Around the NHL Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
What a horrible night for scoreboard watching. Caps win in OT, Flyers win big against Detroit, Columbus loses, and Carolina loses.

Arguably every single result went the opposite way from what I wanted to happen.

I can appreciate a Flyers victory if it at the Wings' expense. Contender in the East my ass.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I can appreciate a Flyers victory if it at the Wings' expense. Contender in the East my ass.

Not just a contender! They were going to destroy the East. Datsyuk's & Zetterberg's point totals were going to see an astronomical bump. Even CBJ was going to go from perennially one of the worst teams in the West to a true contender in the East (and personally I think they will make the playoffs, but it's because they finally have the personnel to do so as opposed to some magical Eastern Conference bump).

The West is surely more top heavy than the East but the difference isn't as great as it looked when so many East teams had west coast swings early in the season and the gap is closing. Plus it's not like they don't have punching bags of their own - Calgary and Edmonton are every bit as bad as Buffalo and Florida. And in Edmonton's case that's just sad.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Not just a contender! They were going to destroy the East. Datsyuk's & Zetterberg's point totals were going to see an astronomical bump. Even CBJ was going to go from perennially one of the worst teams in the West to a true contender in the East (and personally I think they will make the playoffs, but it's because they finally have the personnel to do so as opposed to some magical Eastern Conference bump).

The West is surely more top heavy than the East but the difference isn't as great as it looked when so many East teams had west coast swings early in the season and the gap is closing. Plus it's not like they don't have punching bags of their own - Calgary and Edmonton are every bit as bad as Buffalo and Florida. And in Edmonton's case that's just sad.

Haha......A funny thing happened on the way to the new conference.

I am sure they thought, "weak conference, not as nearly as much travel, we'll be much fresher....got this in the bag". Ooops.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Flyers and Caps have the toughest remaining schedule of the teams fighting it out in the metro, Columbus and NJD have the easiest schedule.

I don't think that is good news for the pens, if the Flyers and Caps fall out of the playoffs it opens the door for the Devils, which i think is the worst possible match up.

I think the Caps would be a perfect team for the pens to play, there goalies are terrible, def isn't very good, they aren't a good 5 on 5 team, they have had a hard time beating any team in regulation this year.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I would hate to see the Devils in the first round for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is that they always seem to beat the Pens no matter how much better the Pens are. Also they manage to be boring as hell regardless of whether they trap or not.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Flyers and Caps have the toughest remaining schedule of the teams fighting it out in the metro, Columbus and NJD have the easiest schedule.

I don't think that is good news for the pens, if the Flyers and Caps fall out of the playoffs it opens the door for the Devils, which i think is the worst possible match up.

I think the Caps would be a perfect team for the pens to play, there goalies are terrible, def isn't very good, they aren't a good 5 on 5 team, they have had a hard time beating any team in regulation this year.

I just want McPhee and the Caps to make another stupid deadline deal trading away another of their young players

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I just want McPhee and the Caps to make another stupid deadline deal trading away another of their young players

I want McPhee to stay in Washington forever. It was meant to be. Loser town, loser owner, loser GM. By loser in the latter two cases I mean their attitude about the team and reactions to losing over the years, not their financial success.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I want McPhee to stay in Washington forever. It was meant to be. Loser town, loser owner, loser GM. By loser in the latter two cases I mean their attitude about the team and reactions to losing over the years, not their financial success.

I want him to stay as well, and to keep making panic moves :D

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
And yet the Wild was (were?) completely unimpressive when they played against the Pens and in general are a pretty bland team. Another Jeckyl & Hyde team I guess.

I hope the Flyers don't make the playoffs because it's the Flyers and it's funny, but I'm not afraid of the Pens playing them. I'd almost welcome it. The Pens are the better team and should win, and maybe Flyers fans could quit talking about that debacle a few seasons ago where they won but were very nearly as bad as the Pens and went on to get embarrassed by the Devils in the second round. You'd think they swept their way to the Cup the way they bring up those playoffs. And maybe I could stop being bitter about that blatantly offsides Danny Briere goal.

Backstrom was in net. Parise was playing injured. Konopka was still in the lineup. Mike yeo needs to stop sitting zucker for rupp though so annoying. Question was Cooke always put up against the top line?

Last edited:

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
If only more of the Penguins loses came in OT or the SO like the Blackhawks' loses do. They have a league-leading 13 OT/SO loses.

Eh, I'll take the total of 16 losses in regulation, OT and SO combined for the Pens over the 23 total losses between regulation, OT and SO that the Blackhawks have.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Backstrom was in net. Parise was playing injured. Konopka was still in the lineup. Mike yeo needs to stop sitting zucker for rupp though so annoying. Question was Cooke always put up against the top line?

The Pens were missing Malkin, Letang, Orpik, Scuderi, and Martin. IIRC that was the game Harry Zolnierczyk was on the second line. You won't get much sympathy about injuries and AHL-caliber players in the line-up from Pens fans. :laugh:

To answer your question about Cooke, he was best on the third line with Staal & Kennedy. I do remember him playing on the top two lines occasionally due to injuries and he wasn't too bad, although not ideal obviously.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The Pens were missing Malkin, Letang, Orpik, Scuderi, and Martin. IIRC that was the game Harry Zolnierczyk was on the second line. You won't get much sympathy about injuries and AHL-caliber players in the line-up from Pens fans. :laugh:

To answer your question about Cooke, he was best on the third line with Staal & Kennedy. I do remember him playing on the top two lines occasionally due to injuries and he wasn't too bad, although not ideal obviously.

I believe the question is asking whether Cooke was out there against the opposition's top line and generally the answer is yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig