NHL Around the NHL VIII - John Tavares named Captain of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 96824

The Bruins are still in the midst of learning the big mistake that is the Backes signing that has handcuffed the team for years.

If Sweeney signs another Backes I’ll be right there with you...but so far his track record suggests that he learns from his mistakes and learns quickly.

Chiarelli, meanwhile, has consistently made the same mistakes across multiple organizations.

I would also say that the Oilers feel Chiarelli handcuffed the org for years with the Lucic signing, Koskinen signing, overpaying vets, Hall trade, Reinhart trade, Eberle trade, Strome trade...need I go on?

I’d rather be handcuffed with cup runs than the Hiroshima that Chia left behind.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
If Sweeney signs another Backes I’ll be right there with you...but so far his track record suggests that he learns from his mistakes and learns quickly.

Chiarelli, meanwhile, has consistently made the same mistakes across multiple organizations.

I would also say that the Oilers feel Chiarelli handcuffed the org for years with the Lucic signing, Koskinen signing, overpaying vets, Hall trade, Reinhart trade, Eberle trade, Strome trade...need I go on?

I’d rather be handcuffed with cup runs than the Hiroshima that Chia left behind.

by that rational the Bruins should be adding a RW to help Krejci which has been a glaring need for years. Not sure Chia had any signings with the Bruins that were busts as bad as Backes, Beleskey, and Hayes unless I'm mistaken.

Reactions: Strafer

member 96824

by that rational the Bruins should be adding a RW to help Krejci which has been a glaring need for years. Not sure Chia had any signings with the Bruins that were busts as bad as Backes, Beleskey, and Hayes unless I'm mistaken.

Hayes was a trade.

You’re ignoring the last 8 years though. You’ve forgotten the top 4 hole that Chiarelli left unfilled from the moment Seidenberg went down in December 2013 to the day he was fired? I mean..Meszaros?? :laugh:

You’ve forgotten Morris, Chris Kelly, Benoit Pouliot, among other signings. The track record of overpaying everyone and handing out NTC/NMC like crazy?

But mostly, you’ve narrowed it to signings because Chiarelli didn’t hit the FA market too much..his weapon of choice was the trade market.

Chia’s been fired TWICE since the 1 stretch that you choose to focus on.

Neither GM is perfect, but Chia just keeps falling into the same mistakes over and over and over. Today? Absolutely I take Sweeney 10 out of 10 times.

Last edited by a moderator:

member 96824

What did Chia get fired for in Boston? Making dumb trades, overpaying role players, struggling with cap management

What did Chia get fired in Edmonton for?
Making dumb trades, overpaying role players, struggling with cap management.

What could the Wild expect if they hire him?

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
What did Chia get fired for in Boston? Making dumb trades, overpaying role players, struggling with cap management

What did Chia get fired in Edmonton for?

What could the Wild expect if they hire him?

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
the Hayes contract wasn't great, but it was 2.3M on a 71.4M cap. you can sign 31 guys to that contract.

Chia signed the ghost of Chris Kelly to a 3M deal under a 60M cap, with an NTC.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida

Okay let's be fair here:
Backes: most people here at the time of the signing thought it was a good signing but a year too long on the contract. He was brought in because of his character and leadership plus the Bruins needed a center/right winger having let LE walk as a FA. Additionally, the cupboard was bare in providence because of years of bad drafting by Chia and his staff. Sweeney estimated it would be at least 3 - 5 years of drafting and development before prospects would be ready to fill the holes on wing. Backes was intended to bridge that gap. What Sweeney could not predict was injury and illness robbing Backes of his ability to keep pace with the game.

Beleskey: at the time many people thought it was a decent contract. He had a fair first year then complacency, injury, and inability to recover from injury resulting in massive drop of game. Again something that could not be predicted. And similar to Backes brought in to bridge the gap in poor drafting by the previous GM and staff.

Hayes: return part of the Smith and Savard contract dump trade. Hayes previously had a decent year in Florida, but wilted under the hometown scrutiny and pressure of not living up to what now appears to have been unrealistic expectations.

Chia's inability to draft effectively has basically left a 5 - 7 year gap at forward within the Bruins organization. The years in age between Marchand and Pastrnak what player drafted by Chia is playing significant minutes for the Bruins at forward? Heinen? It's a good thing they hit a homerun with Pastrnak or they would really be hurting.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Okay let's be fair here:
Backes: most people here at the time of the signing thought it was a good signing but a year too long on the contract. He was brought in because of his character and leadership plus the Bruins needed a center/right winger having let LE walk as a FA. Additionally, the cupboard was bare in providence because of years of bad drafting by Chia and his staff. Sweeney estimated it would be at least 3 - 5 years of drafting and development before prospects would be ready to fill the holes on wing. Backes was intended to bridge that gap. What Sweeney could not predict was injury and illness robbing Backes of his ability to keep pace with the game.

Beleskey: at the time many people thought it was a decent contract. He had a fair first year then complacency, injury, and inability to recover from injury resulting in massive drop of game. Again something that could not be predicted. And similar to Backes brought in to bridge the gap in poor drafting by the previous GM and staff.

Hayes: return part of the Smith and Savard contract dump trade. Hayes previously had a decent year in Florida, but wilted under the hometown scrutiny and pressure of not living up to what now appears to have been unrealistic expectations.

Chia's inability to draft effectively has basically left a 5 - 7 year gap at forward within the Bruins organization. The years in age between Marchand and Pastrnak what player drafted by Chia is playing significant minutes for the Bruins at forward? Heinen? It's a good thing they hit a homerun with Pastrnak or they would really be hurting.
Great post

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Hayes was a trade.

You’re ignoring the last 8 years though. You’ve forgotten the top 4 hole that Chiarelli left unfilled from the moment Seidenberg went down in December 2013 to the day he was fired? I mean..Meszaros?? :laugh:

You’ve forgotten Morris, Chris Kelly, Benoit Pouliot, among other signings. The track record of overpaying everyone and handing out NTC/NMC like crazy?

But mostly, you’ve narrowed it to signings because Chiarelli didn’t hit the FA market too much..his weapon of choice was the trade market.

Chia’s been fired TWICE since the 1 stretch that you choose to focus on.

Neither GM is perfect, but Chia just keeps falling into the same mistakes over and over and over. Today? Absolutely I take Sweeney 10 out of 10 times.

How was a 1 yr 1.1 million dollar deal where he scored 16 goals a bad signing, isn't that what you want from a 3rd liner? Hardly bad contract for the franchise. Morris was a 1 year deal as well. Backes and Beleskey contacts were much worse and Hayes ended up being a buyout after being signed. Kelly contact hurt but he did play very well up to the point he signed that contract.

One deal that is forgotten about Chia was when orchestrated the Chara Spezza for Yashin deal. I think if he goes to Minny, he can have success again. He was even a GM finalist of the year with Edmonton which I haven't seen mentioned here.

Senators started Chiarelli on path to Bruins' GM job

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/pet...list-for-nhl-gm-of-the-year-award/c-289474670

Last edited:

member 96824

How was a 1 yr 1.1 million dollar deal where he scored 16 goals a bad signing, isn't that what you want from a 3rd liner? Hardly bad contract for the franchise. Morris was a 1 year deal as well. Backes and Beleskey contacts were much worse and Hayes ended up being a buyout after being signed. Kelly contact hurt but he did play very well up to the point he signed that contract.

One deal that is forgotten about Chia was when orchestrated the Chara Spezza for Yashin deal. I think if he goes to Minny, he can have success again. He was even a GM finalist of the year with Edmonton which I haven't seen mentioned here.

Senators started Chiarelli on path to Bruins' GM job

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/pet...list-for-nhl-gm-of-the-year-award/c-289474670

You must not have been watching Benoit Pouliot. That was the dumbest player who’s ever stepped on the ice and consistently costed the Bruins.

Regardless, you’ve decided to have amnesia when it comes to Chia. You’re not open to hearing any differently, despite him losing his job with the Bruins and the Oilers. Odd hill to die on, but then again I’ve seen you argue that the Bruins are screwed cause the Habs got Ben Chiarot so I guess I can’t be that surprised.

Chia was bad here after the cup. Chia was bad in Edmonton. With both teams he made the exact same mistakes, almost to a T, and it’s the reason he no longer works in hockey.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
You must not have been watching Benoit Pouliot. That was the dumbest player who’s ever stepped on the ice and consistently costed the Bruins.

Regardless, you’ve decided to have amnesia when it comes to Chia. You’re not open to hearing any differently, despite him losing his job with the Bruins and the Oilers. Odd hill to die on, but then again I’ve seen you argue that the Bruins are screwed cause the Habs got Ben Chiarot so I guess I can’t be that surprised.

Chia was bad here after the cup. Chia was bad in Edmonton. With both teams he made the exact same mistakes, almost to a T, and it’s the reason he no longer works in hockey.

If the worst signing you can point to is chris Kelly I dont think he left the Bruins in bad shape contract wise. Beleskey Hayes and Backes could all end up being buy outs. Pouliot had some good games and forgettable games, about what I expect from a 1 million dollar player.

Chia also went to another final in 2013 so being bad after the cup run is wrong. Torey Krug who was a great signing made a huge impact that playoff run

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
If the worst signing you can point to is chris Kelly I dont think he left the Bruins in bad shape contract wise. Beleskey Hayes and Backes could all end up being buy outs. Pouliot had some good games and forgettable games, about what I expect from a 1 million dollar player.

Hayes wasn’t a buyout and Backes almost certainly will not end up being a buyout

member 96824

If the worst signing you can point to is chris Kelly I dont think he left the Bruins in bad shape contract wise

Right...that’s why they were at the cap limit and missed the playoffs his final season, because he managed it so well.

Chia’s issue was the overall collective. A $800k too much here for Greg Campbell, $2M there for Chris Kelly, $500k here too much for Shawn Thornton, $500k there too much for McQuaid, etc. etc. that all added ups

Again, Chiarelli was fired for bad trades, overpaying role players, and mismanaging the cap. The same thing he did in Edmonton, the same thing he’ll if any team ever wants him again.

(The draft is also a good point, but hard to point the finger at the GM when so much of it is scout driven)

And my main point was that Sweeney learns from his mistakes, Chiarelli does not. All you’ve done is point to the original mistakes that Sweeney made and ignore the repeated ones that Chia made.

What’s sort of funny is in the Backes signing thread, I was the one ripping Sweeney for the deal while KrejciMVP liked it at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

member 96824

I’m trying to imagine ripping Sweeney and defending Chiarelli in 2019 when Chiarelli’s edmonton tenure looks like this:

Lucic $6m in a deal amazingly that’s worse than Backes
Overpaying for Reider, koskinen, Kassian, Benning, Brodziak

Traded Hall for a lackluster return
Traded Eberle for a lackluster return
Traded Strome for a lackluster return

Among so much more

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I’m trying to imagine ripping Sweeney and defending Chiarelli in 2019 when Chiarelli’s edmonton tenure looks like this:

Among so much more

That trade for an already bust instead of drafting Barzal etc was another highlight.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Among so much more
I'm trying to imagine why you would continue to attempt to argue with someone who obviously doesn't listen to anything factual, won't admit when he's wrong on the subject (or is just lying) and constantly buries himself alive under his own arguments. :laugh:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I'm trying to imagine why you would continue to attempt to argue with someone who obviously doesn't listen to anything factual, won't admit when he's wrong on the subject (or is just lying) and constantly buries himself alive under his own arguments. :laugh:

I tried to make an argument for chia as a good GM and his performance vs Sweeney, thats all.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
There has never been a GM who has traded as many top end players for poor returns as Chia. AINEC.
Imagine what the return for Pastrnak would have been if Chiarelli hadn't been fired.

Sweeney is far from perfect, but I am thankful daily that Chia isn't around to f*** this franchise any harder than he already managed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad