Around the NHL Thread - Found the Missing #16

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Just saw that the Leafs gave up 29 shots against in the first period alone tonight. Not sure what Babcock's master plan is here.

The Leafs are infinitely talented on the front end but with speed their defense can be easily beaten. Carolina took all the space away from the Leafs defensive core and they crumbled. Even if the Leafs traded Nylander for Slavin, Pesce, or some other D-man it is doubtful if it would be enough to shore up the weaknesses on the back end

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The Leafs are infinitely talented on the front end but with speed their defense can be easily beaten. Carolina took all the space away from the Leafs defensive core and they crumbled. Even if the Leafs traded Nylander for Slavin, Pesce, or some other D-man it is doubtful if it would be enough to shore up the weaknesses on the back end

Any properly good team will beat them in the playoffs just like what has happened the last two years.

The team is more than just 1 dman away, they have Morgan Reilly and then no one else.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Any properly good team will beat them in the playoffs just like what has happened the last two years.

The team is more than just 1 dman away, they have Morgan Reilly and then no one else.

I will counter by saying if they had both Matthews and Nylander in right now, I'm not sure they'd have to worry about defense when you're scoring 6 goals a game. That said, the playoffs are a different animal, and that weakness should get exposed.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
People on the main board are calling Wideman a potential PP QB... his stat line says otherwise. I don't really watch the Sens though so what would I know.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Apparently the Sens didn’t like his comments.

I don't know which team has the larger tire fire the Oilers or Sens. Obviously Wideman's value evaporated after the video for them to accept a sixth round pick heck Kulak garnered Valiev a third round pick and a journeyman for the AHL. The sad part in Edmonton is that he might vie for second pairing duties.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I wonder what Chris is going to say about the Oilers coaching when he takes an Uber with his new teammates

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don't know which team has the larger tire fire the Oilers or Sens. Obviously Wideman's value evaporated after the video for them to accept a sixth round pick heck Kulak garnered Valiev a third round pick and a journeyman for the AHL. The sad part in Edmonton is that he might vie for second pairing duties.
Sad commentary on the state of the Oiler's defense. So sad... :pickle:

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I really hope Nylander signs a 1 year deal in Europe and tells the Leafs to get bent. That'd be too hilarious.

That 6.9M figure is probably around the number Tre would be looking for here in Calgary. Essentially Gaudreau's number with inflation added for the cap increases.

If Nylander wants more the I hope the Leafs don't trade him and he plays in Europe.

Draisaitl's contract in Edmonton is still hard enough to counter in contract negotiations but to add a second it would give many RFA's ammunition to ask for stupid money. Connor, Matthews, Eichel, Kane and maybe Seguin deserve money over 8 but the rest that have signed for that kind of money are not that unique. Tavares is over paid as is Price, Toews, Kopitar, and even Jaime Benn. Teams that break that barrier with marginal players do more harm than good. Price is the best goalie in the world but his value over the tier of good goalies is not in that 3-4 million a year. LA, Chicago, Pitt (to an extent) and Boston have been killed by over valuing a players contributions to a team.

Calgary this year is showing how depth by a bunch of middling salaries is probably a better approach. I really hope in a couple years when Johnny and Mony come back up for negotiations Tre considers that. I think Stan Bowman in Chicago made his largest mistake when he signed Toews and Kane to that kind of money. Kane may earn it but Toews does not. ROR could have been had for less and even when Toews as at the top of his game ROR is right beside him.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
That 6.9M figure is probably around the number Tre would be looking for here in Calgary. Essentially Gaudreau's number with inflation added for the cap increases.

If Nylander wants more the I hope the Leafs don't trade him and he plays in Europe.

Draisaitl's contract in Edmonton is still hard enough to counter in contract negotiations but to add a second it would give many RFA's ammunition to ask for stupid money. Connor, Matthews, Eichel, Kane and maybe Seguin deserve money over 8 but the rest that have signed for that kind of money are not that unique. Tavares is over paid as is Price, Toews, Kopitar, and even Jaime Benn. Teams that break that barrier with marginal players do more harm than good. Price is the best goalie in the world but his value over the tier of good goalies is not in that 3-4 million a year. LA, Chicago, Pitt (to an extent) and Boston have been killed by over valuing a players contributions to a team.

Calgary this year is showing how depth by a bunch of value salaries is probably a better approach. I really hope in a couple years when Johnny and Mony come back up for negotiations Tre considers that. I think Stan Bowman in Chicago made his largest mistake when he signed Toews and Kane to that kind of money. Kane may earn it but Toews does not. ROR could have been had for less and even when Toews as at the top of his game ROR is right beside him.

The more spread out approach is really starting to show. Instead of paying McDavid and Drai, we have Gaurdeau, Monahan, Gio, Lindholm for roughly 4 million more than the two Oiler players...I know who I'd choose to have. Having a McDavid is a luxury that would be any well managed team's wet dream, fortunately Edmonton has invested it's cap poorly, and honestly Drai got overpaid (he had that monster post season). But you can also build a contender with depth, the knights showed that last year. Our core is young, Tkachuk is going to elite status, Bennett is humming, and Rittich is en fuego (fingers crossed). Combine that with almost zero from Neal, who could still get going, we are looking pretty damn good. That's not to mention the very solid play of all our D and outside of Gio, these guys are all relatively young.

Haven't been this pumped as a flames fan in a very long time.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
At the end of the 2nd period its still 0-0 in the Oiler-Ducks game.
Typical Hitchcock hockey... slow and boring as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad