NHL Around the NHL VIII - John Tavares named Captain of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Bill "thanks for leaving so we could draft Bergeron" Guerin ;)

Interesting....

I used to drink beers w Guerin (and a bunch of Devils) in the early 90's. If you told me then he was GM material I prob would have given you a million to one odds. Good for him. I hope he does well. I would be shocked if he was a big Donato guy tho, not his style.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Dollar Bill Guerin as a GM?

I can't wait until his first free agent strings him along for months trying to extort every last penny out of him, then goes to a higher bidder at the 11th hour.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Mitch Marner saga is turning me off to hockey and I’m not even a Leafs fan

Thank God Football is here

The Red Sox suck and Mitch Marner has drained me of my love for hockey

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Since McAvoy is about 70% as good as Provorov I’m guessing he wants $7 M

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

I would assume the NHL will be annoucing something as well since it is proof of a violation against the NHLs Substance abuse policy. Would expect the Capitals to require him go through the ropes of a drug recovery program as well.

Wonder if he will miss any games for Washington?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I would assume the NHL will be annoucing something as well since it is proof of a violation against the NHLs Substance abuse policy. Would expect the Capitals to require him go through the ropes of a drug recovery program as well.

Wonder if he will miss any games for Washington?
Well the Caps and NHL said he did nothing wrong after after the photos of hims snorting booger sugar surfaced on social media so I'm not holding my breath here.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Well the Caps and NHL said he did nothing wrong after after the photos of hims snorting booger sugar surfaced on social media so I'm not holding my breath here.

Wow, that's shocking to hear.

Shows you how much the NHLs policies seem to be flouted and teated lightly unless you make a huge scandal.

Concussion Protocals: "We wont punish teams or players that willfully and knowingly play while under the effects of conussionsympts when evidence is found that they did so. But we care about our players.

Substance Abuse: As long as its not affecting the players play in the NHL or their relations to their team then we are fine with it being hush-hush. Even though drug and alcohol addiction has always been rampant in the sport and there are tons of stories of how its ruined players careers not to mention their lives and their families lives as well.

Typical business. We will scream when it makes us look good in the media, but otherwise we dont really care. >:(

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
From the NHL

NHL.com Media Site

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NEW YORK (August 23, 2019) – NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly released the following statement today regarding Washington Capitals’ Player Evgeny Kuznetsov:

“We have been fully briefed by the IIHF with respect to the positive test result and related international sanction that has been imposed on WashingtonCapitals’ Player Evgeny Kuznetsov.

“Unlike the IIHF, cocaine is not considered a performance enhancing drug and is therefore not a Prohibited Substance under the NHL/NHLPA Performance Enhancing Substances Program. Instead, it is considered a drug of abuse that is tested for and for which intervention, evaluation and mandatory treatment can occur in appropriate cases.

“Here, we understand that Mr. Kuznetsov has voluntarily sought help through the education and counseling program provided for in the NHL and NHLPA collective bargaining agreement and has agreed to a regular testing protocol relating to his involvement with that program.

“Mr. Kuznetsov has also agreed to an in-person meeting with Commissioner Gary Bettman to discuss his situation and review his conduct prior to the start of Training Camp preceding the 2019-20 season.
We intend to reserve further comment on any additional actions that may or may not be taken with respect to today’s announcement (disciplinary or otherwise) pending the completion of the Commissioner’s meeting with Mr. Kuznetsov.”

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Shows you how much the NHLs policies seem to be flouted and teated lightly unless you make a huge scandal.

Concussion Protocals: "We wont punish teams or players that willfully and knowingly play while under the effects of conussionsympts when evidence is found that they did so. But we care about our players.

Substance Abuse: As long as its not affecting the players play in the NHL or their relations to their team then we are fine with it being hush-hush. Even though drug and alcohol addiction has always been rampant in the sport and there are tons of stories of how its ruined players careers not to mention their lives and their families lives as well.

Typical business. We will scream when it makes us look good in the media, but otherwise we dont really care. :mad:

Per Bob McKenzie:
On NHL-NHLPA program (Kassian), Stage 1 can be voluntary or mandatory depending on circumstances but there is rarely public acknowledgement.
Stage 1 is with pay. But any violation of Stage 1 conditions (can be very strict) leads to automatic entry to Stage 2, suspended without pay.
There is always public acknowledgment of Stage 2 because the player is suspended without pay. Once in Stage 2, only doctors can reinstate.​
Sources 1, 2, 3.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Typical business. We will scream when it makes us look good in the media, but otherwise we dont really care. :mad:
I was surprised to see how dismissive they were when the photos surfaced.

At least there is a program and he has voluntarily joined it and agreed to more testing throughout the season.

I just hope he gets the help he needs because he's a damn good player and I'd hate to see him throw it all away.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I was surprised to see how dismissive they were when the photos surfaced.

At least there is a program and he has voluntarily joined it and agreed to more testing throughout the season.

I just hope he gets the help he needs because he's a damn good player and I'd hate to see him throw it all away.

This is very good news. Thanks for posting it.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Oh boy. :laugh:

from sportsnet.ca:

Russia’s sports minister suggested the United States should take some blame for drug use by Kuznetsov, who made his Washington debut at age 21.

"It’s not possible for us to control athletes who at a young age leave Russia for places with a completely different culture," minister Pavel Kolobkov said in a statement.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Yeah, cause there's no substance abuse problem in Russia.

Russia Drug Abuse Information

Now, Russia possesses the world’s fastest-growing drug trafficking and abuse problem without having adequate prevention or treatment programs in place.

Alcohol and Illicit Drug in Russia: Current Situation and Possible Solution

Alcoholism has been the traditional problem in Russia for centuries. The current situation is far from ideal (2.2 million alcoholics, 700,000 alcohol-related deaths, 160,000 diagnosed with psychosis annually); however, the attention of society has recently shifted toward illicit drugs. Some researchers estimate that there are 4 million to 6 million regular users, whereas among young Russians, lifetime prevalence of illicit drug use is up to 40 percent.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Oh boy. :laugh:

from sportsnet.ca:

Russia’s sports minister suggested the United States should take some blame for drug use by Kuznetsov, who made his Washington debut at age 21.

"It’s not possible for us to control athletes who at a young age leave Russia for places with a completely different culture," minister Pavel Kolobkov said in a statement.
I want to say something so bad but I don't want to be banned

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Olympic Skier Lindsey Vonn Is Engaged to New Jersey Devils Hockey Player P.K. Subban

image1.jpeg

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Good take.

interesting views

IMO, at the end of the day, as one who is an addict and alcoholic (sober and clean) nobody could help me until I A) admitted I had a problem and B) was willing to do something about it

It is also irresponsible for me to state emphatically that because of a photo that surfaced for me to form the opinion that Kuznetsov is an addict or has a problem with cocaine. I experimented with the drug many many moons ago but it wasn`t for me even as one who has a terribly addictive personality.

I will almost always fall on the side of assisting someone in the process of getting well before punishment but that`s just me

Reactions: Grumpy Grizz

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
interesting views

IMO, at the end of the day, as one who is an addict and alcoholic (sober and clean), nobody could help me until I A) admitted I had a problem and B) was willing to do something about it

It is also irresponsible for me to state emphatically that because of a photo that surfaced for me to form the opinion that Kuznetsov is an addict or has a problem with cocaine. I experimented with the drug many many moons ago but it wasn`t for me even as one who has a terribly addictive personality.

I will almost always fall on the side of assisting someone in the process of getting well before punishment but that`s just me

Punishment is a deterrent. Most people in those situations need to hit rock bottom before they see their need.
(I did)
Take away the rock bottom and your prolonging everything, IMO. That's not fair to the person or the collateral damage in their lives(friends, family, wife, children.)

Alcoholism runs in my family and I am also off and on involved with a local addiction program here in town. As you said, people get help when they see their need. But without consequences, most won't see their need until its too late (we have a high rate of overdose in my current home county, meth is rampant as well.)

I care more about the person than I do organizations. So I am always for dealing with any sort of addiction from the inception(I've seen an ocean enough of the tragedy not to.)

Just my 2 cents from what I've learned.

P.S. - Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, mods.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad