Around The NHL XVIII: Scoreboard Watching Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if it's well known that a guy going into his senior year is going to be super duper wonderful, why not draft him the summer before he graduates? What I mean is, this O'Connor kid didn't come out of nowhere. The scouts had to know he was a legit prospect before the 2014 NHL draft, so why didn't someone take a 7th round flyer on him then?

Or do teams automatically lose draft rights when a kid graduates, even if he was drafted recently?

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if it's well known that a guy going into his senior year is going to be super duper wonderful, why not draft him the summer before he graduates? What I mean is, this O'Connor kid didn't come out of nowhere. The scouts had to know he was a legit prospect before the 2014 NHL draft, so why didn't someone take a 7th round flyer on him then?

Or do teams automatically lose draft rights when a kid graduates, even if he was drafted recently?

It was probably evident that he was returning for his senior year and, as such, would be eligible to sign wherever he wants. So why bother wasting a pick.

Our staff was clearly high on him by having him at the dev camps to meet the staff and get a feeling for the culture of the team.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

North American players are only draft eligible between ages 18-20. Players that sign as college free agents are usually more like 22 or 23, and in some cases even older than that.

O'Connor's years for draft eligibility were 2010-2012 and I guess nobody wanted t gamble on him at that time.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Bah!

They really need to standardize the rules across the board.

As it stands right now, any kid who wants to be in control of his own destiny should probably go the college route. Get a free education, play less games and save your body, and when the college days are over, you can take your pick of several teams.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
North American players are only draft eligible between ages 18-20. Players that sign as college free agents are usually more like 22 or 23, and in some cases even older than that.

O'Connor's years for draft eligibility were 2010-2012 and I guess nobody wanted t gamble on him at that time.

The relevant CBA language on this subject:

ARTICLE 8
ENTRY DRAFT

8.4 Eligibility for Claim.
(a) All Players age 18 or older are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:

(i) a Player on the Reserve List of a Club, other than as a try-out;
(ii) a Player who has been claimed in two prior Entry Drafts;
(iii) a Player who previously played in the League and became a Free Agent
pursuant to this Agreement;
(iv) a Player age 21 or older who: (A) has not been selected in a previous
Entry Draft and (B) played hockey for at least one season in North
America when he was age 18, 19, or 20 and shall be eligible to enter the
League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d)
; and
(v) a Player age 22 or older who has not been selected in a previous Entry
Draft and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free
Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d).

Last edited:

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
oo2CgC0.jpg

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
The relevant CBA language on this subject:

As I interpret it, O'Connor should fall under subsection 4 due to playing in North America at age 18-20.

Subsection 5 seems to apply mainly to European free agents.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
As I interpret it, O'Connor should fall under subsection 4 due to playing in North America at age 18-20.

Subsection 5 seems to apply mainly to European free agents.

Subsection 5 applies to everyone, everywhere, regardless of nationality.

[✓] Are you 22 years old or older?
[✓] Have you never been selected in an NHL Entry Draft before?

If all boxes are checked, you are a UFA.

Subsection 4 only exists for NA players as a clause for 21 year olds.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Sure, but my point is that O'Connor (and most other college UFA's) are UFA's under subsection 4. He could not have been drafted in 2013 after his freshman year after BU while the highlighted subsection 5 sort of implies he could have been.

It's not really important, but I suppose there are hypothetical 21 year old NCAA players that could be drafted.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Sure, but my point is that O'Connor (and most other college UFA's) are UFA's under subsection 4. He could not have been drafted in 2013 after his freshman year after BU while the highlighted subsection 5 sort of implies he could have been.

It's not really important, but I suppose there are hypothetical 21 year old NCAA players that could be drafted.

Ah ok, yeah. Duh. Not sure how I didn't see that originally. It's late here, beer, other things.

I get what you're saying now, and yeah, you're 100% correct.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Starting to think we may be able to catch Washington. I'd always viewed them as too far ahead to catch, but if the Rangers take care of business today and beat them (Talbot instead of Lundy is a good thing, never thought I'd ay that, ha) and we beat Florida we're only 2 points back with a game in hand (and a head to head). Obviously today is a must win, and we need some help from the Rangers (and potentially Carolina, but I don't haver much faith in them).

Karlsson2Turris*

Carolina has been really good of late, wouldn't surprise me if they won

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Starting to think we may be able to catch Washington. I'd always viewed them as too far ahead to catch, but if the Rangers take care of business today and beat them (Talbot instead of Lundy is a good thing, never thought I'd ay that, ha) and we beat Florida we're only 2 points back with a game in hand (and a head to head). Obviously today is a must win, and we need some help from the Rangers (and potentially Carolina, but I don't haver much faith in them).

This has been said for a while now. We can catch washington, we are hot etc. But it still hasant been done. Lets focus on boston first :)

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
And the Rangers are now losing to Washington. Could they do a better job of dashing our playoff hopes in a 4 day stretch?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
So if we lose to a borderline playoff team in Florida our playoff chances drop nearly 20%, but if Boston loses to the Hurricanes - one of the worst teams in the league, our chances only rise by 9.6%?

Not sure I'd agree with that.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
So if we lose to a borderline playoff team in Florida our playoff chances drop nearly 20%, but if Boston loses to the Hurricanes - one of the worst teams in the league, our chances only rise by 9.6%?

Not sure I'd agree with that.
It also takes into account FLA only being 1 pt behind us if they win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad