deal.

Advertising funds have dried up. They’re gone. The largest TV players in sports have seen their cash cows disappear. Disney, NBCUniversal, Fox, hell even Viacom have seen deep impacts. Oh and you know who’s TV rights are up at the same time as the NHL? A little league called the NFL who is continuing to push forward with their negotiations.

Unless a non-traditional player steps in (Google or Amazon), I’m thinking that TV deal is no longer the rosey situation it was 4 months ago. Budget is going to be a huge deal for the companies that the league was depending on for a big check. For that reason, you have to push those big markets I listed that would be sitting on the outside looking in into the playoffs.

For that reason, you have to push those big markets I listed that would be sitting on the outside looking in into the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Well, not really into the re-seeding BS but I get it. Technically some teams could have passed the bruins so who’s to say

Just hope the games aren’t bullshit and injury ridden

I would hope players just look at them as warm ups and don’t try to hurt anyone. I’d like to see a really intense hockey focused playoffs if we’re going to do it with no bullshit and guys getting their heads and knees blown out

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I still say the round-robin reseeding round is reasonable. First, let's face it - given that there will have been an unintentional 3 month hiatus, these teams are NOT going to be the same when they come back. Some will exceed expectations. Some will fall short. I have no idea what category the Bruins would go in to, but given the statistical fact of regression to the mean (ie the hopes were pretty high already, given that they currently have the Presidents' Trophy), they're going to be worse than they would have been had COVID-19 not septimated (do the math and learn the etymology of decimated!) the schedule.

Thus, I have no faith at all that seeds 1-12 mean anything anymore in terms of team quality. Being first seed means little else other than guaranteeing last change (not home ice anymore!) throughout the playoffs. Being against the 8 seed is no better than being against the 5 seed, IMO. (Just checked - okay, maybe a bad example, but still.)

The only thing I fear is injury in the round robin. But then again, there's the potential for injury in any round, and the Bruins playing cold against a team that's had to play-in 2 or 3 games is a recipe for disaster. It's the best of both world: a game with some, but not the ultimate, importance. We've got twice the shot of any of the 5-12 seeds of winning the cup, and that's a good reward.

As far as letting teams that don't deserve it - okay, it may not be perfectly FAIR, but it's a good balance between fair and practical. What do we do - force all 31 teams to come back and resume the regular season? Detroit would be understantably pissed. Create a new schedule of regular season games within pods? Mathematically possible, perhaps, but logistically laborious, when you consider each team would have to play 10-12 games. Cut it off at 16, 8 per conference? There's no clear 16 who should get in. While 24 lets a few genuinely unworthy teams sneak in, it's a chance I'm willing to take.

Reactions: Aeroforce
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad