OT: Around the NHL XI: Playoff GDT Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
All of these young, extremely talented forwards scoring ridiculous goals. Young defensemen playing lights out. Teams with size, speed, hunger, desperation. It's so bitter sweet to watch good hockey in any series that doesn't involve the Penguins.
I still remember thinking when I first saw that the Pens had traded Despres to the Ducks, and I first thought maybe for Etem, who is a good talent, but was struggling this year. Probably could have been done.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I still remember thinking when I first saw that the Pens had traded Despres to the Ducks, and I first thought maybe for Etem, who is a good talent, but was struggling this year. Probably could have been done.

Yep. Ideally, we wouldn't have traded Despres at all and we would have allowed him to develop and hopefully reach his ceiling as a player. That being said, I don't think nearly as many people would have been upset if the return was someone of equal value/upside at forward.

But Ben ****ing Lovejoy? I would be surprised if there were a dozen players in the NHL who we'd have been worse off trading for than Lovejoy.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
It's funny because we've all talked about this subject to death and beyond...but every time it's brought up my blood still boils over it and I want to air grievances about it.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I remember spending a solid week defending the trade, hoping that Lovejoy had actually improved.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The closest I got to defending the trade was a "wait and see if Lovejoy's actually as good as people say he is."

He's no different than he was when we dumped him for whatever kind of pick we could get. He is exactly who we thought he was.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I went nuclear as soon as I saw Lovejoy's name. It didn't address a need at all and threw away a talented young player with good size and physicality not yet at his prime. And we got a block of Velveeta for him.

I'm cringing just thinking about what this off-season will bring.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
I went nuclear as soon as I saw Lovejoy's name. It didn't address a need at all and threw away a talented young player with good size and physicality not yet at his prime. And we got a block of Velveeta for him.

I'm cringing just thinking about what this off-season will bring.

Actually I was okay with it because it took ages to know what we gave for him. When I saw Despres I was speechless and I remember I waited with ppl here for the confirmation. What a bad day man.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I am genuinely concerned, not even in a "man, I hope this far-fetched hypothetical doesn't happen," but in a very legitimate way, that we are going to trade Geno this summer.

Something in my gut tells me that this organization is stupid enough to do it.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The closest I got to defending the trade was a "wait and see if Lovejoy's actually as good as people say he is."

He's no different than he was when we dumped him for whatever kind of pick we could get. He is exactly who we thought he was.

That was basically me. Although, I thought people were overreacting just because a young player was involved in the trade. Turns out it was because the trade was indeed bad.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Actually I was okay with it because it took ages to know what we gave for him. When I saw Despres I was speechless and I remember I waited with ppl here for the confirmation. What a bad day man.
I didn't see it live, it was a bit later and I read in sentence: "Pittsburgh trades Simon Despres to Anaheim for"

And before I saw Lovejoy I had a millisecond of wondering which young player they moved him for...and then

"Ben Lovejoy"

And I lost it.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh

I half-jokingly suggested it was Despres, and when it was confirmed, my face went numb.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I didn't see it live, it was a bit later and I read in sentence: "Pittsburgh trades Simon Despres to Anaheim for"

And before I saw Lovejoy I had a millisecond of wondering which young player they moved him for...and then

"Ben Lovejoy"

And I lost it.

I was following live. They announced the Penguins traded for Lovejoy, which I thought was pretty hilarious. It was so typical of the team to trade for a former Penguin who isn't very good.

Then they announced it was Despres. I was shocked, and convinced that there had to be more coming our way. No way they could possibly give up Despres for Lovejoy in a 1-for-1. But no. They did it.

I can't think of any trade that I was still fuming over nearly two months later. I'm not sure I'll ever get over it at this point, especially because Despres looks to be well on his way to developing into the player I always thought he could be.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I was following live. They announced the Penguins traded for Lovejoy, which I thought was pretty hilarious. It was so typical of the team to trade for a former Penguin who isn't very good.

Then they announced it was Despres. I was shocked, and convinced that there had to be more coming our way. No way they could possibly give up Despres for Lovejoy in a 1-for-1. But no. They did it.

I can't think of any trade that I was still fuming over nearly two months later. I'm not sure I'll ever get over it at this point, especially because Despres looks to be well on his way to developing into the player I always thought he could be.

Exactly how I felt.

"Oh god, Lovejoy. Hah... I wonder what we wasted getting that dummy back."

"Oh good lord, Despres? Seriously?! Is that a ****ing typo? No ****ing way... There's gotta be more coming back with Lovejoy. A 2nd? A prospect? Etem?"

"Holy ****, this organization really is as unbelievably ****ed as we all feared."

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The Jets lost to the Ducks, making them the first NHL franchise to lose their first eight playoff games.

Although, I really like that team moving forward.

Last edited:

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I half-jokingly suggested it was Despres, and when it was confirmed, my face went numb.

My face was numb too!

Yeah I saw it on reddit first, and it just said Penguins acquire Ben Lovejoy. And I was like, yeah that's an ok acquisition for the playoffs. And then I saw and my mind went blank for about 20 minutes.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Lol Despres for Lovejoy and JR OFFERED that to the Ducks. Maybe he was not the one who wanted to trade him and the rest were for that and they got as much say as JR and Bot. I fear for future deals. That's a Milbury trade plain and simple. It's so crazy we got this much stupidity for management, this is a pro league FFS.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
jiz2vl.jpg

Nashville and Vancouver facing elimination

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'm just wondering when the NHL is going to step in and stop this ******** that the Ducks, Flames, Blues, etc. have been pulling.

I mean, c'mon. Legitimate, huge contributions from players younger than 30? Maybe I'm wrong, but I've been told that's an impossibility in this league. I was under the impression that experience and veteran leadership were the only ways to victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad