NHL Around the NHL VIII - John Tavares named Captain of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Status
Not open for further replies.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I find it absolutely shocking that an agent doesn't think his clients are paid enough. :thumbd:
Not to mention an NBA roster has what? 12 guys on it? Of course the high end guys will make a crap ton more.

As for the escrow thing, isn’t it mildly disingenuous for the players to complain about that at all? It’s basically their doing no?

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I was a big Justin Williams fan, until this past season. It's been debated to death, but I thought the storm surges were cringe-worthy, and was surprised a player of his pedigree was behind them. I'm sure new ownership in a struggling market had a lot to do with it, but it doesn't mean he had to go along with it.
Johnny_Upton_Fashion_Show.jpg

As a fan of physical hockey, I'm a bit saddened by the retirement of Niklas Kronwall. Is it the end of an era in the new NHL? Probably not, but we may not see another player whose main calling card is bruising, often borderline hits. Well at least during the regular season. ;)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I mean all three other leagues are more popular than hockey and make much more $$$$

Not to mention an NBA roster has what? 12 guys on it? Of course the high end guys will make a crap ton more.

As for the escrow thing, isn’t it mildly disingenuous for the players to complain about that at all? It’s basically their doing no?

The NBA has a salary cap with so many loopholes that nobody fully understands it - AND the NBA is the only league where one player makes a difference.

The NHL is NEVER going to get the national TV money that the other big 4 sports enjoy AND it is alone where the highest paid players are sitting on the bench longer than being on the ice.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Me too, but if Debrusk scores 25-30 next year and 50+ points (very possible), then I’d imagine that he and his agent would look to Keller’s contract a as model for a long-term signing.
I'd tell DeBrusk to take a hike if he wanted $7 mil

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I'd tell DeBrusk to take a hike if he wanted $7 mil
Some AAV's for players similar but not as good as DeBrusk (IMO)
Nik Ehlers 6m aav
Colin White 94 games 47 points 4.75 aav
Ondrej Palat averages 35 points a year 5.3 aav
Jason Zucker averages 45 points last 4 seasons 5.5 aav

Timo Meier is probably one of the best comparable to DeBrusk 6 aav.

Salaries are just going to keep going up, if they want to "buy" years of UFA from DeBrusk it is going to cost them. Be curious to see what Tkachuk gets this off season, if I was DeBrsuk's agent I would use Tkachuk, Meier, Keller as my comparables.

DeBrusk gets 30G/25A he will get over 7M.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Some AAV's for players similar but not as good as DeBrusk (IMO)
Nik Ehlers 6m aav
Colin White 94 games 47 points 4.75 aav
Ondrej Palat averages 35 points a year 5.3 aav
Jason Zucker averages 45 points last 4 seasons 5.5 aav

Timo Meier is probably one of the best comparable to DeBrusk 6 aav.

Salaries are just going to keep going up, if they want to "buy" years of UFA from DeBrusk it is going to cost them. Be curious to see what Tkachuk gets this off season, if I was DeBrsuk's agent I would use Tkachuk, Meier, Keller as my comparables.

DeBrusk gets 30G/25A he will get over 7M.
He's going to have to be more consistent for me to even consider a $7mil contract.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Took him 8 years to finally get $7 mil.

I'm not giving DeBrusk that kind of cash after 3 seasons

Different salary structures nowadays, but I am with you. Jake isn't worth $7m now and may never be. Then again, if the cap keeps rising, 7 mil might be todays 4 mil in a few years :dunno:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Different salary structures nowadays, but I am with you. Jake isn't worth $7m now and may never be. Then again, if the cap keeps rising, 7 mil might be todays 4 mil in a few years :dunno:
A few years perhaps but next year, not at all.

No way should DeBrusk make more than Marchy or Pasta

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
That Keller deal...wow!

Keller's P/GP puts him at a 55pt winger for his career and he's poor defensively
Heinen's P/GP puts him at a 41pt winger for his career and he's solid defensively

The extra 14pts a year that Keller provides is apparently worth roughly $4.3 million lol.

Also to note, Keller gets significant PP time compared to Heinen. I'd rather have Heinen at $2.8 than Keller at $7.1 million.

Reactions: Alicat

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
A few years perhaps but next year, not at all.

No way should DeBrusk make more than Marchy or Pasta

This isn't against you personally, but people really need to stop thinking of the Marchand and Pastrnak (and Bergeron, for that matter) contracts as the norm. They are incredibly team-friendly deals that are the exception, not the rule. Combined with the fact that average salaries for very good/great NHL players is rising, it's unrealistic to expect that Debrusk should ask for (and make) less than anyone on Boston's top line. If Jake gets 30 goals and 50-60 points this season, and similar players are getting contracts of 7+ million annually, then he should demand the same.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

That's actually smart of the NHL which typically sucks at marketing its players and the game. I'd like to see more attention paid to the characters of the game and Marchand is one of the biggest. Too much vanilla, old-time (Eddie Shore, Toe Blake) hockey values.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
That's actually smart of the NHL which typically sucks at marketing its players and the game. I'd like to see more attention paid to the characters of the game and Marchand is one of the biggest. Too much vanilla, old-time (Eddie Shore, Toe Blake) hockey values.
Except the NHL didn't create the Marchand one :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad