NHL Around the NHL XXI - UPDATE 7/1 - Toronto and Edmonton chosen as hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
No but it helps. Most guys become fans of the team that's paying them. But, when a kid grows up rooting for our rivals I lose interest in seeing him as a Bruin, EVER!

I could care less what a guy’s favorite team was growing up.

Bourque as mentioned earlier was a Canadiens fan, what a disappointment he was.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfan419

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Wait what?

What are peoples definitions of a #1 defense-man? How have you watched him over the last 2 seasons and playoffs and come away with anything other than him being a #1 defense-man? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
mcavoy is a number 1. but eichel is a better #1. Hes more dominant at this point so far.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
100756312_1547904842047431_6473990997683470336_n~2.jpg

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
There's a better argument to be made for Philly competing for a playoff spot than there is for them competing for the #1 seed.

Mathematically, for them to actually win the #1 seed, they pretty much have to win all 3 games, or win two and a loser point. If they only get 4 points, the pigeonhole principle says another team has at least 4 points, and the tiebreaker always goes to anyone but Philly due to regular season standings.

If they can win 3 straight games against the top 3 teams in the Eastern Conference, that's at least a compelling argument that - in whatever configuration they're in when August rolls around - they're doing well.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Jack Eichel is a Habs fan

"I am a Montreal Canadiens fan. I know I probably shouldn't be saying this, but I really like their tradition and there's so much passion in Montreal. I really like their style of play. They've got so much speed and they're always attacking the opposing team. I'm a Bruins fan at heart, but I also really like the Canadiens."

Sounds like a hockey player trying to be nice. If he really means it, he is no longer a Bruins fan.

Silva

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
How much does the standings tie breaker matter for the top 4 teams in the round robin? if there is a tie in points, standings is used as the tie breaker.

I ran 5,000 scenarios assuming each team has a 50% chance to win each game. There is a 25% chance each game is a 3 point game (based on historical probability of a 3 point game).

Each of the top 4 teams is expected to finish with 3.4 points. This is because each team has the same probability to win each game (50%).

Bruins are twice as likely to finish in 1st than the Flyers.

The top seed (Bruins) ends up in first place 35% of the time because of the tie breaker.
Second seed (Lightning) ends up in first place 27% of the time.
Third seed (Capitals) ends up in first place 21% of the time.
Fourth seed (Flyers) ends up in first place 17% of the time.

Here are the full results

Prob of 1st place
35%1. Bruins
27%2. Lightning
21%3. Capitals
17%4. Flyers
Prob of 2nd place
21%1. Bruins
27%2. Lightning
27%3. Capitals
25%4. Flyers
Prob of 3rd place
26%1. Bruins
24%2. Lightning
24%3. Capitals
25%4. Flyers
Prob of 4th place
18%1. Bruins
22%2. Lightning
27%3. Capitals
33%4. Flyers
Prob of 1st or 2nd place
56%1. Bruins
54%2. Lightning
48%3. Capitals
42%4. Flyers
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
How much does the standings tie breaker matter for the top 4 teams in the round robin? if there is a tie in points, standings is used as the tie breaker.

I ran 5,000 scenarios assuming each team has a 50% chance to win each game. There is a 25% chance each game is a 3 point game (based on historical probability of a 3 point game).

Each of the top 4 teams is expected to finish with 3.4 points. This is because each team has the same probability to win each game (50%).

The top seed (Bruins) ends up in first place 35% of the time because of the tie breaker.

Prob of 1st place
35%1. Bruins
27%2. Lightning
21%3. Capitals
17%4. Flyers
Prob of 2nd place
21%1. Bruins
27%2. Lightning
27%3. Capitals
25%4. Flyers
Prob of 3rd place
26%1. Bruins
24%2. Lightning
24%3. Capitals
25%4. Flyers
Prob of 4th place
18%1. Bruins
22%2. Lightning
27%3. Capitals
33%4. Flyers
Prob of 1st or 2nd place
56%1. Bruins
54%2. Lightning
48%3. Capitals
42%4. Flyers
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

That's cool - I just did a simple math exercise way earlier but without the stats for the OTL. This does show that we are, to a degree, protected from the basement, while not guaranteed first place.

One thing I just thought of - is there a possibility of collusion in the last game? Where both teams know they would be hindered by getting 0 points, but both teams would be helped if they just faux play until they get 1 point, and that the extra point after that is meaningless? Granted, that collusion would likely only mean bumping up or down a single seed, and not a complete elimination situation like in a normal year.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I've kind of checked out in a Covid induced depression for the last month or so.

I don't have the energy to look through all the links and comments in this thread so can anyone answer this question?

If this years playoffs could go into September/October and would push back the 2020 - 2021 opener until November or December...if so, what then?

Would they play less games in 2020 - 2021?

Pack in 82 in such a short time?

Just wondering.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I've kind of checked out in a Covid induced depression for the last month or so.

I don't have the energy to look through all the links and comments in this thread so can anyone answer this question?

If this years playoffs could go into September/October and would push back the 2020 - 2021 opener until November or December...if so, what then?

Just wondering.

5-6 week break. No extended preseason training. Hopefully tone deaf owners realize that soaking fans for 3 preseason games is a no go. I have to think that the Bruins break from their last game in March until first game they play in July was longer than SCF G7 2019 to the first preseason game in September.

2021 SCF ending in July vs June sounds great I love attending games in warm weather and we no longer have spring in MA its either winter or summer.

Reactions: sarge88

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Prob of 1st place
35%1. Bruins
27%2. Lightning
21%3. Capitals
17%4. Flyers
Prob of 2nd place
21%1. Bruins
27%2. Lightning
27%3. Capitals
25%4. Flyers
Prob of 3rd place
26%1. Bruins
24%2. Lightning
24%3. Capitals
25%4. Flyers
Prob of 4th place
18%1. Bruins
22%2. Lightning
27%3. Capitals
33%4. Flyers
Prob of 1st or 2nd place
56%1. Bruins
54%2. Lightning
48%3. Capitals
42%4. Flyers
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The Bruins only have a 56% chance of finishing 1st OR 2nd after finishing 1st in the NHL.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Just wondering.

It's still quite possible there is no 2020-21 season, even if they do swing the playoffs. My impression - and I could be totally, 100% off base - is that they're trying to get in the lucrative 2020 playoff games to satisfy TV contracts. Once that's over, if there's a second wave of COVID, or if playing to quarter-filled stadiums isn't profitable, they may just wait out the season.

Of course, it'd be great if they did have the regular season. I can't see a full 82 games under almost any circumstance - the playoffs will end at the very end of September at the absolute earliest. You need at least 6 weeks off for the teams, and then 2 weeks of camp. That's the start of December. If we assume COVID is gone (unlikely), then that's only one month, or 13-ish games when you take out Christmas/Boxing Day, more than the lockout-shortened season, which already extended beyond the normal April ending date. And even that is a highly optimistic outlook. You need all 31 cities to agree to host games, and agree to it in advance, and hope that there are absolutely no setbacks. Good luck with that.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
My biggest wish with the seeding is that TB and Washington either end up 1-4/4-1 or 2-3/3-2. Philly, with their lack of playoff experience, (assuming they and the Bruins make it) is a miles better matchup than TB or Wash in the second round.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm kind of interested to see how this setup goes. I think it could be interesting if in future seasons you had a 3 game series "play-in" for the wild card teams.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Has it been discussed anywhere that if the playoffs start, and someone tests positive, what happens ? Is that team out ? The team they are playing out ?

I find it hard to believe that we can make it all the way to the finals without an issue.....what's the plan ?

Reactions: rfournier103

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
Bruins captain Zdeno Chara, in his 22nd season, estimated he hasn’t been off skates for this long in his career.
Just tuning in .... why weren't players skating all this time? Seems like it could be accomplished with infinitesimal risk to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad