Around The NHL - True Gritty(ness)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
^Took 15 months to sell and they had to come down 30% off their original asking price...I feel their pain (sort of), as that's near as makes no difference exactly what I went through selling my house 8 years ago, although with the decimal point slid over one....

Also, did anyone else recognize the listing agent as Arie Luyendyk Jr, the IndyCar driver? Well, tried to be, anyway, was not nearly as successful as his dad in that endeavor.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Oilers are a joke though.
Oilers weren't a joke before the start of last years season, predicted to be at least in WCF. This year, I think the Leafs or the Jets will miss the playoffs. It seems like there is a major disappointment for a Canada team every year. Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton have had their turn the last few years, Leafs or Jets are next:)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Oilers weren't a joke before the start of last years season, predicted to be at least in WCF. This year, I think the Leafs or the Jets will miss the playoffs. It seems like there is a major disappointment for a Canada team every year. Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton have had their turn the last few years, Leafs or Jets are next:)
Edmonton got there the year before with half the team having career years, the Jets and Leafs are not built around one player doing the heavy lifting. I think you will be disappointed in your prediction this year.

Last edited:

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
^Took 15 months to sell and they had to come down 30% off their original asking price...I feel their pain (sort of), as that's near as makes no difference exactly what I went through selling my house 8 years ago, although with the decimal point slid over one....

Also, did anyone else recognize the listing agent as Arie Luyendyk Jr, the IndyCar driver? Well, tried to be, anyway, was not nearly as successful as his dad in that endeavor.

The Bachelor!

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You sold a 27-million dollar home?! ;) Are you the new mystery investor?!

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Edmonton got there the year before with half the team having career years, the Jets and Leafs are not built around one player doing the heavy lifting. I think you will be disappointed in your prediction this year.
Easy to say in hind site. Canada teams get over hyped when they have a good year, Leafs/jets are no different then the Oilers. Bad goal tending, a few injuries and Jets/leafs could miss.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Easy to say in hind site. Canada teams get over hyped when they have a good year, Leafs/jets are no different then the Oilers. Bad goal tending, a few injuries and Jets/leafs could miss.
You really should take a look at the depth the Leafs and Jets have at most positions and then then take a look similarly for the Oilers. They aren't comparable.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You really should take a look at the depth the Leafs and Jets have at most positions and then then take a look similarly for the Oilers. They aren't comparable.
I think the Leafs and Jets will be real good this year, and Edmonton should be better, but it will depend on their goalies, especially the Oilers and Leafs because of their D.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't disagree with you, both teams look better then the Oilers now based on last year. Based on the year before, almost nobody thought the Leafs or jets would be better then the Oilers. A similar argument last year had the Oilers in the WCF. Look at what Vegas, did, they were suppose to be last place.

My point is that teams that are in the playoffs consistently over time are more reliable picks to be in the playoffs again. There have been plenty of one year wonders that had everything go right for them, had a playoff run, and then failed the next year. It could easily be the Leafs and/or the Jets this year.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don't disagree with you, both teams look better then the Oilers now based on last year. Based on the year before, almost nobody thought the Leafs or jets would be better then the Oilers. A similar argument last year had the Oilers in the WCF. Look at what Vegas, did, they were suppose to be last place.

My point is that teams that are in the playoffs consistently over time are more reliable picks to be in the playoffs again. There have been plenty of one year wonders that had everything go right for them, had a playoff run, and then failed the next year. It could easily be the Leafs and/or the Jets this year.
I'm not talking about comparing anything to previous years, I'm talking about all 3 teams. Take a look at the Leafs and Jets right now and the Oilers of last season. If you can't see that they aren't comparable I don't know how to explain it to you?? Except for Mcdavid the Oilers don't have a single comparable position that is better than either of the Leafs or Jets. Not one.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I'm not talking about comparing anything to previous years, I'm talking about all 3 teams. Take a look at the Leafs and Jets right now and the Oilers of last season. If you can't see that they aren't comparable I don't know how to explain it to you?? Except for Mcdavid the Oilers don't have a single comparable position that is better than either of the Leafs or Jets. Not one.
I disagree. The Oilers 103 points versus the Leafs 105 points last year is very similar, both young teams, and no, the leafs and jets don't have way better players compared to the Oilers of a year ago. How did Vegas look on paper start of last year by the way? Colorado/Calgary/Ottawa/Montreal/Oilers were all in the same place in years past, one really good year, brochure looked good, then major fail. One successful year with a young team doesn't guarantee or even predict future success.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I disagree. The Oilers 103 points versus the Leafs 105 points last year is very similar, both young teams, and no, the leafs and jets don't have way better players compared to the Oilers of a year ago. How did Vegas look on paper start of last year by the way? Colorado/Calgary/Ottawa/Montreal/Oilers were all in the same place in years past, one really good year, brochure looked good, then major fail. One successful year with a young team doesn't guarantee or even predict future success.
Name me one Oiler by position that is better than comparable Leaf ? Just one. Other than McDavid

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Name me one Oiler by position that is better than comparable Leaf ? Just one. Other than McDavid
McDavid is starting his fourth year. Man does time fly. McDavid said he is sick of losing and frustrated. Could it be possible the Oilers don't win the SC with McDavid?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
McDavid is starting his fourth year. Man does time fly. McDavid said he is sick of losing and frustrated. Could it be possible the Oilers don't win the SC with McDavid?
They have some decent kids in the pipeline, they shouldn't react by trading the future for some present help. I don't know if they will ever win but having Mcdavid gives them a realistic chance most years going forward.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
What will your reply be when the Oilers have 90 points and a better record then the Leafs or Jets next year or if the Oilers make the playoffs and the Jets or Leafs miss? Jets/Leafs aren't locks.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
What will your reply be when the Oilers have 90 points and a better record then the Leafs or Jets next year or if the Oilers make the playoffs and the Jets or Leafs miss? Jets/Leafs aren't locks.
It's not about what the Oilers do going forward, it's about what could be expected after two seasons ago. The Oilers are a very flawed team who has a good season with everyone overachieving. The Leafs and Jets would need catastrophic issues to collapse as both are built much better than the Oilers. As an example the Leafs have 2 number one centers and a good number 2 center. The Oilers have Mcdavid and an average number 2 in Nuge. They don't even play Draisaitl at center?? The Leafs have at least 6 quality wingers, the Oilers have almost none. I don't think I need to go on.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It's not about what the Oilers do going forward, it's about what could be expected after two seasons ago. The Oilers are a very flawed team who has a good season with everyone overachieving. The Leafs and Jets would need catastrophic issues to collapse as both are built much better than the Oilers. As an example the Leafs have 2 number one centers and a good number 2 center. The Oilers have Mcdavid and an average number 2 in Nuge. They don't even play Draisaitl at center?? The Leafs have at least 6 quality wingers, the Oilers have almost none. I don't think I need to go on.
So what, and like I said, looks good in the brochure but both are one year success stories so far. Both can easily can come off the tracks for many reasons. It looks good on paper but until either team succeeds for more then 1 year in a row they are unproven and could fail. Maybe everything went right for both the leafs and Jets last year, if they miss the playoffs, this year, that will be the mantra.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So what, and like I said, looks good in the brochure but both are one year success stories so far. Both can easily can come off the tracks for many reasons. It looks good on paper but until either team succeeds for more then 1 year in a row they are unproven and could fail. Maybe everything went right for both the leafs and Jets last year, if they miss the playoffs, this year, that will be the mantra.
Guess the Leafs are safe as they have made last two playoffs and I seriously doubt they are at risk to miss anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad