Around the NHL: PTO Season Becomes Waiver Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I had the Oiler-Wing game on the other screen and while the Pens were winning it, EKane was trying to punch Larkin which somehow resulted in an Oiler PP.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Pittsburgh is going to make the playoffs on "loser points", aren't they?

Or they will just win it in OT on some sort of f***ing shit storm fire drill.
Honestly, I don't see the issue with loser points. It's not like picking up "wins" in overtime is winning actual hockey games either.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
No help in the standings last night. That is two nights in a row where Sabres sit and watch teams bank points. They can't come back flat.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It's frustrating that the teams we need to lose continue to win, but I take solace in that fact that we have the youngest team in the league and our future looks way the f*** brighter than damn near every team we're battling with right now.

It may not happen this year, but if the trend continues...we'll be passing these teams pretty easily in the next year.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I had the Oiler-Wing game on the other screen and while the Pens were winning it, EKane was trying to punch Larkin which somehow resulted in an Oiler PP.
You would think that a lot of relaxation therapy would have the opposite effect...

:sarcasm:

Honestly, I don't see the issue with loser points. It's not like picking up "wins" in overtime is winning actual hockey games either.
I am a fan of the 3-2-1-0 points format from a logic POV. It probably wouldn't change the standings too much. But, making every game worth 3 points that get divvied up between the two teams, as opposed to some games are worth 2 points and others are worth 3 points, just makes sense to me.

:dunno:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

11. As US Secretary of Labour Marty Walsh prepares to take over the NHLPA, the thing heard most over the last week was, “No matter what anyone thinks, we have to present a united front.” A fractured union gets crushed in negotiations, and, in hockey, we’ve seen that before.

Because the search committee did a great job of keeping Walsh’s name private until last week, questions and concerns spilled out very quickly. First, there were revelations about Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs’ donations to Walsh. The Boston Globe reported the Red Sox, principally owned by John Henry (who added the Pittsburgh Penguins to his portfolio), contributed $10,000 to Walsh’s 2014 mayoral inauguration and transition. As someone who isn’t crazy about politicians of any party, I find that world greasy and expect nothing less. But those around the NHL/NHLPA long enough to remember the Alan Eagleson days are extremely sensitive about this. They desire information giving them reason to believe this won’t be the same thing; they want the process to slow down, to be convinced the players aren’t rushing into a mistake.

A nasty, anonymous email was circulated to agents last week arguing against the hire. Initially, it tried to rally support for Mike Gillis, but then removed his name. (I can’t imagine Gillis would have wanted his name on that.) Whatever the case, the selection committee pressed forward, conveying excitement about Walsh. That enthusiasm has convinced the rest of the players to back the choice.

12. Another connection for Marty Walsh: his chief labour counsel in Boston was Alexis Finneran Tkachuk, from the hugely successful Fitzgerald/McNeil/Tkachuk family.

13. Walsh’s most important job will be getting to know the rank-and-file, and he should immediately dedicate himself to doing that. While he may be a hockey fan, he doesn’t intimately know this group. On his way out, current Executive Director Donald Fehr warned the next few years (heading into CBA discussions) will be extremely challenging. Look at the ages of the selection committee: Kyle Okposo and Kevin Shattenkirk (34), Ian Cole and Sam Gagner (33), Nate Schmidt (31), Justin Faulk and Zach Hyman (30). What are the wishes of the younger players, who will form the backbone of the union for years to come?

14. Heard that one of the other serious contenders for NHLPA leadership was CFLPA Executive Director Brian Ramsay. He played a decade as an offensive lineman with Toronto, Hamilton and Edmonton, before negotiating two CBAs between players and the CFL.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
15. 2023 Hobey Baker nominee Jackson LaCombe from the University of Minnesota has indicated he will sign with Anaheim once this season concludes. One of the NCAA’s top-scoring defenders, LaCombe — taken 39th overall in 2019 — could have become a free agent this summer. There would have been plenty of interest. That’s a good keep for the Ducks.

I wonder if we'll hear some info on Johnson soon too.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

I still think they should go to a 3-2-1 points system. Every game is worth three points, and you can get all three with a regulation win, two with an OT win, and one with an OT loss. Nothing if you lose in regulation. Makes playing for the win in regulation more important and eliminates these magical extra points that are created out of thin air if a game goes to OT.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I still think they should go to a 3-2-1 points system. Every game is worth three points, and you can get all three with a regulation win, two with an OT win, and one with an OT loss. Nothing if you lose in regulation. Makes playing for the win in regulation more important and eliminates these magical extra points that are created out of thin air if a game goes to OT.
It's the logical route, but the NHL went to the current system because they wanted to artificially compress the standings, so that more teams (ie more ticket and TV revenue) are in contention for playoffs toward the end of the season. The league won't turn away from that, as frustrating as it is.

Reactions: Ehran

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I don't think most people have a problem with it. They have a problem with some games being worth 2 points and some games being worth 3. Going to the 3-2-1-0 model fix this and would also make teams push for the win when the game is tied with a couple minutes left rather than just skating around and waiting for OT like so many teams seem to do.

Nice little fun fact of the day.

He is absolutely killing my fantasy team right now. Thankfully my other C is Tage Thompson.

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I don't think most people have a problem with it. They have a problem with some games being worth 2 points and some games being worth 3. Going to the 3-2-1-0 model fix this and would also make teams push for the win when the game is tied with a couple minutes left rather than just skating around and waiting for OT like so many teams seem to do.
I don't care for that either, but I absolutely do have a problem with giving teams full credit (or full credit excepting a tiebreaker) for what is essentially a gimmick. 3-on-3 might be a better gimmick than the shootout, but that's still what it is.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

He is absolutely killing my fantasy team right now. Thankfully my other C is Tage Thompson.
Trade him for Tuch and Krebs.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Two games on tonight. I thought I would watch a little.

One is blacked out for me and the other in on TNT. I only have ESPN+. 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad