NHL Around the NHL VIII - John Tavares named Captain of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Mental facilities are expensive on budgets. They have been low-key closing them across the US and just dumping the patients in the streets as homeless. In my current state they are pushing back on that trend and building group homes of 4-5 people with small care facilities to watch over them. Newly build places that look unassuming. From the little I know of any data recorded on this project it seems to be working.

Mental hospitals have had a very bad history all over the world. Living conditions and atrocities have been the norm. So to avoid media and lawsuits and just to cut moneypit costs they are closing them down when they get old and simply not providing any replacements.

How The Loss Of U.S. Psychiatric Hospitals Led To A Mental Health Crisis

It`s truly sad and maddening at the same time. I can`t comment on the state of the situation in the USA as you can but here in Canada, while the government does a reasonable job, it`s still well below the standard of care they could be offering those with mental health and addiction issues.

What`s been sweeping across the country is the harm reduction model where the "goal" is to decrease the amount an addict/alcoholic uses in the course of the day. Organizations who embrace the HR model get more funding and it`s based on statistics.

I am no doctor but am intimately familiar with addiction and I was asked to speak at a local college in Halifax on addiction and I had a bit of heated discussion with one of the most ignorant MLA`s (Member of Legislative Assembly) who couldn`t stop beating her drum at how much of a success one program was having with the harm reduction model.

She used an example of one alcoholic who had drastically decreased her drinking from over 16 drinks a day down to about 10 a day. I said that while it`s never going to be a negative thing if someone manages to drink less, the bottom line is this, 10 drinks is still 10 drinks and I asked her a question to which she had absolutely no answer. I asked what was she drinking when she was consuming 16 beverages or more a day? Was she drinking 16 beers or glasses of wine or what have you? I then asked what is she drinking now? I too "technically" cut down on the number of beverages I consumed near the end of my drinking, the problem was, I shifted from beer and/or wine to pounding doubles of scotch into my guts so did I really benefit from "reducing harm"?

Anyways, I was irate when I left but at the end of the day, my experience as a clean and sober person for 14+ years is this, we can have all of the absolute top notch programs in the world, we can pour endless amounts of money into those programs, if the addict or person themselves are not willing/able to bring themselves to accepting that help, they likely won`t get better.

I was part of the PI (Public Information) team in Halifax , asked often to speak to teachers(and students), doctors about addiction and the questions I was asked and/or the responses I received when I asked them a question about their knowledge in the area of addictions were appalling.

Somewhere on my computer I still have a list of 20 government funded programs that money was/is being poured into that are absolutely ridiculous which I`ll try to find, there was one study that cost the taxpayers over 5 million dollars as the government issued a study to find if we needed to change the background color of roadside signs.....and that was one of the stronger studies, sickening

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
In fairness to Leafs fans last time they were in a Cup Finals the Rat Pack (Sinatra, Martin, Davis, Lawford, Bishop) were alive and well
^LIKE

I don't see them getting over the hump unless some serious studs on ELCs show up. But they will make the playoffs which is a big deal for them.

Honestly I was a little down on Sweeney in late June/early July because I saw some good fits pass us by. I wanted a push in your chips offseason like after the last Cup loss pull your trousers down for incentive laden Iggy and get a vet like Loui type push. But that ended up being a terrible offseason when you think about it. Even if it lead to a President's Trophy.

Buying low on some third liners who can build a sand paper third line (as opposed to the terrible Heinen/JFK/Donato crap we saw last year) sounds good to me last playoffs I quietly wanted another tough line even if Coyle and Mojo were great.

Save the money for the blue line its championship level if Carlo and McAvoy don't miss any regular season games we won't be taking a step backwards barring injuries and the D will be better than they were last year. Elite D group and the best goalie in the NHL is a good combo.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Mental facilities are expensive on budgets. They have been low-key closing them across the US and just dumping the patients in the streets as homeless. In my current state they are pushing back on that trend and building group homes of 4-5 people with small care facilities to watch over them. Newly build places that look unassuming. From the little I know of any data recorded on this project it seems to be working.

Mental hospitals have had a very bad history all over the world. Living conditions and atrocities have been the norm. So to avoid media and lawsuits and just to cut moneypit costs they are closing them down when they get old and simply not providing any replacements.

The combination of the less than savory reputation of "insane asylums" (deserved or not) among the public, the pulling of funding by Reagan and others, and the "good intentions with bad results" trend towards deinstitutionalization making involuntary commitment almost impossible, has made for the perfect storm of misery for the most vulnerable among us. Lots of fingers to point for that one, and not many are willing to say it hasn't worked.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
The combination of the less than savory reputation of "insane asylums" (deserved or not) among the public, the pulling of funding by Reagan and others, and the "good intentions with bad results" trend towards deinstitutionalization making involuntary commitment almost impossible, has made for the perfect storm of misery for the most vulnerable among us. Lots of fingers to point for that one, and not many are willing to say it hasn't worked.

Your right.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NY_ND.jpg

Officials approved on Thursday a proposal for a controversial billion-dollar arena at Belmont Park that would become the New York Islanders next home — paving the way for construction to begin, a report said.
The $1.3 billion proposal for a 19,000-seat arena and a 250-room hotel got the green light from all six board members of the Empire State Development Corporation after a meeting in Manhattan, Newsday reported.

The development will fill 43 acres of state-owned property at Belmont Park, according to the report.
The owners of the Islanders, the Mets and a private development company will build the stadium.

“We are proud of the open, public process this project has gone through over the last two years, strengthened by the input and support of community members who made their voices heard and helped improve the plan, resulting in today’s positive outcome,” board chairman Howard Zemsky said after the approval, according to Newsday.

The new arena is slated to open by 2021.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

I realize that. I have some info on that here in Massachusetts since i have family members who work for the state (director/inspector of nurses and facilities). I know not to get political so I won't but, have heard information about what happened here under a former governor and his wife's involvement in closing facilities and putting patients out in the street. All I can say is the old adage: "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater."

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Don't know if the Leafs could or would match that.

I'm cautious - the Isles could easily regress, and those 4 first round picks could be a gold mine for Toronto.

Doubt it but its not Colorado I think Toronto takes the picks.

Tavares for Marner is a pretty fair trade and give me the younger guy.

Surely Ladd gets bought out.

I think the Isles have to spend to the cap to be taken seriously and fill their new building. Especially at NYC prices. They could stay in Nassua and fill that barn as a smaller market club but if they push the issue and use all their cap room that will go a long way with the fans. Look at the turnaround Carolina has had with regards to fan support a good playoff run combined with ownership reaching into their pocketbooks is a winning combo.

Reactions: Aeroforce

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
The enemy of my enemy is my friend . . . It would be an interesting scenario if the NYI did such an offer and Marner accepted. I am sure Toronto and their fans would squirm at such a situation. But in some ways it could be a blessing in disguise as if would help them relieve some of their cap burden. So with that it mind I'm not sure I would appreciate Toronto having more wiggle room with the cap.

Reactions: missingchicklet

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
The enemy of my enemy is my friend . . . It would be an interesting scenario if the NYI did such an offer and Marner accepted. I am sure Toronto and their fans would squirm at such a situation. But in some ways it could be a blessing in disguise as if would help them relieve some of their cap burden. So with that it mind I'm not sure I would appreciate Toronto having more wiggle room with the cap.

4 firsts and some wiggle room would not be the worst thing at all and long term thats money for 2 D men.

Would be a great deal for both teams honestly.

Reactions: missingchicklet

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I completely agree with you guys about the Marner situation. As a Bs fan I am happy to see Marner stay with the Leafs and make that star-studded, top-heavy team continue to ice an unbalanced squad and stay saddled with cap issues with very little wiggle room. I certainly do not want to see them gain 4 firsts and additionally have space to make a more well-rounded team. Marner is arguably the best talent on the Leafs, but they will be no slouch offensively if he goes elsewhere and the Leafs have room to upgrade in other areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad