NHL Around the NHL XII - Golden Knights Fire Gallant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
A lot to like here:
  • Rips the officials, the technology, and review team in Toronto apart for inexcusable, mind-boggling inconsistencies
  • Makes his coffee cup shoot into the air in cartoon-like fashion about 4-5 times by slamming his hand on the podium
  • Walks off saying "I'm not taking anymore f***ing questions" before being asked one.
I f***ing love this guy.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Too bad there isn't another coach in the NHL with the stones to call out the incompetence of the officiating. It's not like these guys can't afford to pay the fines they all make big money.
Indeed. The NHL clearly doesn't give a crap about fixing it as long as the money from TV and the fans keeps rolling in. They would have done something about it years ago if they genuinely cared about improving that part of their product. If several more coaches would call out the blatant incompetence in a similar way Torts did then I think it might raise some eyebrows at the NHL offices. Torts doing it is cathartic for many folks, but the NHL likely will just dismiss it as Torts being Torts and carry on.

What bugs me a great deal is the broken system to select refs for the playoffs. We hear every year how the absolute best refs are chosen for the playoffs. The media makes sure to hammer that point home. That is such a load of crap. It's obvious to me that things operate on the good ol boy system. It's the same clowns that get chosen most every year. And it's the same clowns that ass up and do a terrible job most every year. The likes of Kozari, O'Halloran, Peel, and Rooney are awful at their job, while there are many lesser known refs that do a more solid job night in and night out, yet many of those guys do not get chosen to go deep into the playoffs. The NHL would do well to clean house and get new people in for evaluating and assigning refs.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
I will always love Torts. Got to drink champagne out of the Calder cup at 15 because of him, taking a rag tag Amerks team to the championship.

That team was outstanding.....just took them until the playoffs to come together. Best year of hockey I recall in Rochester. Torts was great.

By the way, I missed the on-ice celebrations after that game, as I ran with my brother to get the tub of Champagne bottles out of the trunk of the car for the in-locker-room celebrations.

That’s when the AHL was just as much about hockey as about development. We had a team of veterans that were proud to wear the Amerks jersey....not the Sabres-lite jersey. The AHL is brutal now....I’ve tried, and I can’t watch it anymore.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

How many times in our professional lives have we all escalated an issue up only to have it ignored?
I think Torts is playing both sides here. He is holding the NHL accountable publicly because it MIGHT not have been getting done internally.
If that costs him an apology then so be it. Both sides save face and maybe now something gets done.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Czechs tie up the Americans in the 3rd, goal gets called back and the locals are not happy.

Poor host Czechs are running out of players to play, too many injuries.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Czechs tie up the Americans in the 3rd, goal gets called back and the locals are not happy.

Poor host Czechs are running out of players to play, too many injuries.

Now the Czech coach is challenging the call, which was just reviewed.

Refs say the same thing, no goal and now they are saying it wont count as a review?

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Indeed. The NHL clearly doesn't give a crap about fixing it as long as the money from TV and the fans keeps rolling in. They would have done something about it years ago if they genuinely cared about improving that part of their product. If several more coaches would call out the blatant incompetence in a similar way Torts did then I think it might raise some eyebrows at the NHL offices. Torts doing it is cathartic for many folks, but the NHL likely will just dismiss it as Torts being Torts and carry on.

What bugs me a great deal is the broken system to select refs for the playoffs. We hear every year how the absolute best refs are chosen for the playoffs. The media makes sure to hammer that point home. That is such a load of crap. It's obvious to me that things operate on the good ol boy system. It's the same clowns that get chosen most every year. And it's the same clowns that ass up and do a terrible job most every year. The likes of Kozari, O'Halloran, Peel, and Rooney are awful at their job, while there are many lesser known refs that do a more solid job night in and night out, yet many of those guys do not get chosen to go deep into the playoffs. The NHL would do well to clean house and get new people in for evaluating and assigning refs.
Oooh! Let the fans vote on the refs for the playoffs.
It would be more interesting than voting on the All-Stars!

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
How can Brad Marchand not make the NHL all star game, what a disgrace.

He might be a top 5 Hart candidate, but he's not even on the all-star team. Worse than that, he's not even in the final vote. I love Bergy, but Marchand is much more deserving.

I understand why they have the requirement that every team have a participant, but Bertuzzi and Duclair have no business being on the team. At some point, common sense has to come into play.

Reactions: trenton1

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
He might be a top 5 Hart candidate, but he's not even on the all-star team. Worse than that, he's not even in the final vote. I love Bergy, but Marchand is much more deserving.

I understand why they have the requirement that every team have a participant, but Bertuzzi and Duclair have no business being on the team. At some point, common sense has to come into play.

This is the NHL, common sense rarely comes into play.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Another fun fact about the Marchand exclusion is that he's the only one of the top 13 scorers in the league not to make the team.

Reactions: trenton1

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Refs should have to answer for terrible calls. They should be treated no different than players, admit to mistakes and then make a commitment to get better.

As for Torts, I love his passion.

Reactions: missingchicklet

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I mean in a vaccuum torts has anger issues and acted unprofessionally, but he’s right to be mad and the league needs to wake up, they’re working against their best interests by pissing off and concussing players, coaches, and fans. Fans will start to gravitate away (some have already) the more they try to fix things by making them worse, and adding insult to injury with the inconsistency and flat out incompetence by some

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
Whats up with this scheduling, only 1 game tonight and about a dozen tomorrow. I wouldn't mind seeing more of a balance

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

I agree, it should be Marchand before Bergeron this year. If they hadn't taken Tuukka he'd probably be on it.

Bergeron should have been to more than two all-star games by now in his career though. But he's not Flashy McShowtime so he never got all the votes/recognition over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad