OT: Around the NHL: Playoffs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
oh goodie, Tortorella interview next on NBCSN to talk about the Pens...

--no mention of arrogance. disappointing.
rickmartel1.jpg

Last edited:
The least deserving team got McDavid, they don't deserve him at all and yeah Arizona has a really crappy city that won't help their team, but the league would be better off if Arizona had McDavid. That and they purposely sucked until they got McDavid, they hired idiots and were trying to keep sucking to keep picking high, they knew exactly what they were doing and I refuse to believe otherwise. They purposely tanked by hiring incompetent people.

They got McDavid, hired a decent GM, a solid coach, etc...not a coincidence.

So in short, **** the oilers, **** their fans, and **** their city.

I wish them nothing but 1st round exits in the McDavid era, because they deserve no more than that.

Why you heff to be mad?

Isn't it only fitting that the team that had Gretzky then got McDavid, just as the team that had Lemieux then got Crosby?;)

Besides, why are we vilified for sucking and being rewarded for it? The Pens had 5 straight top-5 picks in the early-mid 2000s- including two 1st overalls and 2 2nd overalls.

Most Oilers fans practically see the Penguins as our Eastern counterparts in terms of the symmetry between our two franchises. Never thought we'd see contempt on the other side of that coin.:laugh:

EDIT: Sorry for the intrusion. I was just bored and scrolling through this thread to see how ya'll are keeping tabs on the scoring race.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Why you heff to be mad?

Isn't it only fitting that the team that had Gretzky then got McDavid, just as the team that had Lemieux then got Crosby?;)

Besides, why are we vilified for sucking and being rewarded for it? The Pens had 5 straight top-5 picks in the early-mid 2000s- including two 1st overalls and 2 2nd overalls.

Most Oilers fans practically see the Penguins as our Eastern counterparts in terms of the symmetry between our two franchises. Never thought we'd see contempt on the other side of that coin.:laugh:

EDIT: Sorry for the intrusion. I was just bored and scrolling through this thread to see how ya'll are keeping tabs on the scoring race.

After selling off every good player they had because they couldn't afford to pay anybody with no salary cap, among various other reasons.

What's Edmonton's excuse?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the talent Edmonton has, and they are fun to watch, but lets not compare the two teams.

Last edited:
After selling off every good player they had because they couldn't afford to pay anybody with no salary cap.

What's Edmonton's excuse?

We had/have an idiot of an owner who is so emotionally invested in the 80s dynasty he witnessed first-hand, that he retained/re-hired two goofballs- who rode the coattails of Gretzky and Messier to have any success nonetheless- to (mis)manage the club......just imagine if Jiri Hrdina and Paul Stanton were in charge of the Penguins today solely because of their legacies of winning the cup on Lemieux/Jagr's early 90s squads??:laugh::laugh:

If Chiarelli and McLellan had been hired 2-3 years earlier, we would've never needed to strike it rich in the draft with a McDavid (or even a Draisaitl) in order to be competitive again.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
We had/have an idiot of an owner who is so emotionally invested in the 80s dynasty he witnessed first-hand, that he retained/re-hired two goofballs- who rode the coattails of Gretzky and Messier to have any success nonetheless- to (mis)manage the club......just imagine if Jiri Hrdina and Paul Stanton were in charge of the Penguins today solely because of their legacies of winning the cup on Lemieux/Jagr's early 90s squads??:laugh::laugh:

If Chiarelli and McLellan had been hired 2-3 years earlier, we would've never needed to strike it rich in the draft with a McDavid (or even a Draisaitl) in order to be competitive again.

Well... that's kinda my point. One happened because of ineptitude and one happened because of necessity.

Because of that, one can view one to be on purpose, and one to be because there was nothing else that could be done.

In the end, for a fan, it doesn't really matter. You have no control over what an idiot owner does. Just like we had no control over what was happening to our team.

Well... that's kinda my point. One happened because of ineptitude and one happened because of necessity.

Because of that, one can view one to be on purpose, and one to be because there was nothing else that could be done.

In the end, for a fan, it doesn't really matter. You have no control over what an idiot owner does. Just like we had no control over what was happening to our team.

Wait....so either the Oilers front office was inept, or they were deliberately tanking. It can't be both.

Also, it's a contested theory, but I can actually see it being plausible that McDavid's agents (Bobby Orr's group)- who were also representing Taylor Hall at the time and saw what little progress the Oilers had made in their rebuild- basically told Katz that he better be making swift changes to the front office if they want McDavid to stick around past his ELC....that might've been what ushered in Nicholson, Chiarelli, and McLellan in a matter of a month after winning the lottery.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Wait....so either the Oilers front office was inept, or they were deliberately tanking. It can't be both.

Also, it's a contested theory, but I can actually see it being plausible that McDavid's agents (Bobby Orr's group)- who were also representing Taylor Hall at the time and saw what little progress the Oilers had made in their rebuild- basically told Katz that he better be making swift changes to the front office if they want McDavid to stick around past his ELC....that might've been what ushered in Nicholson, Chiarelli, and McLellan in a matter of a month after winning the lottery.

:laugh:

I'm not getting into a battle of semantics with you. Like I said at the end of my post, it doesn't matter in the end. What happened, happened. Us fans had no control over it anyway. I have no beef with you or your team. I already said I enjoy watching them.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Why you heff to be mad?

Totally agree with you.

Eh, but you guys are probably used to the hate. Surprised to see it here. But hey, I guess it's everywhere.

Personally I am rooting for the Oil. Fun to watch them.

Good luck in the playoffs. An Oil/Pens SCF would be glorious.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Why you heff to be mad?

I'm a big Oilers fan, have been since Todd Marchant put Dallas away.

Once Crosby is gone/or when the Oilers start winning cups again, the hate and tears will rain down on Edm and McDavid.

Just embrace it and enjoy the ride.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Totally agree with you.

Eh, but you guys are probably used to the hate. Surprised to see it here. But hey, I guess it's everywhere.

Personally I am rooting for the Oil. Fun to watch them.

Good luck in the playoffs. An Oil/Pens SCF would be glorious.

Game 7 OT Crosby wins a face off against McDavid and sends it back to Schultz who puts it away.

Game 7 OT Crosby wins a face off against McDavid and sends it back to Schultz who puts it away.

Lol, I honestly wouldn't even care if that were the result.

I mean....so long as news reports don't surface three days after the Game 7 loss that Connor McDavid has requested a trade out of Edmonton because he banged the weather girl and his out-of-province girlfriend found out. LOL.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
My first hockey memories were Wayne and Mario on the same line against the Soviets, dad and my uncle dropping f bombs, lots of firsts for me during that time, was a Pens and Oilers fan ever since. After Wayne was traded I couldn't follow him to LA and leaned more toward Mario and the Pens. In an area where it is primarily Habs vs Leafs, Mario created some Pens fans and now Sid for the younger generation. There are still a few Oiler fans as well. I suspect McDavid will create a few more. Good luck Oiler fan.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Lol, I honestly wouldn't even care if that were the result.

I mean....so long as news reports don't surface three days after the Game 7 loss that Connor McDavid has requested a trade out of Edmonton because he banged the weather girl and his out-of-province girlfriend found out. LOL.

:laugh: Wouldn't be the first time there was a trade because of cheating.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Why would he open his mouth? Jackets slumping, Pens doing pretty good no point giving us lots of ammo.

Sure, just funny because the teaser for the interview was "hear why Tortorella thinks the Penguins are a perfect matchup for his Blue Jackets." All he did was kiss Sully's ass and say the BJs need to get to their game, i.e. typical coach speak.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Why you heff to be mad?

No, you guys purposely tanked.

Penguins were bleeding money because of a terrible owner and literally sold off players, you know the biggest part of the Jagr trade was money, right? Of course, not.

You guys sucked to get to where you are, by drafting high and in the process, destroying countless prospects until you guys got a few that were mentally strong enough to make it in that dump.

I have zero love for your team and its franchise and its fan base.

Enjoy that 1st round. It's all you'll get.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Why would he open his mouth? Jackets slumping, Pens doing pretty good no point giving us lots of ammo.

I missed the interview, what did he even say?

Sure, just funny because the teaser for the interview was "hear why Tortorella thinks the Penguins are a perfect matchup for his Blue Jackets." All he did was kiss Sully's ass and say the BJs need to get to their game, i.e. typical coach speak.

Ah just saw this. Yeah it's the old I respect the team and they're really good and coached well stuff, to kind of pump tires into the Pens in an egotistical kind of way. I don't believe for a second Torts has changed.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I think it's a bit silly and practically impossible to prove Edmonton tanked intentionally to stockpile top picks. :laugh:

The team just sucked top to bottom. Couple that with the widely accepted idea that it's a seriously unpopular destination for FAs and for guys to accept trades to, and you end up with a garbage team for a long time.

This team went through it for a handful of years after Jagr's departure too. I don't think we were trying to suck, but we did... Badly. :laugh: I will never forget Ric Jackman scoring in OT against the Coyotes to break our 18-game losing streak.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think it's a bit silly and practically impossible to prove Edmonton tanked intentionally to stockpile top picks. :laugh:

The team just sucked top to bottom. Couple that with the widely accepted idea that it's a seriously unpopular destination for FAs and for guys to accept trades to, and you end up with a garbage team for a long time.

This team went through it for a handful of years after Jagr's departure too. I don't think we were trying to suck, but we did... Badly. :laugh: I will never forget Ric Jackman scoring in OT against the Coyotes to break our 18-game losing streak.

You don't hire that many morons and then suddenly get rid of them the moment you got the one you were tanking for, for almost a decade, in McDavid. Just no way. There's just so much moronic stuff going on with that team for far too long for it to just be "Gosh darn unlucky-ness I guess *Shrug*"...**** that.

I don't buy that for a god damned second.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
That's fine, nobody's asking you to buy it. But look at the guys they hired; Chiarelli (fired April 15, 2015 and hired by EDM on April 24, 2015) just became available right before Edmonton hired him, and the same goes for McLellan (fired April 20, 2015, hired May 19, 2015).

Very real possibility that those were just the first legitimate hockey guys willing to go to Edmonton since the franchise went to **** post-Pronger.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I said years ago about stamkos that he was nothing without St. Louis feeding him non stop all game.

Now, I know he's more than nothing, but he's very one dimensional and hasn't been nearly the same threat without Marty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad