OT: Around the NHL | Two Weeks Until The Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean, seeing Ovechkin win the cup is cathartic.

That being said, imagine having to see 2008 and having to wait until 2016 to see Sid and Malkin exorcise their demons.

We are so god damn lucky.
It's nice to see Ovy win, that's for sure, even Backstrom.

But the rest of that team is filled with people that are just hot garbage. TJ Oshie and his father having Alzheimers and him mentioning it made me really try to feel sorry for him, but then that same moron will go around playing dirty and cheap, makes it really really hard to feel sorry for him, which I don't.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Someone else in our division finally has the target on their backs for 82 games. Let's see they handle it. We'll still be played hard because of 87/71. But it won't be as bad as what the Caps are going to face.

Let me just say that I wouldn't be all that surprised if they can't hack it and pull an LA Kings. The obstruction they got away with all playoffs long isn't going to fly in the reg season.

Now that the monkey is off their back, maybe they don't even qualify for the post season.

I think their season will go as Kuznetsov's season goes. I think he's a top 3-5 player in this league, but he's never truly faced an entire season of teams trying to shut him down. He either goes Crosby's/Kane's way, or Benn's way. It will be interesting to see.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Someone else in our division finally has the target on their backs for 82 games. Let's see they handle it. We'll still be played hard because of 87/71. But it won't be as bad as what the Caps are going to face.

Let me just say that I wouldn't be all that surprised if they can't hack it and pull an LA Kings. The obstruction they got away with all playoffs long isn't going to fly in the reg season.

Now that the monkey is off their back, maybe they don't even qualify for the post season.

I think their season will go as Kuznetsov's season goes. I think he's a top 3-5 player in this league, but he's never truly faced an entire season of teams trying to shut him down. He either goes Crosby's/Kane's way, or Benn's way. It will be interesting to see.

That and the contracts they will need to dole out to Carlsson and Head Shot Artist.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I remember posts in 2016 with rival fans saying, “well, they got lucky. At least they won’t do this again”

I don’t wanna be that guy. Keeping my fingers crossed.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I remember posts in 2016 with rival fans saying, “well, they got lucky. At least they won’t do this again”

I don’t wanna be that guy. Keeping my fingers crossed.
You seem to remember a lot of '16. How Phil played better than Crosby and was the real MVP of those playoffs. And now you're essentially pointing to a repeat for Caps. Maybe you're not really a Pen's fan?

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
People that thought the Caps fans were insufferable before, it's going to be even worse now.

The biggest joke is that the Caps gooned their way to the cup, if we had a Tom Wilson on our team, we'd get fined and suspended heavily for it. But some how, any other team that has morons like that, seem to skate away with it.

Such trash.
Like Steve Downie who got penalized when he wasn't even dressed for a game.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
You seem to remember a lot of '16. How Phil played better than Crosby and was the real MVP of those playoffs. And now you're essentially pointing to a repeat for Caps. Maybe you're not really a Pen's fan?

I never said Kessel played better than Crosby anywhere and I also never said they were repeating, I offered a warning to anyone thinking it can’t happen that the Pens made other fans look stupid and to be careful and THEN I said fingers crossed that they don’t.

You’ve certainly formulated an interesting narrative in that you’ve taken everything I have said, and have then accused me of saying the opposite. Maybe go to bed and try again tomorrow.

Reactions: AirJordan

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
So, for the third year in a row Pens-Caps was the de facto Stanley Cup final. Congrats to the Caps, this year they were a VERY different team, especially in their mind set, no meltdown like in the past, even after being 0-2 with the CBJ and after losing 3 in a row with Tampa. Yes they were lucky (some goals that stay out of Holtby crease are mind-blowing), but nobody defeat them, so enjoy it and see you next season.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Well at least there's one positive:

Next time Pens stars play against Caps like they don't care, and lose, and I bash them for poor performance - you won't be able to answer "Who cares, Caps have 0 Cups anyway!"

If this leads to Pens being more motivated and accountable - then it's a good thing.

Reactions: domaug

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I can't stand the Caps. I hate 'em. That being said, Ovechkin is one of the best pure goal scorers ever to play this sport, ever. I think he can be a punk and toe the line of dirty too often, but he's undeniably, even by the most avid Caps-haters, one of the best ever to play hockey.

But Tom Wilson? That dude's a colossal pile of peanut butter-consistency shit. It's a damn shame his name's on the Cup.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You like Ovechkin..we get it. He's still tied for ES strength playoff points with Crosby, despite playing 2 more rounds lol. Guenztel has more ES points than Ovechkin for crying out loud.

Kuztnesov put that team on his back, and if you argue otherwise, you're wrong. He was the straw that stirred the drink, with Holtby a close 2nd.

Just because Ovechkin decides that he should put at least a little bit of effort into backchecking for once in his career, (and even then he was often suspect in that regard in these playoffs) it doesn't mean he deserves a Conn Smythe.

And for anyone to argue that it's even remotely close to the same as the supposed Phil/Sid controversy in '16, well that's just plain stupidity. That one could've went either way. This one shouldn't have been close.
For you to argue that it's not close is just wrong. See I can do it too. Seriously though there's always a legit argument for the guy who lead the playoffs in goals or in points. Either of the two were a good choice.

Last edited:

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
As Tom Petty once said, "Even the losers get lucky sometimes."

**** this season and the group of cheap shot artists that won the Cup. Should have given the Smythe to Wilson.
'if you can't beat them, injure them all'

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
I have to stay off the main board, it is going to be a cesspool this summer.

I remember when Toews won 3 Cups and one Conn Smythe to Crosby's one Cup so in main board logic that made Toews as good, if not better than Crosby.

So now Crosby has won 3 Cups and 2 Conn Smythe and since Ovi just won one of each main board logic states that he is better than Crosby too.

So in 2015 Cups > regular season awards

But in 2018 regular season awards > Cups

Am I doing this right?

Reactions: domaug

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016

I remember when Toews won 3 Cups and one Conn Smythe to Crosby's one Cup so in main board logic that made Toews as good, if not better than Crosby.

So now Crosby has won 3 Cups and 2 Conn Smythe and since Ovi just won one of each main board logic states that he is better than Crosby too.

Am I doing this right?
No one likes Crosby, everyone loves Ovi.

Simple as that.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Am I doing this right?

Logic was never a factor from the start. Crosby’s worst season had him outproduce Ovechkin in what many are calling his “best season” either since 2010 or ever (which is absurd). Good for OV, he bounced back after last year and changed his legacy. As for how he stacks up against Crosby specifically, this didn’t change much,

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
I mean, seeing Ovechkin win the cup is cathartic.

That being said, imagine having to see 2008 and having to wait until 2016 to see Sid and Malkin exorcise their demons.

We are so god damn lucky.

You Pens fans are and even as a Caps fans I have never gotten into that Sid vs Ovie crap. Love both guys and I'm old enough to appreciate talent when I see it. Plus it's 5-1 for you guys and as a Caps/Leafs fan (sinces 1982!!!) I honestly thought neither of those two would ever win a Cup while I was alive. :laugh:

P.S. My account handle was "ForzaItalia" which some of you might remember me by. I lost that password so I created this account. I would post here often and you guys were always great to me.

Oh, and Sid deserved both of his Smythe's IMO.:nod:

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Sid and Guentzel finish tied for 5th in playoffs scoring. Haha.

Sounds about right. Letang and Fleury both responsible for the Caps winning a cup. Should have been packaged years ago. We probably 3peat without Letang and even if we dont. Real team plays Caps in SCF. Lost Fleury for nothing, win a Cup without Letang, Letang cost us a series against Caps, Fleury has typical mental midget breakdown against Caps in SCF, and Caps win a Cup because of all of that. Ever been a worse mismanagement/blow back for not trading some players because the fans like them too much? This is what some fans get for not letting GMs do their job and getting too attached to players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad