Around the NHL VIII - Tarasenko is Good at Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Makes you wonder what the decision was behind playing him for two games.

Rough start to the season for 2013-14 rookies: Mackinnon, Hertl struggling. Maatta and Nichushkin having health issues.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Tampa's depth is amazing/scary. In a 5-2 win against NYI, Stamkos only has 1 point.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Tampa's depth is amazing/scary. In a 5-2 win against NYI, Stamkos only has 1 point.

Scary thing is how many of those guys are young as hell. Heck, Drouin was a healthy scratch on top of that.

Defense is a different story but Hedman and Stralman is a good start.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Scary thing is how many of those guys are young as hell. Heck, Drouin was a healthy scratch on top of that.

Defense is a different story but Hedman and Stralman is a good start.

They'll definitely have problems keeping the band together, especially depending on what happens with Stamkos' contract, but damn, they still have so many good prospects that haven't even played in the NHL. That is a well-built team.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

From what i'v seen of them they do look very good, its not just the depth its that the depth is still so young, lots of there players are going to keep on improving, Yzerman has done a heck of a job with that team.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

That's what happens when you draft and develop young forwards, instead of ignoring that part altogether. Tampa's been able to offset any loss in production with St. Louis' departure because they have guys like Palat, Johnson, Kucherov, etc. ready to take over.

Unlike a certain other club who seemed to think quality top six winger prospects was a luxury rather than a need.

penguins2946*

That sucks to hear for Nuke. He's such a good player. They'll rebound for next year with a good young D from the draft.

I always thought Dallas was overrated heading into the season. Mind you, I didn't think they would struggle this mightily.

Just like Colorado, their scoring covered how bad their D was. That's not happening this year.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Just like Colorado, their scoring covered how bad their D was. That's not happening this year.

The young defensemen coming up through the system should help down the road, but not right now. Daley and Goligoski are being asked to do too much.

Last edited:

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Minnesota needed OT to beat the Jets after being up 3-0. Kind of enjoy watching that team collapse after their fans threw garbage all over the Pens after the game earlier this month. Of course, I have no love for the Jets either after Buff ran around like an idiot hitting people after goals last week. Too bad either team had to win that one.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Minnesota needed OT to beat the Jets after being up 3-0. Kind of enjoy watching that team collapse after their fans threw garbage all over the Pens after the game earlier this month. Of course, I have no love for the Jets either after Buff ran around like an idiot hitting people after goals last week. Too bad either team had to win that one.

this post does your avatar justice! :laugh:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Toews almost took a skate to the face area, the intangibles shield activated in time. Scary, though. It's really surprising that they don't have more skate injuries.

This season is a wash for Dallas.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
A Red Wing shoving him down behind the net, and Gallagher still manages to score. Him and Crosby would draw so many penalties if they played on a line together.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
One or both of DAl and CBj are gonna fall into the bottom 5 this year and draft a stud, then be awesome for the next decade. I hope it's DAL and not CBJ.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Neither of those two teams has any excuse to finish in the bottom five unless Columbus has massive injuries all year. Dallas' offense is good enough to somewhat offset that defense and CBJ is a pretty decent team all around when healthy. Inevitably it's going to be the usual suspects. At least Florida looks like they're trying to get better this year so we may have a new bottom five contender in Arizona. Didn't I read somewhere that they pretty much admitted to trying to tank?

When a Pens fan thinks you're drafting in the top five an absurd amount of times you know your team has issues. If the Oilers end up with the #1 pick again I'd actually be in favor of the NHL putting a limit on how many #1 picks you can have within X number of years. I feel awful for those fans but until they make changes to that organization off the ice they're just going to continue to stockpile talent and have them waste away. At least the Isles won't be sucking out loud and collecting another top 10 pick.

Unrelated, I was wondering how the Pens could only be 4th in the league with the record they have and it dawned on me...they've only played 16 games so far. All 3 teams ahead of them have played at least two more (TB has played 18, ANA & MTL have both played 19). The Sharks have played 20. What is up with the schedule this year? All these long breaks at the beginning of the season and everything crammed in after the holidays.

Last edited:

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Neither of those two teams has any excuse to finish in the bottom five unless Columbus has massive injuries all year. Dallas' offense is good enough to somewhat offset that defense and CBJ is a pretty decent team all around when healthy. Inevitably it's going to be the usual suspects. At least Florida looks like they're trying to get better this year so we may have a new bottom five contender in Arizona. Didn't I read somewhere that they pretty much admitted to trying to tank?

When a Pens fan thinks you're drafting in the top five an absurd amount of times you know your team has issues. If the Oilers end up with the #1 pick again I'd actually be in favor of the NHL putting a limit on how many #1 picks you can have within X number of years. I feel awful for those fans but until they make changes to that organization off the ice they're just going to continue to stockpile talent and have them waste away. At least the Isles won't be sucking out loud and collecting another top 10 pick.

Unrelated, I was wondering how the Pens could only be 4th in the league with the record they have and it dawned on me...they've only played 16 games so far. All 3 teams ahead of them have played at least two more (TB has played 18, ANA & MTL have both played 19). The Sharks have played 20. What is up with the schedule this year? All these long breaks at the beginning of the season and everything crammed in after the holidays.

It's not perfect because of OT/SO points, but that is the main reason I look at the standings sorted by the point percentage.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm still shaking my head at the insanely deep 2009 draft... WTF.

Does anyone know what the Pens were offering to move up and nab Tarasenko in his draft year? I know they were trying but I don't know what couldn't beat Runblad.

At the time, Rundblad was very highly thought of. In retrospect, that trade was a steal for the Blues, but at the time, that wasn't a cheap price.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That sucks to hear for Nuke. He's such a good player. They'll rebound for next year with a good young D from the draft.

Colorado thought getting Erik Johnson would solve all their problems, I still think he's a marginal #2 on a crap team (he's a #1 there and that's laughable to me), more like a solid #3.

I don't see a lot of defenseman no the Avs that would make me envy them, I mean Duncan is a solid defensive defenseman type...likely a higher end version of Bortuzzo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad