NHL Around The NHL VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
was that the Boston Braves franchise that they had owned because the AHL did grant Boston an expansion franchise in 1988....

It is really murky - The Bruins paid the AHL a yearly fee to keep the franchise and then sold it to Winnipeg in 1987 that became Moncton WITH the understanding they could rejoin the AHL anytime in the future.

Fans in Manchester just were appalled at the quality of play in the ECHL and the quirky schedule where occasionally you could play the same team 3 days in a row.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Yes and with good reason as they are DEAD LAST in AHL attendance today

AHL 2018-19 team attendance at hockeydb.com

The rumors are flying that the ECHL team in Manchester will fold after this season and the AHL wants to get back into that market.

Let's be honest about this - the dropoff between the AHL and ECHL is enormous. No player jumps from the ECHL to the NHL, at best they might get promoted to the AHL to fill out the roster.

Manchester folding is probable, but if AHL returns to Manchester, would attendance skyrocket simply because it's AHL? I know people in general like to dismiss the ECHL as inferior, but this is a chronic problem I see with this region where people reject the new hockey because it's different, and therefore it sucks.

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia
A bit OT but last night an an NHL Seattle event, I got to meet Tod Leiweke (President and CEO) and some other members of the front office. All super nice. Tod and I exchanged stories about southern hockey (SPHL and IHL), and he laughed when I told him I'll wear the Seattle jersey for 40/41 home games a season.

20190226_184916.jpg

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Watched Doug Maclean today on Bob McCown show in Toronto talking about Jake Muzzin.MacLean said he spoke to people in Los Angeles who said his game has slipped bigtime the last yr & half.MacLean went on to say he has not been good in Toronto.This is great news for Bruins fans.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Manchester folding is probable, but if AHL returns to Manchester, would attendance skyrocket simply because it's AHL? I know people in general like to dismiss the ECHL as inferior, but this is a chronic problem I see with this region where people reject the new hockey because it's different, and therefore it sucks.
It's all about perspective. Have a friend who lives in KY. Was given cyclones tickets. Has gone back 4 more.times, already bought more tickets for this season and is going to get season tickets when available. It was first time ever seeing it in person and she fell in love. IMO, ECHL is perfect speed for the new fan to learn the game. Being in a hockey centric region would never bode well.for that level when even NCAA is better.

We are spoiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad