Around the NHL Pt. 4: Hockey returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
That’s a very shortsighted, ignorant, and insensitive look at it.

Often times alcoholics are alcoholics for coping purposes which are 100% mental.

Sure it can be. Its not insensitive at all. You don't have to have some deep seeded reason as to why you drink so much.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Sure it can be. Its not insensitive at all. You don't have to have some deep seeded reason as to why you drink so much.

Usually the fine line between an alcoholic and not is ones ability to control their intake. If one is capable of stopping anytime, even If there’s a lot of alcohol consumed, they usually are not considered alcoholics, just drunks.

If one can’t control their consumption, and are dependent on the alcohol to help them cope, then they are alcoholics.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Usually the fine line between an alcoholic and not is ones ability to control their intake. If one is capable of stopping anytime, even If there’s a lot of alcohol consumed, they usually are not considered alcoholics, just drunks.

If one can’t control their consumption, and are dependent on the alcohol to help them cope, then they are alcoholics.

I'm not disagreeing with that. I disagree with the notion that every alcoholic is drinking to cope with something and or the fact that just because you are drinking to cope with something that it means you are suffering from mental illness.

I mean in theory I believe this is what the quacks say because they have a label for everything and need a diagnosis in order to prescribe treatment and drugs... but the mental health industry is one the most fraudulent industries around.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm not disagreeing with that. I disagree with the notion that every alcoholic is drinking to cope with something and or the fact that just because you are drinking to cope with something that it means you are suffering from mental illness.

I mean in theory I believe this is what the quacks say because they have a label for everything and need a diagnosis in order to prescribe treatment and drugs... but the mental health industry is one the most fraudulent industries around.
This all started because you were trying to minimize and dismiss Lehner’s issues. It had nothing to do with issues with the mental health industry.

Maybe just let it go instead of tripling down on being disrespectful to something a lot of people struggle with.

Or keep being an dismissive and disrespectful. Your call.

Reactions: DJN21

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
This all started because you were trying to minimize and dismiss Lehner’s issues. It had nothing to do with issues with the mental health industry.

Maybe just let it go instead of tripling down on being disrespectful to something a lot of people struggle with.

Or keep being an dismissive and disrespectful. Your call.

I was in fact not being dismissive of Lehners issues. It was a question.. nothing more.

You know you're in 2020 when people flip out and call it disrespectful because some people may not be mentally ill. Lol

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I was in fact not being dismissive of Lehners issues. It was a question.. nothing more.

You know you're in 2020 when people flip out and call it disrespectful because some people may not be mentally ill. Lol

You literally dismissed the idea of what an alcoholic was, by saying “maybe you just like to drink”.

Calling professionals, that help these people, “quacks”, once again puts you on the wrong side of things. But this is what happens when you want to generalize ideas by using the specific terms incorrectly.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
You literally dismissed the idea of what an alcoholic was, by saying “maybe you just like to drink”.

Calling professionals, that help these people, “quacks”, once again puts you on the wrong side of things. But this is what happens when you want to generalize ideas by using the specific terms incorrectly.

Which had nothing to do with Lehner.

If you worked around these "professionals" like I do ..you'd call them quacks" too.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Which had nothing to do with Lehner.

If you worked around these "professionals" like I do ..you'd call them quacks" too.

No, I don’t, nor would I ever.

If you had shared experiences with people that are alcoholics that have gone through therapy, that received the help they needed, and seen the doctors actions directly helping them immensely, making sure they had sources that supported one another, and you saw those alcoholics come out on the other side mentally clear, happy, and on the path to success, you would value them indefinitely.

Reactions: DJN21

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
No, I don’t, nor would I ever.

If you had shared experiences with people that are alcoholics that have gone through therapy, that received the help they needed, and seen the doctors actions directly helping them immensely, making sure they had sources that supported one another, and you saw those alcoholics come out on the other side mentally clear, happy, and on the path to success, you would value them indefinitely.

Well don't get so defensive because I never said that alcoholics don't have mental health issues.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Well don't get so defensive because I never said that alcoholics don't have mental health issues.

I will admit it’s a sensitive subject for me personally, but I will get defensive when people make light of it and dismiss those that help people get healthy.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I will admit it’s a sensitive subject for me personally, but I will get defensive when people make light of it and dismiss those that help people get healthy.

Never made light of it.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I’m not piling on. I’m hopefully offering some nuance.
Or maybe you just like to drink.

That’s a very shortsighted, ignorant, and insensitive look at it.

Often times alcoholics are alcoholics for coping purposes which are 100% mental.
Isn’t science also finding increasing support for a genetic contribution / predisposition?

(seated)

Exactly.

many alcoholics progress to the point where they no longer “like to drink” (OP language), they just can’t stop / control it, and/or are not yet at the point where they like not drinking better than they like drinking.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
In before this is locked but I watched my father turn from a normal sports loving family man with a job to borderline homeless and an extra 100 pounds with anxiety issues and a boat load of other things because of alcohol. It's very much addictive and a disease. When we found him dead from heart failure the coroner deemed it related to alcohol related issues forcing all his major organs including his heart to shut down. You can deny the "quacks" and value whatever you want or believe whatever you think but until you've lived through it maybe post and talk more delicately because you aren't an expert and many other people although their opinions may differ from you may have merit.

And to get back on topic I'm glad Lehner recovered and is doing so well. Nothing makes me happier than a story like that. I wish him all the best and even though I hated when we traded for him I will cheer for him til he retires now.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
In before this is locked but I watched my father turn from a normal sports loving family man with a job to borderline homeless and an extra 100 pounds with anxiety issues and a boat load of other things because of alcohol. It's very much addictive and a disease. When we found him dead from heart failure the coroner deemed it related to alcohol related issues forcing all his major organs including his heart to shut down. You can deny the "quacks" and value whatever you want or believe whatever you think but until you've lived through it maybe post and talk more delicately because you aren't an expert and many other people although their opinions may differ from you may have merit.

And to get back on topic I'm glad Lehner recovered and is doing so well. Nothing makes me happier than a story like that. I wish him all the best and even though I hated when we traded for him I will cheer for him til he retires now.

You obviously didn't follow my posts very well. I never said alcoholism isn't all those things you mentioned. I've lived thru those close to me overcome by alcohol. I've had my own issues with alcohol.

Sorry for your loss and I share your feelings about Lehner overcoming his problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad