Around the NHL: Part XXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
ESPN and ESPN+ was PHENOMENAL move for the UFC and Disney. It has grown the brand tremendously.

I PRAY it has a similar outcome with the NHL. It's 2021... Everyone is streaming.

Didn't NBC shut down NBCSN? Why would they then dish out that much money? Fox would be nice.

Even something out of the box like Amazon. They have Prime Video AND Twitch.tv. Could be a great way to get a younger demographic. NFL and UFC have started dipping their toes into Twitch.

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Watch out for Fox. They may jump in.

fox is owned by disney so i'd think they would be part of the espn/abc deal?

the 3 companies that have several networks to work with and the $$ to make the deal are ViacomCBS, NBCUniveral and WarnerMedia. so my guess is one of those 3....WarnerMedia already has deals with NBA & MLB (TBS/TNT) and own 10% of hulu so already a tie-in to the new streaming deal as a side note.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
ESPN and ESPN+ was PHENOMENAL move for the UFC and Disney. It has grown the brand tremendously.

I PRAY it has a similar outcome with the NHL. It's 2021... Everyone is streaming.
I would think so.

ESPN+ and Hulu streaming are things that a lot of people have already. And the cost is better than NHL.tv.

That, and the fact that ESPN is probably on the TV passively in most bars/restaurants/etc daily unless something specific is requested. The amount of exposure the NHL/hockey is going to get from the sheer passivity of ESPN in the US will be huge alone, let alone the popular ESPN talking heads now being told to actively talk about hockey.

I am LIVING for the first time Stephen A Smith has a rant or something about hockey.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I would think so.

ESPN+ and Hulu streaming are things that a lot of people just have already. And the cost is better than NHL.tv.

That, and the fact that ESPN is probably on the TV passively in most bars/restaurants/etc daily unless something specific is requested. The amount of exposure the NHL/hockey is going to get from the sheer passivity of ESPN will be huge alone, let alone the popular ESPN talking heads now being told to actively talk about hockey.

I am LIVING for the first time Stephen A Smith has a rant or something about hockey.
I could see the UFC and NHL having similar demographics. It should work well. Disney/ABC has got crazy marketing for their content as well.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I could see the UFC and NHL having similar demographics. It should work well. Disney/ABC has got crazy marketing for their content as well.
It really is going to be a great deal for the NHL. Looking forward to it.

Will be interesting to see who the other broadcasting deal goes to.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
It really is going to be a great deal for the NHL. Looking forward to it.

Will be interesting to see who the other broadcasting deal goes to.

Still waiting for NHL to screw this up somehow and find an unconventional 'OLN' partner again.

Coming FALL 2021, NHL on HGTV. Who can resist adding subway tile and shiplap to Brett Howden's apartment?

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
fox is owned by disney so i'd think they would be part of the espn/abc deal?

the 3 companies that have several networks to work with and the $$ to make the deal are ViacomCBS, NBCUniveral and WarnerMedia. so my guess is one of those 3....WarnerMedia already has deals with NBA & MLB (TBS/TNT) and own 10% of hulu so already a tie-in to the new streaming deal as a side note.
Fox News/Sports/Broadcast is not owned by Disney. It is an independent company with plenty of cash.

Reactions: mas0764 and Leetch3

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Still waiting for NHL to screw this up somehow and find an unconventional 'OLN' partner again.

Coming FALL 2021, NHL on HGTV. Who can resist adding subway tile and shiplap to Brett Howden's apartment?
That's why I don't understand NBC. They'd be on USA and Peacock? WWE has just made a move to Peacock so it's possible. Streaming live games instead of 'NBCSN' and still have weekend games on NBC.

Either way.. If they pull in $800M a year in TV revenue... that'd be phenomenal.

Once the players pay back that escrow, which may take years, cap could skyrocket.. Which would be a very weird event. It would have to be somewhat controlled, no? Theoretically, Cap would go from $80M, over the next 3-4 years, to $100M in one offseason? OR are there constraints on how much the cap can raise YoY?

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

Didn't NBC shut down NBCSN? Why would they then dish out that much money?

Even something out of the box like Amazon. They have Prime Video AND Twitch.tv. Could be a great way to get a younger demographic. NFL and UFC have started dipping their toes into Twitch.
NBC shut down NBCSN for a lot of reasons. They didn't have enough programming outside of hockey to fill the network, they saw the entire of NHL package as something that might be too rich for their blood and the distribution of NBCSN was never that great. Their plan was to move any viable programming they retained to USA and the Peacock streaming service.

The NHL will want a major network to handle the playoffs that ESPN doesn't have. Fox would be a nice fit and also give the league a franchise spot (e.g. Wednesday nights, Sunday afternoon) on their schedules. Amazon and Twitch could find a place into the rotation but ESPN etc. gobbled up a lot of the ancillary stuff with their package.

Reactions: duhmetreE

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I know Kaprizov is 23 and “much” older than Kakko but if he can even come close to his level I would sign for that.
Also probably another reason for VK to stay and marinate another year. I don’t think Kaprizov would be this effective at 21 in the NHL as at 23

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Fox News/Sports/Broadcast is not owned by Disney. It is an independent company with plenty of cash.

didn't realize they were kept separate from the disney purchase. so that makes them players...and also have the option of secondary networks like FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad