Around the NHL XL: Extra Large

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Scott Stevens was just a disgusting player. That hit on Shane Willis honestly. The mindset of a man to throw a hit like that in a game that was decided...

To me, he was a player that prided himself on injuring the other team. If he could take back the times he concussed Lindros, I don't think he would. I think he's proud of it.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I don't need needless fights in games anymore but a lot of games just flat out lack intensity nowadays. Rangers - Devils or Rangers - Flyers or whoever should be a wild game but most of the time it's just any other game. No after the whistle stuff, no agitation, nothing.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
He'd never have the same impact in today's NHL.

His game would be neutered to the point of limiting his abilities.

Despite being more athletic and faster, somehow the NHL has managed to make the game far less exciting IMO.

I believe it's a little less exciting because the defensemen and goalies have improved overall, and also because coaching has become more about preventing goals than scoring them.

According to both Gretzky and Orr, there is far less creativity because coaches look at it as a negative.

A solution would be to go to Olympic sized ice, in my opinion, but that would involve removing some of the most expensive seats. Owners will never agree to that.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I'd like to believe that Messier's ability to intimidate went beyond elbows to the head.

With that said, I think Stevens was far more dangerous with Messier in regards to his headshots. In fact, I'd go so far as to say he's one of the guys who ushered in the problem we're seeing now with guys targeting the head and trying to put a guy into a coma when simply putting him on his ass will do.

I'm not sure I have ever seen a player more interested in hurting the opposition than Scott Stevens.

*Bob Richards*

Burns!

I can only hope the Sharks pull the unthinkable. Starts tonight. Let's go, San Jose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad