Around the NHL: PTO Season Becomes Waiver Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Dunn, Borgen, and Soucy will all get substantial raises.

If Dunn comes in under 7M, it would be an absolute steal rivaling the Slavin deal Francis negotiated.

Sprong should get a big raise too should they keep him around. (Which they definitely should).

The Kraken are my local team here, so I watch just about all their games. I am not just speculating here. Soucy is good, but he is not a major cog in their D. They brought in Schultz and soucy was never given a fair shot. He's going to cash in as a UFA D that is huge, smooth skating, can play both sides and can play physical.

The value of bringing him back at his ufa contact rate is not going to be worth the opportunity cost of that lost cap for Seattle.
Dunn isn’t getting that. Borgen is a bottom pair. He’s not getting a high salary.

they have 4 D under contract next year so they only carry 7. One of thr 3 thry fill would be a 7D

their F RFAs could get 2 yr contracts. In summer 24 Eberle and Wennberg are likely gone.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thanks for nothing, Philly.
Thanks for nothing, Tampa.

Elsewhere, Vancouver comes back only to loss in OT to the Devils and the Flames manage to take the lead, fumble that away and still lose in OT to the Rangers. No help anywhere tonight. *sigh*

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Dunn isn’t getting that. Borgen is a bottom pair. He’s not getting a high salary.

they have 4 D under contract next year so they only carry 7. One of thr 3 thry fill would be a 7D

their F RFAs could get 2 yr contracts. In summer 24 Eberle and Wennberg are likely gone.

You put forth your opinions as if they are always facts, but they are just speculation. Seattle has a cap issue, whether your model for ideal cap distribution tells you that it will be fine or not. Pundits around the league have been speculating that Dunn's next contract may start with an 8.

Francis is a great negotiator, but Dunn will likely use the rising cap in 2024 as a tool to either sign for fair value now, or sign for one year and cash in huge at 27 as a UFA. He has arbitration rights because they worked out a deal before his last arbitration case started.

Soucy probably gets close to 4M. It would not surprise me at all to see some desperate GM give him something close to the Oleksiak deal.

Borgen is playing fantastic hockey. he's been playing in the top 4 during injuries and has shown he belongs there. If I were a GM, I would not hesitate to give him a 3.5 offersheet and I'd be happy to give up a 2nd to have him locked up for several years. If he signs for much less than 3 he should fire his agent.

They have Oleksiak at 4.6, Larsson at 4. Schultz at 3.

Their forwards are going to come in close to 50 when all is said and done.

Then they have 9.4 in cap dedicated to their goalies.

If they don't make any improvements, they will have about 13 M to sign Dunn, Borgen, Soucy, Fleury, and another depth forward.

There is also a good chance that Beniers hits most of his bonuses this season and puts them over the cap, which will be applied to next season's cap.

The math just does not work. Seattle can't bring everyone back.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
You put forth your opinions as if they are always facts, but they are just speculation. Seattle has a cap issue, whether your model for ideal cap distribution tells you that it will be fine or not. Pundits around the league have been speculating that Dunn's next contract may start with an 8.

Francis is a great negotiator, but Dunn will likely use the rising cap in 2024 as a tool to either sign for fair value now, or sign for one year and cash in huge at 27 as a UFA. He has arbitration rights because they worked out a deal before his last arbitration case started.

Soucy probably gets close to 4M. It would not surprise me at all to see some desperate GM give him something close to the Oleksiak deal.

Borgen is playing fantastic hockey. he's been playing in the top 4 during injuries and has shown he belongs there. If I were a GM, I would not hesitate to give him a 3.5 offersheet and I'd be happy to give up a 2nd to have him locked up for several years. If he signs for much less than 3 he should fire his agent.

They have Oleksiak at 4.6, Larsson at 4. Schultz at 3.

Their forwards are going to come in close to 50 when all is said and done.

Then they have 9.4 in cap dedicated to their goalies.

If they don't make any improvements, they will have about 13 M to sign Dunn, Borgen, Soucy, Fleury, and another depth forward.

There is also a good chance that Beniers hits most of his bonuses this season and puts them over the cap, which will be applied to next season's cap.

The math just does not work. Seattle can't bring everyone back.

there is this 7.5% cap buffer that absorbed any bonus money an ELC earns.
If they resign Soucy, they will be moving a different higher salary Dman

they have about $20M in space with 10/4/2 under contract. 2 F and 3D are RFAs who this year total $8M. One of those F slots goes to Wright.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
there is this 7.5% cap buffer that absorbed any bonus money an ELC earns.
If they resign Soucy, they will be moving a different higher salary Dman

they have about $20M in space with 10/4/2 under contract. 2 F and 3D are RFAs who this year total $8M. One of those F slots goes to Wright.

I was talking about Benier's 2022-23 bonuses. The Bonus buffer does not absorb the bonus money overage, it just allows teams to go over the current year's cap and then it applies the overage hit to the following year's cap. Any amount Seattle goes over the current cap by due to bonus money comes off of next year's cap.

---

Sure, if they trade a player to make room for Soucy, they can afford to re-sign Soucy. But they are not trading Oleksiak or Larsson to re-sign Soucy, who is not a core part of their D. If Dunn asks for too much, he could price himself off the team I suppose, but Dunn is rounding into a #1 D, and he would be the toughest player on the team to replace.

The games he has been out, his absence was huge.

Believe what you want, I was just giving my personal speculation on their situation based on the real cap situation. It is my strong opinion that Soucy is likely going to the highest bidder on the UFA market, if he is not moved at this year's TDL. If Megna plays well, it would be Soucy who he will supplant in the Kraken lineup in the playoffs (assuming everyone is healthy). But they could have a roster limit conundrum in the coming weeks as they currently have 23 players healthy and practicing, and Beniers likely due back soon.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

The flip side of course would be why someone in Amherst with the ESPN+ package can't watch the home game despite paying for it.
I think the blackout rules only change once RSNs go away.

I can only assume that the blockout of local games on ESPN+ is all about RSNs and cable companies wanting to boost revenue by holding local sports coverage hostage.

I refuse to give Spectrum any more of my money. So, not getting to watch a lot of Sabres games is a cost of that decision.

:dunno:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

I can only assume that the blockout of local games on ESPN+ is all about RSNs and cable companies wanting to boost revenue by holding local sports coverage hostage.

I refuse to give Spectrum any more of my money. So, not getting to watch a lot of Sabres games is a cost of that decision.

Cool article! Hated losing him but that was the cost to keep Ullmark. Oh well.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I don't have an RSN package so I find... alternative methods. And then no one gets my money.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Cool article! Hated losing him but that was the cost to keep Ullmark. Oh well.

Just imaging if Ullmark was having this success but backstopping Jack in Vegas. Damnation and fiery rage in Buffalo sport fandom, I am sure. The tables would be flipped, not jumped on.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Reactions: Dingo44

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The flip side of course would be why someone in Amherst with the ESPN+ package can't watch the home game despite paying for it.
In fairness it is like that with all the other leagues AFAIK, except maybe the NFL because their TV deals are way different due to the nature of their schedule.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY

While I get the desire to not give Spectrum more money (Greenlight coming to my neighborhood has been wonderful), it sounds like your real beef is with the NHL/MSG. Probably MSG more than anything. Fubo streaming carries them, but last I knew that was it (other than Spectrum cable). As far as I know, there’s nothing preventing MSG from allowing other streaming services to carry their channel, other than their own financial demands. There’s a lot of blame to lay for sure. MSG pricing themselves out of TV service carriers. The NHL allowing regional blackouts to begin with and allowing exclusivity rights.

I had been excited for the coming MSG stand-alone app (basically MSG GO, except you wouldn’t need to authenticate with your cable provider login—instead you pay MSG directly). But this article makes it seem like it may only be in the NYC area for NYC area teams.

I don’t follow any other sports—are other leagues equally inept and behind the times the way the NHL is, as far as transitioning their content to internet-based, direct-to-consumer avenues?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
While I get the desire to not give Spectrum more money (Greenlight coming to my neighborhood has been wonderful), it sounds like your real beef is with the NHL/MSG. Probably MSG more than anything. Fubo streaming carries them, but last I knew that was it (other than Spectrum cable). As far as I know, there’s nothing preventing MSG from allowing other streaming services to carry their channel, other than their own financial demands. There’s a lot of blame to lay for sure. MSG pricing themselves out of TV service carriers. The NHL allowing regional blackouts to begin with and allowing exclusivity rights.

I had been excited for the coming MSG stand-alone app (basically MSG GO, except you wouldn’t need to authenticate with your cable provider login—instead you pay MSG directly). But this article makes it seem like it may only be in the NYC area for NYC area teams.

I don’t follow any other sports—are other leagues equally inept and behind the times the way the NHL is, as far as transitioning their content to internet-based, direct-to-consumer avenues?
The NBA and MLB are also dominated by RSNs for individual team games. My guess is that they have similar challenges. But, I do not care enough about them to find out. LOL

And ESPN+ has issues with college sports where loads of games on the conference networks (B1G 10, ACC, etc) & ESPN, ESPN2, etc. require a cable company login. It is really annoying when lacrosse and football games that I want to watch are not available to me.

And the NFL+ experience this past season was OK. The annoying part was that live games were limited to Tablets and Phones and you couldn't watch live games on TV.

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019

Totally with you on the bolded. I refused to pay them past my internet which I do not have an option for. SO...last month I decided to try FUBO so I could watch the games, and so far the $80 per month has been totally worth it. I will just dump it as soon as the season is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad