Around the NHL: Part XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Kinda random topic, but NHL needs to work out some of these scheduling quirks. Playoffs are mainly determined by division but the current matrix has you only playing some of your own division opponents 3 times. Just... no. Do a home and home with one division in the West, and only one game with the other. Then switch it off year to year. I can stand having McDavid at MSG 2 out of every 3 years. For example:

Home and home with every Pacific team = 16
One game vs. each Central team = 8
Three games vs. Atlantic teams = 24
Five games vs. each division opponent and four vs. one = 34

Next year...

Home and home with every Central team = 16
One game vs. each Pacific team = 8
Three games vs. Atlantic teams = 24
Five games vs. each division opponent and four vs. one = 34

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Gotta play minimum 4 against everyone in your division crazy you don’t see the devils again till March? I think caps same. That’s silly.

Reactions: Irishguy42

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Raymond is a stud. Detroit's top line is buzzin

Islanders are not nearly as good as I thought they'd be... They play their game but their defense is meh. A lot of it falls on the hope Dobson is a stud. Big and slow defense... not a threat on offense.

It's early and playing your first 13 games on the road is tough but I'm not impressed with this years version and never expected them to dupicate what they did last 2 years. It's an 82 game grind this season. No covid cup this year. This roster is old and got older. Half of the team is 30 or older and Parise is 37, Greene 39, and Chara 44. Thats like ancient. Plus they lost Eberle and more importantly Leddy and never replaced him. They thought Dobson may be the answer but he is struggling. They do have a good coach and good goaltending and play a structured game but this division is real tough and playing the way the Isles play wears on a team especially one that has a few players ready for social security. IMO its 50/50 whether they make the playoffs and even if they do I just don't see any way they go deep again.

Reactions: bl02

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’ve said it before but IMO this isles team had the perfect storm for their style the past two years. A short play in series and a shortened season last year. They could play playoff hockey the whole way. Doing it over 82 with this aged roster that feels even older now with parise and chara playing important mins isn’t ideal

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Rough back to back for the Isles with the Panthers tomorrow. I have learned not to bet against them these past few seasons and they have pretty decent goaltending which goes a long way, happy to see them finally showing their age though.

Chara is such a douche, can't wait for him to frick off already. Gets beat regularly and goes right to the cheap stuff because he knows he gets away with it.

Also a fun tidbit, I work for a company that is installing the soda lines in the new Isles arena, and they aren't even close to being ready to open that building. Don't be surprised if they open without concessions, other than that it's gonna take a miracle.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Raymond is a beast

He plays a basic game. Gets open in the slot and waits for players to feed him, and they do feed him for shots on goal. If not he buzzes around the crease to hunt pucks or forechecks. No confusion.

Also I hope Chinakov makes it, for no other reason than that the scouting community was so outraged when Jarmo picked him in the first round lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad